Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PAmos wannabe's Avatar
    PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500)

Exclamation Anti-squat thread

Right, i know you're all going to be deaperate to flame me for this thread but please take the time to consider what im saying.
    Why not to squat:

1. My father is a doctor. He has a patient who has been bb'ing since 14yrs - he is now 40 odd - dreadful back problems and put it down to squats. Yes it could have been bad form or what not but...

2. Frank Zane - legendary bb'er. "Even with perfect form squats are dangerous" "you could squat from a lazy boy and not have enough padding to save your back" "The positive results from squats are not worth it for the life time of back pain i now endure".

3. Just imagine the spinal compression when you've got 200lbs+ resting on your back....
    "You don't regret the things you did... you regret the things you didn't do"

"very seldom do the lambs slaughter the butcher"

popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, good post. I hope no one flames you for that but:

REASONS TO SQUAT

1: It's the king of leg exercises.

2: I am doing Powerlifting so i have no choice!

3: It releases growth hormones, leading to growth in other areas!

4: What's a better way of getting rid of loads of tension and aggression that getting under 300lbs and pumping out 10reps????

guy_attitude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) guy_attitude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    may be ur rite !!

but then with chicken legs and well developed upper body, isnt personality going to look bad?

i give lot of time to increase pounds on squats.it helps as slowly and slowly body gets used to it and no bad form.

PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500) PAmos wannabe is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by popeye_99
    Yes, good post. I hope no one flames you for that but:

REASONS TO SQUAT

1: It's the king of leg exercises.

2: I am doing Powerlifting so i have no choice!

3: It releases growth hormones, leading to growth in other areas!

4: What's a better way of getting rid of loads of tension and aggression that getting under 300lbs and pumping out 10reps????

Your reasons to squat are perfectly valid and i agree with you. You just have to be cautious.

dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    as with everything, there are pros and cons to doing squats, you just have to decide if its worth it to you
    I was very fortunate to live in this time when bodybuilding was embraced by Hollywood, embraced by doctors, embraced by the world.
    -Joe Gold

I say we get that embracement back!

popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PAmos wannabe
    Your reasons to squat are perfectly valid and i agree with you. You just have to be cautious.
    I have built up to using 300lbs+ very slowly. I started with just the bar to learn the movement.

What I don't like are Smith Machine squats: these are dangerous because the bar is not free to move, leading to unnecessary 'compression' on the back because of poor range of movement.

I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50) I Am Vicious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "you could squat from a lazy boy and not have enough padding to save your back"
    The coach doesn't let us use any padding? We just use the bar and take it like a man.

kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100)

Cool

1. My father is a doctor. He has a patient who has been bb'ing since 14yrs - he is now 40 odd - dreadful back problems and put it down to squats. Yes it could have been bad form or what not but...

2. Frank Zane - legendary bb'er. "Even with perfect form squats are dangerous" "you could squat from a lazy boy and not have enough padding to save your back" "The positive results from squats are not worth it for the life time of back pain i now endure".

3. Just imagine the spinal compression when you've got 200lbs+ resting on your back....
    1. I think you should not condamn an activity because one person has had problems with it.

2. When you have proper form and when you can handle the weight squatting is much less dangerous than most other strenuous activities.

3. This may surprise you, but jogging puts more stress on the spine than squatting.
    --------------------
    Weight training is much safer than most other strenuous sports, injuries do occur. When you are performing an exercise where it is possible to get pinned under the weight(like back squats and bench presses) ALWAYS use spotters(human or mechanical) when attempting maximum poundages.

Low reps are generally safer than high reps, since high reps affect the concentration negatively and cause sloppy form because of fatique.

Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000) Tiger Driver is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Squating is pretty bad on your knees, and most bodybuilders have major knee problems later in life due to a lack of cartilage from it wearing away with squats. There are plenty of other exercises that I use instead of squats so I can save my knees

Originally Posted by kaylein
    Squating is pretty bad on your knees, and most bodybuilders have major knee problems later in life due to a lack of cartilage from it wearing away with squats. There are plenty of other exercises that I use instead of squats so I can save my knees
    Oh yeah, leg extensions. Shame they only give you a fifth of the results!

Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like leg extensions? Those are soo bad for your knees its not even funny.
    "If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - what would you tell him to do?" - Ayn Rand

I rep back

AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbsOfSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squats only do damage on your back when you break form. Also exercising your lower back can prevent damage.

deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Oh yeah, leg extensions. Shame they only give you a fifth of the results!
    this post brought to you by scientific evidence.

Originally Posted by deripsninU
    this post brought to you by scientific evidence.
    ^^^^^^^^^^This post brought to you by a non-scientific troll

deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deripsninU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ^^^^^^^^^^This post brought to you by a non-scientific troll

ooh, ouch, TAKE THAT.

bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bsr35802 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AbsOfSteel
    Squats only do damage on your back when you break form. Also exercising your lower back can prevent damage.
    Maybe the patient never worked his lower back in particular and relied on squats to build support by the lower back?
    boyscouT's Guide v2: Basic Nutrition
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

SQUAT RX VIDEOS: Your guide to squatting.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6203501

Deltology 101: for those struggling shoulders
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=474554

USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most legs exercises aer worse on your knees than squats.

n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You do realize Frank Zane was less than 200lb? And had small legs?
    Never visiting this forum again.

Originally Posted by n2d
    You do realize Frank Zane was less than 200lb? And had small legs?
    What do you mean by small legs?

He weighed less than me? I find that hard to believe!

skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vail
    Like leg extensions? Those are soo bad for your knees its not even funny.
    They aren't that bad if you don't go to full flexion. In fact, they are one of the recomended exercises for people with bad knees.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

If you like it, rep it.

kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100)

Cool

Squats can cause injuries, but training in isolation can cause muscle imbalances. Squatting is more complicated than leg extensions, so you will need to devellop skill in order to do it safely.

Remember, most of the time "dangerous exercises" are just exercises that require some skill.

dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dairyman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    basicalyl everythign is "bad" for u if u use proper form i dont see what the big deal is

n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n2d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you mean by small legs?

He weighed less than me? I find that hard to believe!
    From this site: Competition Weight: 180 lbs.
    Look at his legs in this pic. Also note that that is a quad pose.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by n2d; 05-29-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Originally Posted by n2d
    From this site: Competition Weight: 180 lbs.
    Look at his legs in this pic. Also note that that is a quad pose.
    He looks unreal. What's up with his ribcage?? I wouldn't call those legs 'small' dude!

He looks unreal. What's up with his ribcage?? I wouldn't call those legs 'small' dude!
    He does look unreal. Amazing bber. But look at his back developement or his arms compared to his legs.

Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sittin On 22_s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So where is the anti-bodybuilding thread at?
    Reasons not to bodybuild

1. A plate could fall on your foot
    2. You could **** yourself up if your a dumbass

Everything and anything in life has pros and cons, example:

1. Drink too much water, you might die
    2. Drink not enough water, you won't be your full potential

Their are people out there that advise you not to drink water, just because one person comes out and says "Oh it did this to me" doesn't mean its bad.

eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000)
    most people (not referring to thread starter, but people in general) hear stories about how certain exercises are bad for u, and then hear stories of people who tried them and ruined their back/legs etc (most probably due to bad form, but they leave tht part out) and it sticks in their mind, and they'll preach it without even trying it. most common exercises are lifts like deads, sldl, good mornings, squats etc. same applies to drinking too much water, eating too much protein, eating too much in general etc...maybe if more people were informed, and more open to try the above and see the great results they give, they might change their minds.

to the thread starter...

there could be a million factors involved in back pain. my mother has it, and shes never squatted...

i disagree with the quote...its the same as other situations...eg: 100 people are in a room...8 people state that sharks arent the killers made out to be by the media, yet only 2 say they are. chances are the other 90 will listen to the 2 individuals, because "sharks are killers" ahve been inprinted int heir minds thru media. int he same way, most ppl have imprints of stuff like "sqauts/deadlifts etc are bad" so when they hear the above comment, they feel its justified and proof enough for them to never do it again.

with perfect form, squats are perfectly safe. and im not just saying that. many of us here, especially me, have realised how little stress is ont he knee joint when squatting properly, its just that wen most people start squatting for the 1st time, they'll hear 2-3 clicks and say "oh my knees are ruined" and then walk over 2 the leg ext machine.

the compression is only for a limited amount of time, and you dont go to 200lbs clean of the mat...thru exercise etc ur muscles build up to effectively handle the load. and if there was a significant amount of spinal compresion, it shold lead to a decrease in heght, which we ALL know doesnt happen...

end of the day, squats rule. they always have ruled. they always will rule. if you choose not to do them, thts perfectly fine, but as for me, super squats...here i come!

got super squats?
    got ____?

skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One more thing with the spinal compression:

Coincidence that the squat record holder also holds the record for highest bone density?

(taken from spinal cord to measure)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

If you like it, rep it.

KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500) KMMuscle24 is not very helpful. (-500)
    lol, this was a pretty funny thread...

Originally Posted by KMMuscle24
    lol, this was a pretty funny thread...
    Way to go for bumping an old thread...

I still don't squat, not for fear of it being dangerous but because i can't working out at home with no power rack. Anyway, i can train my legs other ways.