sandworm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wrist Pain During Concentration Curl

Hi guys,

I get wrist pain during my concentration curls. I'm sure, though, if it's because my forearm strength is lacking, or if it's from Carpal Tunnel. In any case, I felt like my exercise was wasted last night, because I could only feel my wrists, not my bicep.

Is there any way to know? I'm pretty sure a Taiwanese doctor can't help me. They usually say, "Drink more warm water."

If it's my forearm strength, what exercises can I do to improve it? Is this something I should dedicate an entire day to?

Thanks!

trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trace has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How and where does your wrist hurt? The nature and location of the pain could give more clues on what the cause might be.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A few things...

You might be using too much weight

Keep your forearm/wrist straight during the entire movement, don't bend the wrist

I'm guessing that one of those two is your problem. Otherwise, you might indeed have Carpal Tunnel and should take a break from lifting...maybe take some ibuprofen, and if it doesn't get better, see a doctor or occupational therapist, you may have damaged a nerve. I had tendinitis in my wrists before, still kinda do...it sucks
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sandworm
    Hi guys,

I get wrist pain during my concentration curls. I'm sure, though, if it's because my forearm strength is lacking, or if it's from Carpal Tunnel. In any case, I felt like my exercise was wasted last night, because I could only feel my wrists, not my bicep.

Is there any way to know? I'm pretty sure a Taiwanese doctor can't help me. They usually say, "Drink more warm water."

If it's my forearm strength, what exercises can I do to improve it? Is this something I should dedicate an entire day to?

Thanks!
    drop concentration curls from your routine, theyre a useless and over rated exercise. What does your bicep routine look like?

Right now I do standard DB curls, hammer curls, and concentrations. What else can I do? I only have DBs at my disposal.

As for the pain, it feels like about half joint pain and half weakness.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't do concentration curls and thank me later
    Chicks dig big calves

What would you recommend in exchange for concentration curls? That would drop my routine down to only two exercises...

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Right now I do standard DB curls, hammer curls, and concentrations. What else can I do? I only have DBs at my disposal.

Since you have only DB's....

start off with standing DB curls, then try a set or 2 of static DB curls. As you curl the left DB, hold the other DB at a 90 degree angle, then as you come down with the left arm, switch positions and curl your right DB. Keeping one dumbbell at 90 degrees at all times will stress your muscles more. More stress=more growth.

Hammer curls

seated incline dumbbell curls

Since you don't have an EZ bar or barbell, your options are somewhat limited, but that's still a good DB only workout. And yes, concentration curls are overrated
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to get pains in my wrist when I did curl movements in general, I just realized that my wrist was not strong enough so I lower the weight for curls and worked out my forearms, in about 3 weeks I was able to move back up to heavier weights for curls and there was no pain

ONAPATHTOSELFDESTRUCTION soserious's Avatar
    soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
    drop concentration curls from your routine, theyre a useless and over rated exercise. What does your bicep routine look like?

agreed, hope your wrists get better soon.
    if an exercise is causing or exagerating existing problems or pain you need to question its value to your body and routine.
    good luck.
    AS I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL, `COS IM THE MEANEST F##KER IN THE LAND, AND I CARRY A BIG KNIFE!

www.faithfreedom.org
    http://hardgainer.co.uk/

Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does it hurt right now or only during the exercise?

Do wrist curls and switch to dbs

gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i used to have a wrist pain before i sprained one of them (pain had nothin to do with the sprain). when i did barbell curls or of the same, its like, when id hold the bar with a normal underhand grip and hold the weight with it its like my wrists are twisted to far and cant hold the pressure like that. i developed tendonitis from this. just start doing dumbell curls and make hammer curls your best friend. maybe get some tape to tape them up or soemthign bc that helped me alot.
    If one person goes out at does something special to accomplish their dreams it affects thousands.

Those with the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.

Kappa Sigma
    Omicron Chi- Alpha class
    4-28-2007

Staff Sergeant, USAF SDF________'s Avatar
    SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ditch the concentration curls.

chins, bb/db curls, and hammer curls are a good start