Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Insulin is my roid NovaScotiaMuscl's Avatar
    NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A Thread for people with Type I Diabetes (Insulin-dependent) Only

I've been wanting to start a thread on Type I diabetes (insulin-dependent) and bodybuilding.

I'm a bodybuilder myself and have Type I diabetes. There are often problems and adjustments that we need to make in bodybuilding to taking our diabetes into account.

I'd like other bodybuilders with Type I diabetes to post questions and answers and opinions on this tread. So, maybe, here, diabetic bodybuilders can talk about their insulins, bulking, using supplements, their workouts, even steroid use, cardio, diets, contest preps, all in a diabetes context.

While I can't regulate it, I'd ask that only people with diabetes post questions and answers here for a variety of reasons. If you don't have diabetes, you probably don't know anything about it (unless you are an MD) and the risk of giving bad/stupid/dangerous advice is huge. Furthermore, asking what a friend/relative with diabetes should do is also a dangerous thing to do - due to the high risk of giving and using bad advice. Please don't email me any questions since that excludes other people from the conversation - just post your questions on the forum for everyone to read and learn from. Also, this shouldn't become a place for advice on using insulin as a growth hormone for non-diabetics. Lastly, please check your FACTS before posting some ridiculous answer in this forum.

So, anyone (with Diabetes), please post a question/suggestion for all to read and learn from.
    Last edited by NovaScotiaMuscl; 05-18-2005 at 07:25 PM.

NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NovaScotiaMuscl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone here with diabetes ever used any creatine? How do you take it and has it worked for you?

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I've taken it before. It was Muscle Link's Creasol, and it seemed to work marginally, bit of a strength increase, though not much size. I basically took one serving before working out, another after. I don't take creatine anymore because I think it's not really worth the money, after 2 years of exercise physiology classes.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You ever heard anything about insulin manipulation precontest? I've done web searches and came up with nothing. I've heard stories though about guys going off their insulin and letting ketosis kick in to get a little extra ripped. Not sure if I'd ever try it, but I'm interested in learning more.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

Originally Posted by mightymouse37
    You ever heard anything about insulin manipulation precontest? I've done web searches and came up with nothing. I've heard stories though about guys going off their insulin and letting ketosis kick in to get a little extra ripped. Not sure if I'd ever try it, but I'm interested in learning more.
    yah, I've heard of stull like that - but I don't really know anything about it - plus I'd think that it would be really dangerous.

So do you also have diabetes? - and if so - did you try to take your creatine with your insulin so that the creatine would be in your blood stream when your insulin is peaking? I've put on about 30 lbs of muscle doing that.

Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slated has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    did you get it from insulin use? while I was a competitor, it was tempting to use insulin, but I'm SOOO glad I refrained

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Type-1 diabtetic here for 16 years.

I take creatine and it doesnt affect my insulin/blood sugars at all.

Question: How do you guys go about PWO nutrition? That is, do you use high-GI carbs and just compensate with the appropriate amount of insulin?
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    links to myself talking about diabetes and bb'ing

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hlight=insulin

edit: it's only one link but if you do a search for my name and "insulin" or "diabetic/diabates" you will definatly find stuff.

i thought it was interesting that when i was searching for some links i found mysefl answering most of shane85's questions but on here he is known as the "go to guy" on diabteses. hmmm.
    Reps For Life:
    Richie209
    Onita
    BenchPressKing1
    injustcuz

VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Subscribing. Always interested in diabetes and bodybuilding.

Originally Posted by Slated
    did you get it from insulin use? while I was a competitor, it was tempting to use insulin, but I'm SOOO glad I refrained
    Slated - I've never heard of this happening - and as an actual scientist (PhD...) its difficult to imagine how it could happen - ie abusing insulin causing Type 1 diabetes - I can see it maybe causing Type 2 - but its still a stretch. Not saying that it CAN'T - just that I've never heard of this. Type 1 diabetes is nearly aways autoimmune.

HOWEVER, for a bb to abuse insulin is very dangerous from the perspective of low blood sugars

Originally Posted by RipStone

so do you take your creatine with insulin - ie so that you have high levels of circulating insulin when you take the creatine? and have you gotten good results from the creatine?

Question: How do you guys go about PWO nutrition? That is, do you use high-GI carbs and just compensate with the appropriate amount of insulin?
    what is PWO nutrition?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NovaScotiaMuscl
    so do you take your creatine with insulin - ie so that you have high levels of circulating insulin when you take the creatine? and have you gotten good results from the creatine?

what is PWO nutrition?
    I take my creatine in my post-workout shake(PWO). Since my PWO shake has a lot of carbs I need to take insulin in order to cover those carbs. However, on my off days, I take my creatine in water first thing in the morning with breakfast.
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

I take my creatine in my post-workout shake(PWO). Since my PWO shake has a lot of carbs I need to take insulin in order to cover those carbs. However, on my off days, I take my creatine in water first thing in the morning with breakfast.
    Yah, bro - I'm in a complicated situation b/c I have a swim practice with my team first (1 hr) and then I workout my legs - not ideal, I know - and this has been difficult, if not impossible from a bg perspective - but I think that I may have finally gotten it to work thanks to lantus. Once home, my "pwo" is mainly my bedtime snack.

But yah, taking creatine with my PWO sould work for me - I'll have to try that out. I usually just tame my creatine with water in the morning with breafast like you do.

The former sixabs spartanstrength's Avatar
    spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright Ill take out a bunch of these ?'s:
    You can get type I diabetes from injecting when your not diabtic bc your own body stops producing as much and/or becomes desenstized to its own insulin.

Injecting post workout can help with gains if your a diabetic due to shuttling of nutrients, creatine, etc. It can be dangerous so start off low and work your way up.

DO NOT EVER let your body go into ketosis before comp. what the hell kind of stupid idea is that. Your not only hurting your body everywhere, but your also burning MUSCLE and fat. IMO not worth it.

BTW ive been diabetic since i was in 2nd grade and since starting bbing Ive gone from 140 to 205 all while keeping the abs.
    Formerly Sixabs with 700+ posts, of the bbing.com forums but never got an email with my requested password, so thank you administrators.

Originally Posted by spartanstrength
    BTW ive been diabetic since i was in 2nd grade and since starting bbing Ive gone from 140 to 205 all while keeping the abs.

Are you a type-1 diabetic? I have been a type-1 diabetic since I was 2.5 years old. I am now 18 y/o and am proud to say that thanks to the healthy lifestyle I adhere to becaise of BBing, my a1c is 5.0!
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magicmalik19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Whats up guys... just go an email telling me about this thread. Im a type 1 diabetic. Got diagnosed in 7th grade.. im now going into my 3rd year of college at rutgers university (studying pharmacy.. 6 year program and i get my doctrine). Anyway, im glad to see a thread on body building and diabetes.. i kinda gotta run but i'll be posting soon. I got some progress pics posted on www.geocities.com/magicmalik19/new4.html

Originally Posted by magicmalik19
    Whats up guys... just go an email telling me about this thread. Im a type 1 diabetic. Got diagnosed in 7th grade.. im now going into my 3rd year of college at rutgers university (studying pharmacy.. 6 year program and i get my doctrine). Anyway, im glad to see a thread on body building and diabetes.. i kinda gotta run but i'll be posting soon. I got some progress pics posted on www.geocities.com/magicmalik19/new4.html
    Lookin great in the pics bro. Glad to have another person to talk to about the subject!
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanstrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you a type-1 diabetic? I have been a type-1 diabetic since I was 2.5 years old. I am now 18 y/o and am proud to say that thanks to the healthy lifestyle I adhere to becaise of BBing, my a1c is 5.0!
    Yup type 1
    Formerly Sixabs with 700+ posts, of the bbing.com forums but never got an email with my requested password, so thank you administrators.

A1c of 5 - **** bro - wow. Amazing. I'm currently bringing mine down and I'd be thrilled with an A1c of 7... I'd better reasses my goals...

Originally Posted by magicmalik19
    Excellent bro - great...

Checked out your picts - looking good and buff bro. Keep up the good work

my current pics I posted today...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=489527
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

Kustomized Kreations CC KustomizedVenge's Avatar
    KustomizedVenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey everyone........dont know if all of you are still active in this thread, but I am a type 1 diabetic........have been for almost 7 years now.........i am just getting started with bb, but hopefully with all the topics i have read, i should be ok! I am interested in seeing what your diets are like though..... I currently am on 70/30 insulin, 32 units in the morning and evening........

Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Excellent thread. I too have juvenile diabetes and have always been curious as to what other diabetics have done to bring success in the gym and with their nutrition.

I have always strived to keep myself physically fit, so when I was diagnosed with Type I, not much in my lifestyle changed other than having to take insulin and check my blood sugar.

I would have to say my main key to success with managing my diabetes is my active lifestyle; weights, running, surfing , skateboarding (my body ain't hip to this sometimes), etc. Many of the principals of good nutrition in bodybuilding carry right over to good nutrition with managing diabetes, within reason of course.

As far as creatine is concerned, I have had success with it and absolutely no problems with it having a negative affect on my blood sugar. I don't use it often at all these days, predominantly when I'm stuck in a plateau.

For the record, I take Humalog as needed when I eat and Lantus before bed. This regimen has really been a blessing for me as blood sugar lows have always been more of a problem for me rather than highs.

I'm going to sit back and see what else develops with this thread. Hopefully we can all take a little something from it.

Spat brings up an excellent point in that a good BB diet is very similar to a good diet for a diabetic. Ever since I go into BBing seriously(watching my diet) my a1c has never been better. Here are the foods that make up the majority of my diet...

carbs: ezkiel bread, rolled oats, barley, fruit, veggies, oat bran, dextrose(in my PWO shake), brown rice, yams

protein: egg beaters, cottage cheese, whey protein, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, tuna, salmon(also a healthy fat)

fats: natural pb, raw alomonds and walnuts, fish oil caps, natty almond butter, oilve oil
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

zio44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, thanks for starting this thread. I think it's great that we can all come here and talk about what works and what doesn't and swop ideas and advice.

I too am a Type 1 Diabetic. I've been diabetic since '93. Ever since, I've gotten more active and really enjoy working out and staying fit and healthy. I've been on an insulin pump for about 5 yrs. and for me, it works better than shots.

I really don't take any supplements (besides whey sometimes) b/c I'm not sure what effects it will have on my body and overall long term health. How do you guys fair with creatine? Does it work? Any side effects? How do you use it? What else do you use that seems to give you gains? I try to stick with foods that will provide me what I need...egg whites galore, chicken, tuna, whole wheat bread and pasta, sweet potatoes, fruit, veggies, oatmeal and the occasional cookie or ice cream. I weight about 160-165 LBS and am about 5'9". I would say that I'm at about 10-13% bf. I just have a hard time gaining or losing as I'm sure many of you have experienced.

Any tips that would help me keep my weight as is, but drop a few % points in bf? I work out about 4-5 /week. I do cardio everyday (20 mins) and then work different body parts each day.It's just that damn midsection that kills me! HA!

Thanks guys and let's keep this thread going!

Lata...

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't forget whole eggs
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Originally Posted by zio44
    First off, thanks for starting this thread. I think it's great that we can all come here and talk about what works and what doesn't and swop ideas and advice.

I too am a Type 1 Diabetic. I've been diabetic since '93. Ever since, I've gotten more active and really enjoy working out and staying fit and healthy. I've been on an insulin pump for about 5 yrs. and for me, it works better than shots.

I really don't take any supplements (besides whey sometimes) b/c I'm not sure what effects it will have on my body and overall long term health. How do you guys fair with creatine? Does it work? Any side effects? How do you use it? What else do you use that seems to give you gains? I try to stick with foods that will provide me what I need...egg whites galore, chicken, tuna, whole wheat bread and pasta, sweet potatoes, fruit, veggies, oatmeal and the occasional cookie or ice cream. I weight about 160-165 LBS and am about 5'9". I would say that I'm at about 10-13% bf. I just have a hard time gaining or losing as I'm sure many of you have experienced.

Any tips that would help me keep my weight as is, but drop a few % points in bf? I work out about 4-5 /week. I do cardio everyday (20 mins) and then work different body parts each day.It's just that damn midsection that kills me! HA!

Lata...
    Whey will not effect your blood sugar and you should be taking it after every workout to optimize gains.

Originally Posted by zio44

Lata...
    Creatine and whey have no effects on my blood-sugars. I mean whey is just powdered protein so it you dont even have to bolus for it.

Perhaps try different types of cardio. HIIT cardio(interval training) is a great way to lose fat but keep muscle. In my expiernce, doing 20-40mins of steady rate cardio burns muscle mass too fast.

BTW, I am also on a pump and love it...changed my lifestyle for the better!
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

Troll Bashing ain't easy! Flagg3's Avatar
    Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flagg3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

FYI, there is much debate on the subject, but it would seem that the evidence suggests that you DO NOT need to spike your insulin in your post workout shake, whether your diabetic or note.

So my advice, especially if your diabetic, is don't bother. There is no need to ever eat a high-GI meal, so just stick with oats and other low GI carbs in your post workout shake.

Good Luck!
    Flagg
    No ads here!

The opinions expressed above are my personal opinion.
    I have absolutely no affiliation with any supplement companies, and have never had any vested interest in any supplements of any kind.

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with this I am type 2 and have had great results with low GI postworkout. The only sugar I take in is natural from fruit mainly apples and berries and pear. No need for dextrose and malto

Originally Posted by Flagg3
    FYI, there is much debate on the subject, but it would seem that the evidence suggests that you DO NOT need to spike your insulin in your post workout shake, whether your diabetic or note.

So my advice, especially if your diabetic, is don't bother. There is no need to ever eat a high-GI meal, so just stick with oats and other low GI carbs in your post workout shake.

Good Luck!
    Flagg
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"