QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Glutamate & aspartate a problem with whey

An interesting article found here:
    http://www.idealspine.com/pages/AJCC...your_brain.htm

Key highlights

* Glutamate (an amino acid) is the brain’s primary excitatory neurotransmitter. However, excess glutamate kills brain neurons and is therefore called an “excitotoxin.” Too much glutamate literally excites brain neurons to death.

* Aspartic acid (or aspartate) is the brain’s second prevalent excitatory neurotransmitter. Aspartate poses the same deleterious toxicity to brain neurons as does glutamate, and is therefore also labeled as an excitotoxin.

* Physician William Walsh, MD, a Fellow of the American College of Allergy and a former Fellow at the Mayo Clinic, notes in his 2000 book,4 the most frequent causes of allergy are:

1) Glutamate

2) Acid foods

3) Aspartame

4) Refined Carbohydrates

5) Certain Proteins

Note, glutamate is #1 on Walsh’s list, and Aspartame is #3.

* In 2002, an article published in the British Journal of Anaesthesia9 notes that glutamate is related to chronic pain sensitization.

* Most of us know glutamate by its salt form monosodium glutamate or MSG.

Hidden sources of processed free glutamic acid (MSG):

Autolyzed
    hydrolyzed
    glutamate
    glutamic acid

These ALWAYS contain MSG:

Glutamate
    Glutamic acid
    Gelatin
    Calcium caseinate
    Textured protein
    Sodium caseinate
    Yeast nutrient
    Yeast extract
    Yeast food
    Autolyzed yeast
    Monosodium glutamate
    Monopotassium glutamate
    Hydrolyzed corn gluten
    Hydrolyzed protein (any protein that is hydrolyzed)

These OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing:

Carrageenan
    Maltodextrin
    Malt extract
    Natural pork flavoring
    Citric acid
    Malt flavoring
    Bouillon and Broth
    Natural chicken flavoring
    Soy protein isolate
    Natural beef flavoring
    Ultra-pasteurized Soy sauce
    Stock Barley malt
    Soy sauce extract
    Whey protein concentrate
    Pectin, Soy protein
    Whey protein
    Protease
    Soy protein concentrate
    Whey protein isolate
    Protease enzymes
    Anything protein fortified
    Flavors(s) & Flavoring(s)
    Anything fermented
    Anything enzyme modified
    Enzymes anything
    Seasonings
    Natural flavor & flavoring

* MSG reactions have been reported to soaps, shampoos, hair conditioners, and cosmetics, where MSG is hidden in ingredients that include the words ‘hydrolyzed,’ ‘amino acids,’ and ‘protein.’ Low fat and no fat milk products often include milk solids that contain MSG. Drinks, candy, and chewing gum are potential sources of hidden MSG and of aspartame and neotame.

* According to the manufacturer, Varivax-Merck chicken pox vaccine (Varicella Virus Live), contains L-monosodium glutamate and hydrolyzed gelatin both of which contain processed free glutamic acid (MSG) which cause brain lesions in young laboratory animals, and cause endocrine disturbances like obesity and reproductive disorders later in life. It would appear that most, if not all, live virus vaccines contain MSG.”

* Apparently, both glutamate and aspartate enter the brain through holes in the blood brain barrier at the hypothalamus, called the “circumventricular organs.” Ironically, damage to the hypothalamus might cause fluid retention and reduced ability to control appetite, both of which are related to weight gain. This suggests that individuals using these products to control weight may experience weight gain.

* MSG, the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamic acid or glutamate, is an additive used to enhance the flavor of certain foods.

* Glutamate acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain, and abnormal function of glutamate receptors has been linked to neurologic disorders such as Alzheimer disease and Huntington’s chorea.

* Aspartame has been associated with an increased incidence of brain tumors in animals. In humans, aspartame has been linked with head aches, seizures, dizziness, movement disorders, urticaria, angioedema, and anaphylaxis.

* Glutamate is a major excitatory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, widely involved in migraine mechanisms. Migraine headache sufferers have substantially higher plasma glutamate and aspartate levels than do control patients.

As you can see glutamine, Aspartic acid (or aspartate), and MSG are found everywhere. Currently I'm taking Optimum Nutrition whey (the #1 seller here on this site) and it has both the following ingredients:

L-Aspartic Acid 2490 mg
    Glutamine 3870 mg

I've noticed that they are both in much higher concentration (milligrams) than any of the other ingredients. It's kind of scary because you really can't avoid either of these ingredients; even if you are not taking a whey protein supplement. Having 2 or 3 shakes a day will definitely increase the odds of the neurological problems from above, as opposed to a non-whey related diet. I can't help but thinking that all the crap that is put into food these days is the reason that no one dies from natural causes anymore.

Oh well I'm probably not going to quit whey anytime soon, but this article does leave some reason of concern. Since we are all health conscientious here the concern should be shared and perhaps a better (whey) produce should be distributed.
    5'10'' 195Lbs (Bulking)

Body fat % - 1% like milk baby!!!
    Errrr... wait I'd be dead!

Da Cap'n says, "U can count on me 2 let U down."

Blue walls home wrecker and a certified ass inspector.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth
    has a chance to get its pants on. (Churchill)

QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuikSilver78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump!!!

C'mon people atleast a few replies!!!
    5'10'' 195Lbs (Bulking)

Body fat % - 1% like milk baby!!!
    Errrr... wait I'd be dead!

Da Cap'n says, "U can count on me 2 let U down."

Blue walls home wrecker and a certified ass inspector.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth
    has a chance to get its pants on. (Churchill)

valeron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I'm in the same boat

I knew exactly how you feel, I just bought 2 5lb of ON 100% whey too.....

besides

L-Aspartic Acid 2490 mg
    Glutamine 3870 mg

how much additional sweeterners are we taking in ?
    Last edited by valeron; 06-14-2005 at 04:18 AM.

yongkis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Headache

I have just bought Prolab Whey Protein and Nitro Tech. Both have similar effect after I have taken it. The headache will last a day and a half. After that I will be back to normal again. What is wrong, I am still trying to figure out until now.

Not enough Carbo or what ?

Sigh... this stuff is expensive!

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dang this is distressing. I drink two whey shakes a day =(
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

RubberDuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump for more input

100% addicted to winning dp13368's Avatar
    dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dp13368 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    post this is in the supplement section for more/better quality responses.
    2004 NCAA Men's Soccer Final 4
    2005 National #2 Ranking

"Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?" -Lance

samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Move this to the supplement forum. I think it's quite important.

cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cabbage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been researching this lately too because I started noticing headaches after increasing my glutamine intake. I had just bought a 5 pound mixture of hydrolyzed whey/hydrolyzed casein too... Apparently whey is high in L-Cysteine too, and that is neurotoxic as well. How serious do you think this is? If it's in all of our other food, then we might as well get it from our whey too. I think I read that only about 23% of the population reacts to glutmate, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't killing the people that don't notice side affects... Maybe if you use the whey right after a workout when you need it, your muscles will take in the neurotoxins instead of your brain... I hope we don't all don't end up with Parkinson's, ALS, and Alzheimers...