romeo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you do HIIT cardio on a cardio glider or gazelle type machine.

Right now when I do hiit cardio,I either do sprints, or depending on the weather and access to a good place to run,I will use an exercise bike.

But the bike is getting a little repetitive,and I would like to try another option.

The 2 options I have in mind,since I can get both of these products cheap,are the cardio glider or the gazelle type products.

For anyone who is unsure of what these products are, the cardio glider looks like an exercise bike.Has a seat, pedals,and handlebars.But how it works is,you pull on the handle bars,and the seat goes up.Think of sitting on a bike and pulling yourself up so you are now standing, then sitting again and repeating.The exercise machine when I have used it before,sent my heart rate up pretty easily when compared to the exercise bike,But I have never tried to do hiit cardio on it.I am unsure rather or not you can go all out on it,like you can an exercise bike.With the bike,you can obviously just pedal as fast as possible,but not sure if you could really go fast enough on a cardio glider to make it feel like HIIT.

The 2nd option,are exactly like Tony Little's gazelle, only most likely better made.Its basicly a copy of a ski machine,but the platform you stand on is off the ground, and as one leg and arm goes forward,the 2nd goes back, then vice versa.I have used a product like this once, and while my heart was definantly pumping,I really dont know if you could go all out on one of these either.

So for anyone who is familiar with these products,do you beleive it is possible to do HIIT cardio?
    Can you really go all out with these products,or would going as fast as possible still not increase the heart rate enough to be considered HIIT?
    BTW,When doing HIIT,on the all out interval,my heart beat goes up to atleast 180+,so this would be what I would want to shoot for.

Thanks in advance.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Bikes can get annoying since you're in a fixed range of motion (it is machine cardio after all) and sitting down can get annoying. I would not give up on bikes though, there are ways to mix them up to make them more interesting, like not sitting down (some bike standing on the pedals, looks weird and I can't do it effectively, but I imagine those who are competant at it are interesting). Probably how the handlebars are placed varies how it feels as well.

Running is a great kind of HIIT, especially if there's a kill to run up or something.

I'm not sure what a 'cardio glider' is so perhaps you can provide a link to it or something?

As for a Gazelle, I do not see why you would not be able to do HIIT on it. You would really need to swing your legs fast in huge arcs, and maybe use the optional piston resistance found on the newer models.

Unlike a treadmill, where if you don't go fast you fall off, there's nothing compelling you to work hard on a gazelle, so it really needs to be user-driven. I think the newer ones come with a heart rate monitor and some 'speed' readout approximation, so that at least gives a performance and biofeedback gauge to look at to indicate whether you should be pushing more or not.

It might be harder to go all-out on Gazelles due to it being odd and hard to get used to. I may be distracting to keep your balance (due to the forward/back swinging sensation) in which case pushing harder can feel strange since it's kind of like swinging your limbs around wildly in space. It probably takes a lot of getting used to to use it effectively, which is why Tony can in the commercials since he probably uses them all the time since he has access to all of them.

I am thinking it might be a lot like swimming, where it is possible to do HIIT, however if you are a n00b like me who sucks at it and is afraid of drowning, we'd be too paniced and freezing up in the midst of it to actually push ourselves to any sort of significant degree.

I'd like to get on one with a hot girl like he does in the commercials, because that looks like a lot of fun. Probably need one of those 350lb models for that though... I guess 300lb would work too but would need a lighter girl like 100-130lbs.

cralu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Bikes can get annoying since you're in a fixed range of motion (it is machine cardio after all) and sitting down can get annoying. I would not give up on bikes though, there are ways to mix them up to make them more interesting, like not sitting down (some bike standing on the pedals, looks weird and I can't do it effectively, but I imagine those who are competant at it are interesting). Probably how the handlebars are placed varies how it feels as well.

Running is a great kind of HIIT, especially if there's a kill to run up or something.

I'm not sure what a 'cardio glider' is so perhaps you can provide a link to it or something?

As for a Gazelle, I do not see why you would not be able to do HIIT on it. You would really need to swing your legs fast in huge arcs, and maybe use the optional piston resistance found on the newer models.

Unlike a treadmill, where if you don't go fast you fall off, there's nothing compelling you to work hard on a gazelle, so it really needs to be user-driven. I think the newer ones come with a heart rate monitor and some 'speed' readout approximation, so that at least gives a performance and biofeedback gauge to look at to indicate whether you should be pushing more or not.

It might be harder to go all-out on Gazelles due to it being odd and hard to get used to. I may be distracting to keep your balance (due to the forward/back swinging sensation) in which case pushing harder can feel strange since it's kind of like swinging your limbs around wildly in space. It probably takes a lot of getting used to to use it effectively, which is why Tony can in the commercials since he probably uses them all the time since he has access to all of them.

I am thinking it might be a lot like swimming, where it is possible to do HIIT, however if you are a n00b like me who sucks at it and is afraid of drowning, we'd be too paniced and freezing up in the midst of it to actually push ourselves to any sort of significant degree.

I'd like to get on one with a hot girl like he does in the commercials, because that looks like a lot of fun. Probably need one of those 350lb models for that though... I guess 300lb would work too but would need a lighter girl like 100-130lbs.
    Gazelle Edge is perfect for HIIT. I was doing that long before I knew what HIIT was. You can follow the DVD with Toni Little and it guides you through the intervals and you can use gazelle to really work a lot of different muscles in the same time. I didnt have the one with resistance so I was using wrist and ankle weights. Also when you lean back you work your abdomen and you can stand on the "pedals" with legs straight, a little bend and a lot bend and you work your legs a lot. Toni guides through all of these movements.