ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Removing weight plates from machine or barbells after each workout?

For those of you that have home gyms, do you remove the weight plates from your machines or barbells after each workout?

Would leaving hundreds of pounds of plates on a machine or barbell for long periods of times cause too much stress on the bars after a while?

I like the idea of not removing the weight plates unless I need to just so i can easily keep track of what i used on my last workout, but im not sure if that's good for my equipment over time.
    Last edited by ASFx; 10-04-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have never removed the weights in my Home Gym. I have left over 400 pounds on my hack squat for many years without any signs of wear on the bearings. Most of the other items, such as the Olympic bars are really no different than dumbbells sitting on a dumbbell rack.

Besides, wanting to keep the weight on my equipment give me an excuse to get more!

cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cubbybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

I always need them for somewhere else my next workout, and usually warm up starting with just the bar anyways, so I put everything back on their storage. Plus when my training area isn't in order it puts me in a bad mood.
    Last edited by cubbybear; 10-04-2007 at 05:52 AM.

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you dont remove the weight, how can you warm up?

From my experience, its a good idea to progressively add weight on each lift, per exercise, especially on your heavier lifts.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mj.. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ASFx View Post
    For those of you that have home gyms, do you remove the weight plates from your machines or barbells after each workout?

Would leaving hundreds of pounds of plates on a machine or barbell for long periods of times cause too much stress on the bars after a while?

I like the idea of not removing the weight plates unless I need to just so i can easily keep track of what i used on my last workout, but im not sure if that's good for my equipment over time.
    1. Your gym your rules
    2. Not likely unless you were tring to do it.
    3. Don't worry be happy, if it is quality equipment it was meant for Gorrillas to play on it all day long without breaking.
    Some mornings I wake up and think maybe it is all a dream but it's not.. the fat suit is still there.

ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ASFx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the replies. I figured it probably wouldn't matter. I ordered 630lb of weight plates so I figure I'll have enough so that I won't have to remove them very often.

I also sent the same question to powertec about leaving the weight plates on their equipment and they replied with: "We have never a problem with the weight horns remaining "plate loaded."

Well i'd remove some of the smaller ones, but Im sure the heavier weight plates might stay on for a while. Also depending on the exercise, I will just end up warming up with dumbbells instead.

Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by need2eat View Post

From my experience, its a good idea to progressively add weight on each lift, per exercise, especially on your heavier lifts.
    Well I always remove the weights after EVERY workout...I like a clean and organized gym, but eh that's just me...we all have our preferences and differences..

Need2eat I agree lol...I always do my first warmup set with my barbell so removing the weights is something I ALWAYS do!

Yep well that's just me....JM

TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I never put my weights away. I have all my equipment setup for warm up.

Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000) Blue Blazer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TANK25 View Post
    I never put my weights away. I have all my equipment setup for warm up.
    I see...what's your set-up like? What do you have? Pics?

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are strong enough to use the weight, you are strong enough to put them away.

but i keep my rusty weights out side.
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

dannygu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dannygu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I also sent the same question to powertec about leaving the weight plates on their equipment and they replied with: "We have never a problem with the weight horns remaining "plate loaded."
    I have the Powertec WB-LS (leverage/hammer strength machine) . There are small foam "cushions" and rubber grommets where metal parts meet metal parts. For this equipment you should not leave weight on, as this will compress the material and render it ineffective to it's original purpose. Or it will crack and eventually fall off.
    But I think you are just talking about barbell/bench/rack (which I previously used), which wouldn't matter.
    "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion...

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

As for a barbell, the larger plates are really resting on the floor and taking the brunt of the weight. So it would depend how much weight the smaller plates, suspended off the floor, are pulling down on the barbell.

If the barbell is left in the air on a rack, then all it's taking the brunt of the all the weight plates.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

The Bulldog Honky *KNUCKLEHEAD*'s Avatar
    *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *KNUCKLEHEAD* will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Joey Mo View Post
    Well I always remove the weights after EVERY workout...I like a clean and organized gym, but eh that's just me...we all have our preferences and differences..
    same here

TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I see...what's your set-up like? What do you have? Pics?
    Powertec bench,body solid squat machine,body solid lat machine,treadmill,heavy bag,marcy bench,marcy utility bench,powertec t-bar machine, bike,roman chair,dumbbells from 8,20,30,40,75,100,105,dp stack for tri`s,tds tricep chair.
    Attached Images

Not the best camera
    Attached Images

jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm pretty much going to have to, my barbell sticks out in the doorway a little bit and if I have to close the door I have to move the barbell.

itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cubbybear View Post
    I always need them for somewhere else my next workout, and usually warm up starting with just the bar anyways, so I put everything back on their storage. Plus when my training area isn't in order it puts me in a bad mood.
    same here, except that when mine isn't in order it puts the wifey in a bad mood.

QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by *KNUCKLEHEAD* View Post
    same here
    X3...Iv'e been very careful of leaving stuff loaded after a friend of mine lost his 3 YO daughter because he left the bar loaded with weight on his bench..the little girl went and grabbed the bar as to climb up on the bench from behind, the bench went over and landed on her chest causing internal injuries that proved fatal. Sad story, and I hate to even think back at it, but I do every time before I exit my home gym.
    "it's always a good day to start lifting"
    Flex Magazine, Mar. '07, pg.44

"There is no secret routine, there is no magical number of reps and sets. What there is, is confidence, belief, hard work on a consistant basis, and a desire to succeed. This is what I mean when I say accept your limits and when the time is right, you will push right through your limits time and time again, mentally and physically."
    --Steve Justa

itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by QUALITYGUY1 View Post
    X3...Iv'e been very careful of leaving stuff loaded after a friend of mine lost his 3 YO daughter because he left the bar loaded with weight on his bench..the little girl went and grabbed the bar as to climb up on the bench from behind, the bench went over and landed on her chest causing internal injuries that proved fatal. Sad story, and I hate to even think back at it, but I do every time before I exit my home gym.
    Oh man, thats terrible, damn.

Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
    Damn that's terrible...QUALITYGUY1 you and your friend and his family have my sympathy...

I think there's a lesson to be learned in all of this...if you have kids or friends have kids or whatever and they come over often and are going in all the rooms...always lock your gym door or make sure everything is safe so nobody gets hurt..

And if working out with a friend always be smart..

Example: I was doing my deadlifts inside my power rack due to a lack of space I have...

I was deadlifting with my olympic bar and I told my friend to do deadlifts with the standard bar instead so we can finish quicker..

I had to slide my power rack over for whatever reason (can't remember why but anyway it had to be done..)

While I was moving it, BAM...the standard bar hit me in right in the shoulder! My friend had leaned the barbell against the power rack...why I don't know..

It was leaning in the corner and for whatever reason he leaned it on the rack...when I moved it, I got it right in the shoulder..

He basically laughed at me the whole time thinking I wasn't hurt, but yes I was in pain...he said he was sorry a few times but was always laughing...

I took a break and then decided to do my deadlifts anyway, he kept on saying, if your shoulder gets worse it's not my fault...

Lol, what an @ss haha

Just an example of stupid things that can happen when lifting...always be safe and be smart

JM

helicopterkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

i keep em on, its kinda like the stickers you put on your windows warning of an alarm....when someone sees crazy poundages of weight on the rack, they tend to stay away.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always put my dumbbells back on the rack, simply to keep the room tidy. I usually put the plates back on barbell movements. Depending on the machine, I may leave the plates on just for convenience purposes.

user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000) user23960508710788 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I never remove the weights.... one of the benefits of having a home gym, I can leave crap wherever I want it. Not a matter of strength, I'm too spent at the end of a workout to care about anything.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Leave em'. This aint no public gym, yo.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000) PowerD is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I began working out with guys who were just like damn dude pick up those db's, your done right? so i was just raised to know that a man puts his weights away. If i have 275 on the bar, Ill take the 25 off, put it on the tree, put the outside 45 on the tree, then take the same 25 i just took off, and put it back on. everything gets put in its spot, rests get taken off the bench, bars go in the corner, and the mats get regular cleaning

QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
    Damn that's terrible...QUALITYGUY1 you and your friend and his family have my sympathy...

I think there's a lesson to be learned in all of this...if you have kids or friends have kids or whatever and they come over often and are going in all the rooms...always lock your gym door or make sure everything is safe so nobody gets hurt..

JM

This happened in the 80's and I don't see these folks much anymore, but I'm sure their pain will always linger. My daughter actually hangs with one of their other kids and the topic never gets brought up any more.This is the reason I'm a stickler with this sort of thing...it was just such a shock.
    Yes JM, I hope that everyone thinks of safety in the gym both at home and away.
    "it's always a good day to start lifting"
    Flex Magazine, Mar. '07, pg.44

"There is no secret routine, there is no magical number of reps and sets. What there is, is confidence, belief, hard work on a consistant basis, and a desire to succeed. This is what I mean when I say accept your limits and when the time is right, you will push right through your limits time and time again, mentally and physically."
    --Steve Justa