linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) linges316 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bench Press Grip width position??

I haven been doing Bench Press using shoulder wide grip for ages and dont think that my chest is growing although the poundage have been improving slowly.......

I have switched to wider than soulder width just like Ruhl does in Made In Germany but not that wide, maybe around 6 inches wider than the shoulder......

When I started doing this, I felt that the fiber muscles in my pectorals are better stimulated..more soreness the next day too......

I understand that the wider the grip, the more deltoids are involved as my dumbell presses that I do right after bench press have suffered a bit......

My question is, do anyone try this method and what are their results.....thanks you...

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    too wide and you're asking for shoulder injuries.
    <->

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re:

Here is the easiest way to find out your optimal bendch width grip for YOU....

Get down on the floor in push-up position, note the distance between your hands, that is the natural position that your body uses for pushing away. Ther eyou go....

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You could always try pre-exhausting your pecs; do a set of flyes or crossovers then go straight into benching. Since the pecs are already a bit fatigued from the first exercise, you'll be able to feel them working better during your bench.

Always be careful following a pro's advice. ALWAYS.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

Official Board Barbarian The Kurgan's Avatar
    The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like to get my hand parallel with my elbow, ie. the forearm in a straight line. But that's just preference.
    "... like a spring storm in an eastern wind, retiring only to return with more fury."

- James Hogg

strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongstart is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking Just me...

Since my bench is only 190, don't take my advice to seriously...but most of the people I know put their arms straight up, and then stretch their hands out, and move the far edge of their hand to where the pinky is. I however use a very very narrow grip, but like I said, I only bench 190. I think the "Put your hands in pushup position" advice was great
    "A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    depending on your goals, find the width where you feel the most comfortable, where you get the most muscular gains, or where you can bench the most weight.
    i bench ring finger on the rings for what its worth
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation

I like just beyond shoulder width when I bench.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your'e using a standard 7' 45 pound olympic bar there will be a rough part with a ring of smooth in it. This is where your pinky should go. Understand?

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dlc
    If your'e using a standard 7' 45 pound olympic bar there will be a rough part with a ring of smooth in it. This is where your pinky should go. Understand?

Its not that simple. People with longer arms use a wider grip and vise versa for shorter arms. You have to train with various grips to find which works best for you.

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends on arm length, shoulder width, and your goals. Shoulder width or an inch out of it is a great grip i think, but depending on where your arms have to be to stimulate the pecs the most should be your main concern if your looking to hit the pecs most effectivly. Or try pre exausting like someone already said. Use dumbells to target the chest the most. Work on your close grip bench press as well as incline if your using barbell.
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by linges316
    I haven been doing Bench Press using shoulder wide grip for ages and dont think that my chest is growing although the poundage have been improving slowly.......

I have switched to wider than soulder width just like Ruhl does in Made In Germany but not that wide, maybe around 6 inches wider than the shoulder......

When I started doing this, I felt that the fiber muscles in my pectorals are better stimulated..more soreness the next day too......

I understand that the wider the grip, the more deltoids are involved as my dumbell presses that I do right after bench press have suffered a bit......

My question is, do anyone try this method and what are their results.....thanks you...

shoulder width is what you should be using for close grip bench press......regular bench press should be wider.....use the rings on the bar to gauge your grip....this way it is the same every time.....for me, i put my third finger on the rings

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Or, if growth is what you're looking for, get off the flat bench for a while and do inclines.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    Here is the easiest way to find out your optimal bendch width grip for YOU....

Get down on the floor in push-up position, note the distance between your hands, that is the natural position that your body uses for pushing away. Ther eyou go....

^^^^

thats what i do

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    ^^^^

thats what i do
    Me too.

icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by Bushmaster
    Or, if growth is what you're looking for, get off the flat bench for a while and do inclines.

AMEN

I have just started this doing more incline work and flyes, and i can feel my chest coming on lovely.
    Starting Weight: 125lbs - dec 2004
    Weight Now: 190lbs - April 2009
    Future Goal: 200lbs
    Height: 5ft 8inches
    Training Time: 4years 5Months

Updated: April 09
    Pic is in my Profile!!
    65lbs gained - 4years 2Months

" Bodybuilding starts from the fridge! that doesnt mean deadlift it! " LOL