scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Box Squats, Partial Deadlifts....

...were new exercises introduced to me tonight by a guy I've been training with the past few times at the gym. My back and legs have been neglected for far too long and its time to whip em' into better shape. I've felt like a total schmuch the past couple years knowing my bench press was at more times than not stronger than my full squat. How pathetic is that!

Lift: Sets x Reps
    Box Squats: 8 x 2 using 185lbs
    Part Deads: 6 x 8 w/last 2 sets being 315lbs

Both felt pretty darn good, but with box squats the bar was literally jumping off my traps at the top of the press. The next time I think we'll go a little higher on the weights while continuing to learn and improve form. The goal for partial deads is to be doing working sets of 405lbs within the month.

This was only maybe the 4th time in my life I've done any form of deadift so I was pleased to be able to do the 315 with good (not perfect by any stretch) form. The 3rd was earlier this week doing Sumo Deadlifts, those were pretty cool too.

I'm sure these are old school to tons of people here, but I was happy to learn something knew and look forward to doing as much and as well as I can. Its great running into someone who can show you how to do a new exercise properly and create and effective routine around it instead of just trying something new.

Last edited by scorp508; 09-28-2007 at 09:36 PM.

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
    Lift: Sets x Reps
    Box Squats: 8 x 2 using 185lbs
    Part Deads: 6 x 8 w/last 2 sets being 315lbs

Both felt pretty darn good, but with box squats the bar was literally jumping off my traps at the top of the press. The next time I think we'll go a little higher on the weights while continuing to learn and improve form.
    You shouldn't really be losing control of the bar when you box squat. If you think of box squatting as more of a backwards/forwards motion than an up and down motion, you'll keep the bar on your back and be able to sit back farther. What I mean by that is that you should think of starting the squat by moving the hips back as far as possible until you reach the box and then snapping them forward to come back up, instead of starting by moving the knees down and then coming straight back up. When you do this, the bar moves a shorter distance so it doesn't pick up as much momentum and it's easier to pull the bar into your back. This will torch your hamstrings and glutes and will really help make you stronger.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post
    You shouldn't really be losing control of the bar when you box squat. If you think of box squatting as more of a backwards/forwards motion than an up and down motion, you'll keep the bar on your back and be able to sit back farther. What I mean by that is that you should think of starting the squat by moving the hips back as far as possible until you reach the box and then snapping them forward to come back up, instead of starting by moving the knees down and then coming straight back up. When you do this, the bar moves a shorter distance so it doesn't pick up as much momentum and it's easier to pull the bar into your back. This will torch your hamstrings and glutes and will really help make you stronger.

If I understand you correctly then I'm putting too much empshesis on the vertical press aspect and not enough on hip flexor movement itself? If so I think I get what you're saying. Like anything though, is it safe to assume there are numerous ways to train using the same exercise in order to hit different areas needing work?
    Last edited by scorp508; 09-29-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If I understand you correctly then I'm putting too much empshesis on the vertical press aspect and not enough on hip flexor movement itself? If so I think I get what you're saying. Like anything though, is it safe to assume there are numerous ways to train using the same exercise in order to his different areas needing work?
    Right, and you could also be throwing the bar if you're pushing up on it instead of pulling down. Of course you can do them any way you like, but if you're using them as they were originally intended then this is the way to go.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Thanks, rep'd.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    with box squats the bar was literally jumping off my traps at the top of the press.
    ...that happens to me too.

Must spread rep
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---