skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

slight pain in shins after/during running on treadmill

Is this normal? I've just recently started running (I used to be too fat). My normal routine has been doing a few sprints at 9.5mph on the treadmill HIIT style after lifting. By my third sprint, and when i get off the treadmill, i have a twingy kind of pain in my lower shins. Is this normal for someone fairly new to running? Will this pain subside over time? Or is this a bad sign, and should i go back to lower intensity or cycling?
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10) brokenchair is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sounds like shin splints. you might want to take it easy on the treadmill and switch to the bike to reduce impact. here is something i found on it:

"Home treatment includes decreasing pounding activities for 2 weeks to 2 months. Low-impact activities, such as bicycling and swimming, can be a safe substitute for high-impact activities (like running) and won't stress the shin area in the same way as repeated pounding. The use of ice packs, warm soaks, a protective wrap to the shin, and anti-inflammatory medications can help relieve pain and swelling. Physical therapy may also be helpful."
    32 5'10" 180lbs 10%bf

JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It sounds like you might have shin splints. I used to run but I'm by no means an expert and you shouldn't take my advice as a complete fact. Shin splints (I think) occur when the muscles that are in the front of your lower legs (right along your shins) are underdeveloped as compared to your calves. Some gyms have machines for these muscles. But an exercise could be just standing and while leaving the heals of your feet on the ground raise your toes and the rest of your feet off the ground (Kinda like reverse calf raises). This should help if shin splints are your actual problem.

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I suffer from shin splints and abuot a year ago went through PT. Here are some things that will help you out:
    (1) Make sure you adequately stretch your calves out prior to running. I am taklking 10-15 minutes of stretching
    (2) Start off slow in terms of mileage and speed which will allow your body to warm up
    (3) After you run, rub ice along your shins, this will help with any inflammation
    (4) Stretch some more

Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    More than likely it's a mild case of shin splints. Considering you're new to running, the running might be a bit of shock to the body. Are you warming up properly? I'd advise walking at a moderate pace for like 10 minutes before you actually start running. There are also some stretches you can do to help with shin splints by rolling your foot around as if you're trying to draw an "O" with your foot. Are you wearing the proper running shoes? This is really important. You need a running shoe that conforms to your foot type; neutral, over/under-pronator. It's pretty easy to find out what foot type you are. Do a Google search to find out some tests to determine your foot type.

In the meantime, take the advice of no running for a bit. The stationary bike is a good suggestion. If it is indeed shin splints, you'll want to reduce any inflammation now so this isn't a reoccurring problem. The Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation rule of thumb can be applied.

Just a couple thoughts/suggestions.

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to build up your tibialis anterior; do a search for some exercises, there's info out there already.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

suchez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can also tape your shins, to relieve the pain in the meantime while your legs adjust. Shin splints are when the muscles in the shins actually pull away from the bone (just the muscle itself, not the tendon!), so wrapping tape from the ankle area up to the lower calf area will relieve this problem. Start with some pre-wrap, then some cloth athletic tape. It should be snug, but not too tight (too tight will cause great pain when you stand or run). Experiment with it, and good luck!

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Make sure you are running in a decent pair of trainers. I had shin splints before, and found new shoes made quite a difference.
    "Something witty and humorous"

trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DavetheDog
    Make sure you are running in a decent pair of trainers. I had shin splints before, and found new shoes made quite a difference.
    Yes, don't underestimate the power of good shoes. I had a knee problem that went away completely once I got a better pair of shoes that was more cushioned.

CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseySurf19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Make sure you adequately stretch your calves out prior to running. I am taklking 10-15 minutes of stretching"

actually stretching past 30 seconds has no effect.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone!
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    also it could be a bad combination of you and the treadmill. I played baseball all the way up to highschool and then lacrosse my entire highschool career and never suffered from shinsplints even though I was running around like a maniac. Yet the only times I have ever been on the treadmill i have gotten shin splints. I stick to the stationary bikes and havn't had any problems since.