Registered User laidbackintx720's Avatar
    laidbackintx720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How can I gain muscle and lose fat?

Hi all! Im new at this so bear with me. I have started working out seriously about 2 months ago and I am fairly pleased in my gains. I have a good workout program (thanks to you guys), but my problem is that as my upper body is getting bigger but I cant seem to lose the extra weight around my middle. I am 5' 8" tall and weigh 160 lbs. Can someone tell me how to keep gaining mass and lose the flab at the same time? Thanks for your help!

Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is this bodybuilding's Holy Grail?! I've recently been trying to lose the chub after a long lay off from training. The basic plot has been to reduce carbs and maintain steady blood sugar levels to avoid (as far as possible) crossing the insulin threshold where the body switches to fat storage mode. After seven weeks I've lost 2 inches from my waist. The interesting thing is, my muscle size has returned over the same time. Take a look at 'diet' sites such as zoneperfect.com and try to cut down on carbs whilst keeping protein intake high. Please note: I'm no expert, but it's happening for me!

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    As I have posted before, if you choose to go this route your progress will be VERY slow. I would suggest pick which is your biggest priority, loseing the chup or gaining mass. It is very hard to gain mass without gaining some fat at the same time, much less losing fat.
    I am not saying it can't be done, just that you will need to adjust your diet as Rigid pointed out above, keep your protein high, and here is the key, getting your carb intake at just the right level. Too little and you will slow your metab to the point fat lose will stop or slow, to much and the same. If you choose to go this route expect slow progress, OR
    Just clean up your diet as best you can and go on a bulk and add mass quicker, plus more fat, OR go on a cut and forget about adding mass and get rid of the fat while maintaining current mass.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Hey Laidback................

Ditto to what Charger has said here. He's right on the $$$.

However, you STILL may want to follow the bulk up approach, keep your protein intake high, AND bring in CARDIO (3X weekly at 20-30 min. intense sessions) to help stabilize fat gain and maybe burn some off. It works for some, others it doesn't. Worth a shot!

Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rigid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think you need worry too much about metab slow-down if you just carb-pick (low-glycaemic) and generally avoid the very dense stuff (pasta, potatoes, bread, etc). Metab slow-down tends to occur when food intake is severely reduced which it needn't be if you take the Zone approach. Also, exercise tends to increase metabolic rates which would probably counter the negative effect if you ate really light for a period, but really there's no need to suffer. Calorific intake needn't actually change much, it's more about food swapping than food reduction. But at the end of the day Charger's right about your progress, you can't expect to grow like a gorilla on decca if you are munching mainly on lettuce leaves (which is pretty much what gorillas do, actually!)

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Rigid
    I don't think you need worry too much about metab slow-down if you just carb-pick (low-glycaemic) and generally avoid the very dense stuff (pasta, potatoes, bread, etc).
    Ya, I agree, BUT, on my last cut I cut my carbs WAY back, was basically eating nothing but protein, you know how most men think, if a little works, a little more will work better. Well anyway it worked great for a while then I noticed my weight lose stopped, really ticked me off cause I was being really strick with my diet. Another member suggested I may have cut my carbs too low and I uped them a litte, and it kick started my fat lose again and I must say I felt better.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) edster951 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Charger
    Just clean up your diet as best you can and go on a bulk and add mass quicker, plus more fat,
    OR
    go on a cut and forget about adding mass and get rid of the fat while maintaining current mass.
    Well put. Exactly what I'm doing right now, but it feels funny not cramming in all the food for the calories for mass.

I have to constantly remind myself I'm shedding fat during this cycle, NOT mass gaining.

That will be my priority after November.

As I said, feels funny thinking differently.
    edster951
    Invercargill
    New Zealand

www.angelfire.com/zine2/transformation/