kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

help with nutrition/macros

Hey - so I'm new-ish to this whole deal. Never taken it seriously but I want to. I've lifted and eaten alright off an on since high school and I want to focus on it and get to work.

I've spent the past day or so reading, doing research, calculating, and planning.

Here's where I am, and here's what I want to reach as my first goal.

Currently:
    5' 8"
    197lbs
    20% BF

Goal:
    165lbs
    7% BF
    I considered cutting BF by 13/14% and adding muscle to get around the ~205lb range (more of the "bodybuilder" than the "lean ripped" look) but I'm not sure if that's the best option from where I am. Thoughts on that versus what I have listed above?

I've yet to break down exactly what I'm eating, but I've taken work to get my BMR, TEE, and get some macros numbers to look at.

BMR: 1913
    TEE: 2870
    I'm looking at my daily caloric goal to be 2,000 cal/day with the following macro breakdown.

Protein
    ~1.6g/lb
    250 grams/day
    1000 cal/day

Fats
    ~0.44g/lb
    70 grams/day
    630 cal/day

Carbs
    80 grams/day
    370 calories/day
    Right now, I've been doing the 5/6 meals every 2-3 hours every day for about a month or so, and it's not very convenient. I'm glad reading around here makes note that that's a little further down the list. I usually end up making a pretty large protein shake (24oz or so, 2 scoops of protein powder and water) and drink half before and half after the workout. Is that timing something I should keep up? I can see there seems to be some debate about what and when to consume post-workout.

Looking forward to hear from all of you!
    Last edited by kerrmace; 10-01-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: i typed the wrong height...

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i wouldnt do a 800 cal deficit. why are you eating so often?
    when you, or if you consume a protein shake does not matter in the context of your overall diet.
    why so low carbs?
    7% BF is achievable but VEEERY difficult. i dont think you know how lean that is.
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kerrmace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    i wouldnt do a 800 cal deficit. why are you eating so often?
    Honestly? I'm not sure. I'd love to eat a little less often, though. Is a 500 or 600 deficit more reasonable?

when you, or if you consume a protein shake does not matter in the context of your overall diet.
    why so low carbs?
    I could probably increase them a little bit, I have no issue with that.

7% BF is achievable but VEEERY difficult. i dont think you know how lean that is.
    You're right, I don't think I do. It's probably more likely I am able to go get to 11% or 12%.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kerrmace View Post
    Honestly? I'm not sure. I'd love to eat a little less often, though. Is a 500 or 600 deficit more reasonable?

You're right, I don't think I do. It's probably more likely I am able to go get to 11% or 12%.
    eat less often if you want to. i personally eat twice a day.
    you can lower protein and increase carbs if you please

just to give you some prospective i am around 14% BF right now
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

eat less often if you want to. i personally eat twice a day.
    you can lower protein and increase carbs if you please

just to give you some prospective i am around 14% BF right now
    Thanks for the perspective, man. I think 14% or 15% is a good goal to set for myself.

Changed my deficit to 500 cal/day, kept protein and fat the same but am now looking at 523 cal/day of carbs. Now it looks like this:

2,153 cal/day

Protein
    ~1.6g/lb
    250 grams/day
    1000 cal/day

Fats
    ~0.44g/lb
    70 grams/day
    630 cal/day

Carbs
    131 grams/day
    520 calories/day
    Also, looking at a goal weight of about 180 with 14% or 15% BF.

looks goo man, repped for doing your homework..there is hope yet lol
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

looks goo man, repped for doing your homework..there is hope yet lol
    Haha thanks man! I've always been a researching type of guy and with something this serious I knew I had to do my work. I appreciate the help!

Haha thanks man! I've always been a researching type of guy and with something this serious I knew I had to do my work. I appreciate the help!
    stick around the forums. seems like you could be one of the few quality posters around here eventually lol
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmoff77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the perspective, man. I think 14% or 15% is a good goal to set for myself.

Changed my deficit to 500 cal/day, kept protein and fat the same but am now looking at 523 cal/day of carbs. Now it looks like this:

Also, looking at a goal weight of about 180 with 14% or 15% BF.
    I'm about the same size as you are, and only started my new diet plan about 7-10 days ago. Personally I found it difficult to eat this much protein without overeating, so I lowered it..for now. Right now I aim for 70g fat and 158g protein (0.8/lb) while staying under 2100 calories for the day. As I get more comfortable eating this way I plan to raise my protein levels. Good luck with your plan.
    My one year weight loss thread with pics- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161271323

April 1 2013- 215 (heaviest ever)
    Oct 1- 195 (started tracking macros/cals. More lifting weights/less cardio)
    May 6 2014- 159.2

Striveforit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Alright, he is right you should be eating more carbs ill give him that. BUT you need to eat more than 2 times a day... i eat 6 times a day and 7-8 on the weekends. Eating only 2 times a day will slow your metabolism down and you will hardly see any results... That will take you backwards from your actual goal, and 8-10 % is more attainable. Its actually pretty easy to maintain also, oh and i also forgot i will say he is right about your deficit. Dont cut to many calories to fast, a good rate of fat loss is 1-2lbs a week, that means you are losing fat.

Registered User kinesthetic1234's Avatar
    kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kinesthetic1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2ND That

sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000) sa7soon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Striveforit View Post
    Alright, he is right you should be eating more carbs ill give him that. BUT you need to eat more than 2 times a day... i eat 6 times a day and 7-8 on the weekends. Eating only 2 times a day will slow your metabolism down and you will hardly see any results...
    Really?! There are still people that believe this?

Meal frequency has absolutely nothing to do with changing your body composition. At the end of the day it's calories in vs. out, if you're in a deficit you will lose weight. If you hit your macros the loss of lean body mass will be minimal. Please don't listen to him OP, and good luck.

@Striveforit, read this sticky on Meal frequency... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119024341
    And if you would like some anecdotal results, i've lost 65 lbs thus far eating 2-3 meals a day...

EDIT: OP you could also make do with much less protein if need be, ≥ 0.8 g/lb of BW. I find it difficult to stuff my face with 225 grams of protein a day. In the case you do as well, know that you can lower it with no adverse effects to loss of lean body mass. And again good luck!

Protein requirement source: http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-...-bodybuilders/
    Last edited by sa7soon; 11-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    **Former 300 lb+ crew**
    **Forever cutting crew**

Start weight: 325 lbs
    Current weight: 219 lbs

Forever Cutting Coming to a Close: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165710491&p=1325547941#post1325547941