Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    skinpuppet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink power walking vs running

Hi everyone. I been power walking the last 2 months, the reason why is, the impact on my knees gets me hurtin the next day. I aslo found that if i power walk, that i can go further and burn more calories. I normaly do a 20min walk, on a 11 gradient at a 7 speed on the treadmill. I also do litle burst runs in between, like for two minutes. It burns calories like crazy!! But A mate in the gym said its better to run, cause it elevates ur heart rate more? So what is the verdict on this one? Thx. Skin
    I feel no pain..pain is only an elusion of the mind..PAIN IS MY FRIEND

cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If running hurts your knees, i'd avoid it...Other options are biking and even better would be swimming.
    Team HALEO
    ‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Joey - 10/16/2011

ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your mate is right, there has been the myth that walking burns the exact same amount of calories as running but infact running burns more calories because it elevates the heart rate and the more intense the training the more calories you burn.

So running will infact burn more calories but for some reason you can't run stick with power walking.
    "Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ridley89 View Post
    Your mate is right, there has been the myth that walking burns the exact same amount of calories as running but infact running burns more calories because it elevates the heart rate and the more intense the training the more calories you burn.

So running will infact burn more calories but for some reason you can't run stick with power walking.
    Actually, they can both burn the same amount of calories, or one can burn more than the other. It depends upon the speed and the distance. Tat's it.

If you run 100ft it won't burn as many calories as walking a mile.

marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would prefer sprinting over walking.
    It depends on your fitness level. If you can run, run alittle and walk alittle. Intervals will do wonders and elevated HR and burning fat.
    But if you are walking at a speed of 7 I am thinking this is KPH not MPH.
    Brothers of Metal Crew

Steelers

Strip Mining prevents Forest Fires
    UMWA

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Actually, they can both burn the same amount of calories, or one can burn more than the other. It depends upon the speed and the distance. Tat's it.

wow way to pick apart something completely useless and add nothing to it.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KaBone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Technically, if you always have at least one foot on the ground while moving, that is walking. If you are running, there will be moments when both feet are off the ground. Can you run slower than you can walk? technically yes. The person that made the comment to you about heart rate was referring to speed. Speed walking is just fine to save your joints. I saw a sprint comment in a reply. Although I have no back-up sources, to me sprinting is easier on the joints than running.

AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AgreeWitMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its true, running burns more calories than walking

Dont step in the bullshit TaurusHorizon's Avatar
    TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaurusHorizon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would ask myself am I cutting or bulking? Then make my decision on run vs. walk based on my own answer. If I am bulking I am gonna walk. If I am cutting I will run but on a soft surface or in the grass to slightly reduce the impact on my joints.
    ★★★★★ 5 STAR THREAD, WOULD READ AGAIN!

9 Times out of 10, I rep back!

Owe reps to:

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skinpuppet View Post
    Hi everyone. I been power walking the last 2 months, the reason why is, the impact on my knees gets me hurtin the next day. I aslo found that if i power walk, that i can go further and burn more calories. I normaly do a 20min walk, on a 11 gradient at a 7 speed on the treadmill. I also do litle burst runs in between, like for two minutes. It burns calories like crazy!! But A mate in the gym said its better to run, cause it elevates ur heart rate more? So what is the verdict on this one? Thx. Skin
    your mate is clueless... heart rate isn't so much dependent on the form of cardio its dependent on the intensity level, tell him to put the incline on full and a speed of 6-7k and see if his heart rate doesnt rise
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post

I was referring to running the same distance that you walk would burn more calories then walking.

The fact is the more intense the training the more calories you would burn and running is more intense then walking.

Say you walk up a hill, if you ran up that same hill it would be much more intense then walking therefore the loss of more calories and a much higher heart rate then walking up that hill.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was referring to running the same distance that you walk would burn more calories then walking.

The fact is the more intense the training the more calories you would burn and running is more intense then walking.

Say you walk up a hill, if you ran up that same hill it would be much more intense then walking therefore the loss of more calories and a much higher heart rate then walking up that hill.
    who said the distance is a flat line? you're comparing apples to oranges.. OBVIOUSLY on a flat surface, slow walking isn't as effective as faster running.
    incline walking can easily burn more calories and be more intense than average speed of flat running..
    and at the end of the day, running is **** on your knees.

xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If running hurts your knees, there are several alternatives that are much easier on the joints. The elliptical machine will give you nearly the same motion as running without the impact. Biking and swimming are other great cardio activities that are non-impact.

Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    who said the distance is a flat line? you're comparing apples to oranges.. OBVIOUSLY on a flat surface, slow walking isn't as effective as faster running.
    incline walking can easily burn more calories and be more intense than average speed of flat running..
    and at the end of the day, running is **** on your knees.
    Your comparing incline walking to flat running if you compared them both as flat walking against flat running, running would burn more calories, if you compared incline walking to incline running the running would still burn more calories.

Its a fact running burns more calories then walking.

Your comparing incline walking to flat running if you compared them both as flat walking against flat running, running would burn more calories, if you compared incline walking to incline running the running would still burn more calories.

Its a fact running burns more calories then walking.
    you're generalising again! power walk up a hill and run flat... the hill walk will destroy flat running, which is just moving with momentum..
    you cant just say it like its an absolute.

Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    you're generalising again! power walk up a hill and run flat... the hill walk will destroy flat running, which is just moving with momentum..
    you cant just say it like its an absolute.
    I'm comparing it evenly not comparing it to incline walking to flat running theres no point in that because incline walking will beat flat running. I'm saying if he ran on the exact same incline as hes walking on he would infact burn more calories.

thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatolchestnut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im just curious, how many people here have actually done a little power walking?

PWing is great form of cardio and burning calories if your doing it at the right intensity. Its a lot less impact intense than running is and gets your heart rate up to an equal rate. While you can burn more calories running, its unlikely (for most people at least) that you can sustain an intensive run for very long periods of time, not to mention as you get older your knees will get worse and worse.

At the end of the day, PWing accomplishes the OP's goals. Running is not the end all be all of cardio.

If you havent power walked try it, works my calves pretty good, and it mixxes things up
    Last edited by thatolchestnut; 09-27-2007 at 11:25 PM.

xstillfly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are all silly, wow!

Intervals will always be the best

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

LOL @ all these people who say to go powerwalking. where are you guys? i never see you anywhere....WOOHOO powerwalking is the new best form of cardio on BB.com!

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by skinpuppet View Post
    Power walking will burn more calories. It is more efficient mechanically for your body to break into a run at a certain speed. When you resist running and just continue to walk, it is less efficient. Therefore, your body actually works harder by walking. You will therefore burn more calories walking.
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

Originally Posted by drjoe View Post
    Power walking will burn more calories. It is more efficient mechanically for your body to break into a run at a certain speed. When you resist running and just continue to walk, it is less efficient. Therefore, your body actually works harder by walking. You will therefore burn more calories walking.
    or just run faster.

what seminar did i miss where all of the sudden power walking is the new hot ****? maybe we should all walk on our hands, since its more mechanically challenging.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    or just run faster.

what seminar did i miss where all of the sudden power walking is the new hot ****? maybe we should all walk on our hands, since its more mechanically challenging.
    I'm not sure if you're being serious bro?

Incline walking has been the cardio of choice for top level naturals and geared competitors for many a moon now.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    LOL @ all these people who say to go powerwalking. where are you guys? i never see you anywhere....WOOHOO powerwalking is the new best form of cardio on BB.com!

I powerwalk sometimes when i'm to lazy to run lol

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    or just run faster.

lol you missed the memo

regardless of which one burns HOW MANY calories. WHich one makes you more prone to muscle loss? Bulking or cutting
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    I'm not sure if you're being serious bro?

Incline walking has been the cardio of choice for top level naturals and geared competitors for many a moon now.
    WTF are you referring to im talking about burning calories not what pros want to do precontest. running burns more calories than power walking. ok then.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

WTF are you referring to im talking about burning calories not what pros want to do precontest. running burns more calories than power walking. ok then.

Smoking meth burns probably burns more calories than power walking, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start doing meth again.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    Smoking meth burns probably burns more calories than power walking, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start doing meth again.
    now i understand who im talking to. waste of time.

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    or just run faster.

Didn't say I think power walking is the cardio of the future. In fact, I never power walk. I was just giving my input based in my training as an exercise physiologist. What I noted is accurate. Your forum signature, by the way, is right on the money. LOL. Peace.
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by drjoe View Post
    Didn't say I think power walking is the cardio of the future. In fact, I never power walk. I was just giving my input based in my training as an exercise physiologist. What I noted is accurate. Your forum signature, by the way, is right on the money. LOL. Peace.
    you said power walking burns more calories than running. would you like me to quote it for you? im sorry but that truly is ignorant. do you not see the huge error in that statement?

Unhappy

you said power walking burns more calories than running. would you like me to quote it for you? im sorry but that truly is ignorant. do you not see the huge error in that statement?
    What's with you lately?