MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bench press - it doesn't touch triceps

I don't know, I did incline, decline, and normal benching and NONE really use my triceps. It works the chest perfectly, but not triceps.

I think the best exercise for triceps is pulling down the ropes in vertical position!
    Is it wrong to love a being who cannot see? Such belief is the highest faculty a human being can develop.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MonarchX
    I don't know, I did incline, decline, and normal benching and NONE really use my triceps. It works the chest perfectly, but not triceps.

I think the best exercise for triceps is pulling down the ropes in vertical position!
    how wide of a grip are you using?

MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Flex500
    how wide of a grip are you using?
    Shoulder-wide.
    Should I use a closer grip?
    Is it wrong to love a being who cannot see? Such belief is the highest faculty a human being can develop.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    don't worry about feelnig
    <->

VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it might not specifically target the tricepts but they are involved in the 2nd upper half of the lift, indeed.

but yes you want a specific tricept workout in your routine.

weighted dips / close grip incline etc.

ever max in bench and get it off chest but get stuck half way up? tricepts baby.

strong tris will bail your top half out in benching. and many other workouts.

Originally Posted by $AJ
    don't worry about feelnig
    My chest is HUGE, but my triceps are the weakest muscles in my body...

Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpatron is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by VaporV
    it might not specifically target the tricepts but they are involved in the 2nd upper half of the lift, indeed.

but yes you want a specific tricept workout in your routine.

weighted dips / close grip incline etc.

ever max in bench and get it off chest but get stuck half way up? tricepts baby.

strong tris will bail your top half out in benching. and many other workouts.
    FFS!! Are you a total idiot? You come on a bodybuilding forum and still don't know how to spell 'TRICEPS'.

tricepts = idiot
    Trainee Under Myself!

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used to have the same problem. I fixed by doing tri and chest workouts on seperate days, like chest was on tuesday and arms friday. That way you can totally focus on them. Start off with like 4 sets of dips, pressdowns then skullcrushers or something along those lines. I don't feel by tri's too much during flat, incline, and decline bench either but thats ok because I am trying to get a chest workout.

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why are you doing BP to stimulate the triceps? Either do BP right and work the chest mostly or do CGBP right and work the tris mostly.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by David77
    Why are you doing BP to stimulate the triceps? Either do BP right and work the chest mostly or do CGBP right and work the tris mostly.
    bench pressing will always be about shouldres(~60%), tricep (~25%), chest(~15%)

can't stand it when people say it works chest mostly, IT DOESN"T, regardless of grip........a bit closer will work triceps a bit more, a bit further will work chest a bit more, but it's not like you can shift the percentages to 60% chest. you just can't.
    <->

VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VaporV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pumpatron
    FFS!! Are you a total idiot? You come on a bodybuilding forum and still don't know how to spell 'TRICEPS'.

tricepts = idiot
    perhaps i mispelled triceps this time, but id rather do that any day then be so anal retentive that i have to qoute and single someone out in a rude mannor.

mistakes happen, bad attitudes arent mistakes, thus you're the real idiot in this equation.

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

can't stand it when people say it works chest mostly, IT DOESN"T, regardless of grip........a bit closer will work triceps a bit more, a bit further will work chest a bit more, but it's not like you can shift the percentages to 60% chest. you just can't.
    I go by what I feel. After my chest workout my entire chest is sore all over and my shoulders aren't sore in the slightest bit (my tris are slightly sore sometimes). When I first started lifting I used bad form on my BP and the only things I worked were tris and shoulders, but I've since corrected that.

The most important thing in my experience in working the chest is not so much the grip as it is setting your chest and shoulder blades in the right position and keeping your elbows sticking out. If you bench like this there is no way that the ratios are the same as a BP with your shoulders up and elbows more towards the body.

Originally Posted by David77
    I go by what I feel. After my chest workout my entire chest is sore all over and my shoulders aren't sore in the slightest bit (my tris are slightly sore sometimes). When I first started lifting I used bad form on my BP and the only things I worked were tris and shoulders, but I've since corrected that.

The most important thing in my experience in working the chest is not so much the grip as it is setting your chest and shoulder blades in the right position and keeping your elbows sticking out. If you bench like this there is no way that the ratios are the same as a BP with your shoulders up and elbows more towards the body.
    david, what AJ is saying and i agree. Is that just because you dont feel it, doesnt mean the muscle isnt being worked.

I do a very intense bicep workout, 5 sets alternate dumbbell, 3 set preacher, 5 set standing barbell, 1 day high reps, 1 day power. etc, my biceps are hardly ever sore or feel worked besides right after workout. but i have gains in strength weekly, and flexed un-pumped at 18"

same thing for triceps, imo those paticular muscles just dont get a huge feeling unless you do very high number of reps that are specifically targeting them.
    Last edited by VaporV; 06-22-2005 at 02:33 PM.

rayk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rayk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yes, anytime you straighten your arm to lift a weight the triceps get worked, simple as that. But to blast Tri's I love Dips and Skullcrushers. Can't beat em
    BA Sport Science, Lvl 2 Strength and Conditioning

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

I disagree with that. If you can find the right grip, you can really feel it in your chest. I used a closer grip today and it worked great. I would say chest is much more involved than you think.