Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up Anyone into MMA fighting?

I'm a pretty big newbie. I got height and size to my advantage, and I'm planning on getting into thai boxing and wrestling. Theres schools for both near where I live which works out nice. I just want to get in real good shape, but I'm not scared to step in and fight someone when I've trained a while longer. I feel I already got some good footwork skills, and power/punching skills. Not to good at kicks, but I'm a good wrestler, but I'd need to train that.

I'm pretty excited, the Ultimate Fighter show on SpikeTV got me really interested in MMA fighting again. I've been interested in getting into competitive fighting since I started working out, but that show inspired me to get off my ass and start looking. I may never be a Ken Shamrock or Tito Ortiz, but I'd like to get to the point of competitive amateur fights around my area.

I'm gonna modify my bodybuilding workout pretty heavily to much more of an explosive athletic training style, incorporating lots of sparring, HIT cardio, bag work, roadwork, agility drills and plyometrics. My lifting days will probably be cut to 2-3 days / week and I'll work on things like Overhead Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans, and other big compound movements. I realized I would rather have an athletic body than a nicer looking trophy body and I think competitive fighting would be the best way to motivate myself to get in top physical shape.

So I'm thinking of getting into wrestling and thai boxing (mauy thai). I think starting with those disciplines would be a pretty good starting base - I'll learn a lot of striking and groundwork is my logic. What do you guys think of this? What are your styles and why did you choose them? I think because of my size and power I should focus lots of effort on groundwork and grappling, and learn another style with explosive striking using knees/elbows and kicks (mauy thai), as well as big punches. Apparently the thai boxing school teaches with a western style boxing influence as well, which sounds pretty cool to me.

Anyways I'm pretty excited to get paid and get started. I'd like to hear what you guys do, and any advice you have for a beginner.
    Last edited by mike_d; 03-18-2005 at 11:22 PM.

stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i used to train in houston with alvis solis and duane crutchmaster stevenson, I am an ex college/minor league ball player. if you need any help, connections, or advice let me know. I trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with an emphasis in Muai Thai

Mishima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mike_d
    I'm a pretty big newbie. I got height and size to my advantage, and I'm planning on getting into thai boxing and wrestling. Theres schools for both near where I live which works out nice. I just want to get in real good shape, but I'm not scared to step in and fight someone when I've trained a while longer. I feel I already got some good footwork skills, and power/punching skills. Not to good at kicks, but I'm a good wrestler, but I'd need to train that.

I'm pretty excited, the Ultimate Fighter show on SpikeTV got me really interested in MMA fighting again. I've been interested in getting into competitive fighting since I started working out, but that show inspired me to get off my ass and start looking. I may never be a Ken Shamrock or Tito Ortiz, but I'd like to get to the point of competitive amateur fights around my area.

I'm gonna modify my bodybuilding workout pretty heavily to much more of an explosive athletic training style, incorporating lots of sparring, HIT cardio, bag work, roadwork, agility drills and plyometrics. My lifting days will probably be cut to 2-3 days / week and I'll work on things like Overhead Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans, and other big compound movements. I realized I would rather have an athletic body than a nicer looking trophy body and I think competitive fighting would be the best way to motivate myself to get in top physical shape.

So I'm thinking of getting into wrestling and thai boxing (mauy thai). I think starting with those disciplines would be a pretty good starting base - I'll learn a lot of striking and groundwork is my logic. What do you guys think of this? What are your styles and why did you choose them? I think because of my size and power I should focus lots of effort on groundwork and grappling, and learn another style with explosive striking using knees/elbows and kicks (mauy thai), as well as big punches. Apparently the thai boxing school teaches with a western style boxing influence as well, which sounds pretty cool to me.

Anyways I'm pretty excited to get paid and get started. I'd like to hear what you guys do, and any advice you have for a beginner.
    good to see someone so motivated, just dont over do it, martial artists in general overtrain more than most athletes. My base art is taekwondo, but i cross train in BJJ/Kungfu and occasionally Jeet Kune Do (although those classes seem more like BJJ+MT lessons). A MT school that combines western boxing sounds well on the money. in terms of weight training work outs, stick too the big "man maker" exercises you mentioned and move away from the body building style isolation moves. And dont go for long runs, a lot of martial artists do this, running 4 miles does'nt translate well into a martial arts ring/octagon/square, keep cardio specific to what your doing, so the HIIT cardio you mentioned would be a good idea. you seem to be on the ball in terms of the training style needed. just make sure you get plenty of rest and a good diet down.

bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i train man...

I more of a grappler, train about 3-4 times a week...do a lot of bag work and lots and lots of grappling. I wouldnt try wrestling if i was you, you will lack submission knowledge, if anything learn the takedowns and thatll be good then learn some BJJ.
    Fukc dieting you only live once-me

U.S. Navy Corpsman...Corpsman up.

Naval Aircrewman School Graduate

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm going to see about getting into MMA or Boxing
    I think it will be great fun,
    if I am ever famous I will remember you guys tho

bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Kane Fan
    I'm going to see about getting into MMA or Boxing
    I think it will be great fun,
    if I am ever famous I will remember you guys tho
    i will to brother.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

I've been reading some MMA forums and I've been thinking pretty strongly about Brazilian Jui Jitzu or even Judo. I think I'm going to start going to a Mau Thai school (I've actually decided to call all around the city) for a while, then in about 3 months I'll join either a BJJ school or a Judo school. I like the explosive takedowns of Judo but I like the grappling of BJJ. I'm probably going to download some videos of both and watch both styles in action. It seems like every MMA fighter on the planet uses BJJ so a mix of Mau Thai and Judo could be pretty sweet.

I havent taken martial arts since I was like 11. What should I expect for my first few Mau Thai lessons? When would I get into sparring with others? I imagine my first few lessons I'd be practicing strikes into open-air, and learning techniques before they put me up against anyone to spar. I want to know what to expect so I can ask the right questions when I call around. Its very important to me that I find the right instructor(s).

hammerfist has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hammerfist has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hammerfist has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hammerfist has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ha just go to Croatia and train with Crocop or to Holland and train with Hearing. Or to Brazil and train with the Chute Boxe team! We good luck on ur training.

pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would start powerlifting and oly lifting 2-3 days per week. I made the mistake of bb'ing while getting into mma and it was very bad. most guys powerlift, bodyweight exercizes, stuff like that.

I would say more but I'm in a huge hurry. Not many of the mma guys post here often I don't think anymore. most are at sherdog, mma.tv, or mmaathletes.

Registered User irish evolution's Avatar
    irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish evolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup, Sherdog has quite a few of them that post up there. I currently train in Hapkido and MMA and love both. I don't know how the Judo schools run where you're at but most here have early morning classes so makes it nice if you want to do Judo in the AM and BJJ in the PM.

Mike_d, each Thai boxing school is a bit different. I've seen some that throw at the wolves from day one and that's how you learn and others I've seen where you do a few weeks of skill training before getting in the ring. Call around, find out what's around you, and spend some time at each school to see which one you like best.

I'd agree on the training-wood choppers, high pulls, cleans, 1 arm db snatches, squats, deads, burpees, shoulder press squat, chins, etc

AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AustinG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    id say learn muay thai+wrestling and youll do good

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bluemarlin04
    i will to brother.
    good if you are ever famous you can introduce me to Lita : o )

TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Considering MMA, never actually formally competed. Shorin Ryu karate and Small Circle Jujitsu are my main styles, plus whatever I like that I pick up from other styles. Recently started experimenting with various Sambo leg locks, freaking love them.

Originally Posted by TDW586
    Considering MMA, never actually formally competed. Shorin Ryu karate and Small Circle Jujitsu are my main styles, plus whatever I like that I pick up from other styles. Recently started experimenting with various Sambo leg locks, freaking love them.
    sambo locks are cool but leg locks are too dangerous to spar with imo, especially heel hooks and knee bars

TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sambo locks are cool but leg locks are too dangerous to spar with imo, especially heel hooks and knee bars
    But they are nice to know. In grappling you really can't set up many techniques, you just have to go with what presents itself.

toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    But they are nice to know. In grappling you really can't set up many techniques, you just have to go with what presents itself.
    My bro is really into Jiu Jitsu. He trained under Dean Lister for awhile, but he is in the Navy so he could only do it for like 3 months there. He says its like going with the flow, you just have to catch the opponent when they mess up.

Originally Posted by toughnuts
    My bro is really into Jiu Jitsu. He trained under Dean Lister for awhile, but he is in the Navy so he could only do it for like 3 months there. He says its like going with the flow, you just have to catch the opponent when they mess up.

Pretty much, yeah.

Whether a throw or a lock, a good jujitsu fighter or judokai doesn't set it up, he simply allows his opponent to set it up.

O/T slightly, this is why I have a bit of an issue with BJJ as a sport art. Most BJJ seems to me to have removed the finesse of judo or jujitsu and replaced with with brute force.

Pretty much, yeah.

Whether a throw or a lock, a good jujitsu fighter or judokai doesn't set it up, he simply allows his opponent to set it up.

O/T slightly, this is why I have a bit of an issue with BJJ as a sport art. Most BJJ seems to me to have removed the finesse of judo or jujitsu and replaced with with brute force.
    i dont see anything wrong with brute force....its part of sports

i dont see anything wrong with brute force....its part of sports

But it isn't the best way. They're sacraficing technique, which is hard to learn, in favor of quickly-learned brute force.

Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you are going to take a wrestling class, make sure its a submission wrestling class or you will be lacking in that area. Regular Wrestling will teach you to put people on there backs where as Jujitsu will teach you to hurt or even kill people if needed. That is the big difference. Muay Tai is a great choice to learn striking techniques though.
    Last edited by Jujitsu; 03-21-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Originally Posted by Jujitsu
    If you are going to take a wrestling class, make sure its a submission wrestling class or you will be lacking in that area. Regular Wrestling will teach you to put people on there backs where as Jujitsu will teach you to hurt or even kill people if needed. That is the big difference.
    I'm making some calls this week, I want to join a Mauy Thai school, then in a few months either a BJJ or Judo school. I want to find schools that emphasize sparring - and lots of it. I'll probably end up taking Muay Thai and BJJ.

But it isn't the best way. They're sacraficing technique, which is hard to learn, in favor of quickly-learned brute force.
    oh know i totally understand man....when i started i was about brute force but now i am more about technique...what i was trying to say was that to be a good grappler there is also a very competitive phsyical aspect side.

oh know i totally understand man....when i started i was about brute force but now i am more about technique...what i was trying to say was that to be a good grappler there is also a very competitive phsyical aspect side.

I agree, I just think that BJJ sacrafices proper technique for dirty tricks and brute force, which simplifies low-level training but cripples the art, removing it's full potential.

Registered User TheCrazyCossack's Avatar
    TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heh there are alot of funny things in this post, first of all saying Wrestling isnt good and that he should take BJJ instead, granted he should learn the submissions but to say Wrestling isnt good... ever heard of a wrestler named Randy Couture?... The 3 time Light-HeavyWeight Champion Randy Couture, at least one time HeavyWeight Champion Randy Couture... Wrestling is his style... the fact is youll find alot of crappy BJJ schools out just looking to make money.

I would stick to learning one thing at a time, Striking or Grappling and try not to have too many arts, you dont want to confuse yourself with a lot of different techniques. The plus side is they are very different so you will be able to train them in a shorter amount of time, the thing is, weightlifting, BJJ/Wrestling, and Muay Thai... good luck standing up after that... quality Martial Arts classes are intense workouts, especially cardiovascularly..

I encourage you to try it, I love MMA... and am an aspiring MMA fighter, although I dont know if I'll ever try to be pro.

Originally Posted by TheCrazyCossack
    Heh there are alot of funny things in this post, first of all saying Wrestling isnt good and that he should take BJJ instead, granted he should learn the submissions but to say Wrestling isnt good... ever heard of a wrestler named Randy Couture?... The 3 time Light-HeavyWeight Champion Randy Couture, at least one time HeavyWeight Champion Randy Couture... Wrestling is his style... the fact is youll find alot of crappy BJJ schools out just looking to make money.

I would stick to learning one thing at a time, Striking or Grappling and try not to have too many arts, you dont want to confuse yourself with a lot of different techniques. The plus side is they are very different so you will be able to train them in a shorter amount of time, the thing is, weightlifting, BJJ/Wrestling, and Muay Thai... good luck standing up after that... quality Martial Arts classes are intense workouts, especially cardiovascularly..

I encourage you to try it, I love MMA... and am an aspiring MMA fighter, although I dont know if I'll ever try to be pro.

I was gonna post on the guy(s) who were burning wrestling. Obviously BJJ has its strenghts but saying not to learn wrestling and only learn BJJ is a little retarded. Good point on Couture, he owns. I was watching his fight with Chuck Lidell today actually, he has some EXPLOSIVE takedowns in that fight.

I'm not too worried about not being able to stand up, I'm only starting with Mauy Thai and dropping my weightlifting to 2-3 times a week. Probably only 2 times.

I'm thinking my routine will look like this before I start adding in another discipline (either BJJ, wrestling or judo), at least for the first couple weeks/months:

Mon. - HIT Cardio (treadmill, roadwork, cycling, etc...) early in the day, Mauy Thai sparring at night
    Tues. - Weight Lifting (bench press, deadlifts, bodyweight excercises), dynamic stretching
    Wed. - Early AM distance jogging, Mauy Thai class at night, static stretching before bed
    Thur. - Weight lifting (squats, overhead squats, clean & press, etc... bodyweight excercises) in the AM, HIT cardio at night
    Fri. - Bag work, dynamic stretching, sparring
    Sat. - Rest, work, homework
    Sun. - Rest, work, Light medium-distance cycle/jog, homework, TV

I know, you think I'm nuts, but I kind of am

I plan on losing alot of weight on this. I already started breaking out of my "body building" lifting schedule into my new athletic workout schedule today. I just need some money for Mauy Thai gear and first month's membership fees. I've been doing everything but the Mauy Thai since last week and believe me, I still got gas left in the tank. I dont buy in to the overtraining philosophy nearly as much as some people do.

Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100) Jujitsu is not very well liked. (-100)
    I never said that wrestling wasn't good. I said that if you are going to take wrestling, make sure it is some form of submission wrestling. When I first started taking jujitsu I joined with a buddy of mine that was a all-state heavyweight wrestler in highschool. Our first day of class he sparred against a blue belt in my class that weighed under 150 lbs. My buddy tapped out to someone that was 120 lbs lighter than him 3 times in a row, not because he didn't know how to wrestle but because he had never seen an arm bar, or a triangle, and didn't know how to defend against it. If you think that wrestling was the only thing that couture trained in b4 fighting in MMA matches than you r a retard. Simple moves like a rear naked choke are illegal in wrestling, and even if a wrestler attempted it, they would not know how to apply full leverage.
    Last edited by Jujitsu; 03-21-2005 at 03:01 PM.

you guys ever think that randy couture is a greco roman wrestler? thats all takedowns, no groundwork.

randy is a ground and pound kind of guy...thats why he is sooo good...he will take you down and pin your ass against the cage and rain bombs.

jujitsu is right, submission wrestling is extrememly important...randy is good now, but remember he did get submitted by enson inouye, a jiu jitsu fighter...that was a long time ago thoug.

Pretty much, yeah.

I am good at brute force
    I agree tho with standup (striking) you can go with what presents itself OR you can do set ups
    with grappling you are stuck waiting for the other person to make a mistake
    probubly why I prefer standup, got to work on my patience and that alone would probubly improve my groundgame

you guys ever think that randy couture is a greco roman wrestler? thats all takedowns, no groundwork.

randy is a ground and pound kind of guy...thats why he is sooo good...he will take you down and pin your ass against the cage and rain bombs.

jujitsu is right, submission wrestling is extrememly important...randy is good now, but remember he did get submitted by enson inouye, a jiu jitsu fighter...that was a long time ago thoug.
    I like ground and pound but I also dislike it
    if I am ever a MMAer tho I will probubly use it a lot

for everyone saying you cant setup in BJJ or grappling is wrong. In fact its all about setups. The higher level players can setup subs by doing moves and what not. Its not going with the flow, its creating the things you want ur opponent to do. A bad grappler will wait for whats given, a good one will make something happen.