East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

pulled my hamstring playing intramural football (reps for serious info)

so i pulled my hamstring playing intramural football today and i'm pissed. So far i have ice on it, pressure and i took one exedrin. I'm trying not to take too many anti-inflammitories.

how long will this last and will it prevent me from lifting legs in 7 days?? i just lifted legs today. ...what tips of stretching and icing should i take for the fastest recovery??
    "it's alright man, you can laugh. I laughed when you walked in" - Jay Cutler
    ««•Power stance, BOOM•»»
    **Husker Football Nation**

AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How badly is this hamstring injury?? Just a little twinge or serious pain and hard to walk?

A simple twinge is a 7 day event at most, down to something a bit more serious which takes 2-3 weeks.

A short course of mild anti-inflammatoires is helpful and should not be a medical issue.

Ice is good for the first 48 hours, then use heat and start more stretching. Hold stretches for 30-45 secs, do 2 stretches twice daily.

buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ice your leg for about 10-15 mins at a time, if you leave the ice on for any longer you will get the opposite effect of what you want atm. id go see a physio if it's serious.

J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.W. will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

if its your average pull, yeah it'll take bout a week. I used to get them all the time. Stiff legged deadlifts are a must!!! They helped me tremedously with recovery and prevention. Don't use alot of weight and focus on the stretch. you'll be fine.
    6'1
    240lbs(03/07/08)
    BF%: ?
    LIFTS(ALL RAW)-Current Goal: 500 raw flat bench
    Bench: 315x15 (08/30/07) got it on video.
    Dead: 585x1(04/25/08)
    Squat: 405@232lbs ATG (03/28/06)
    Misc: 435x1 floor press on last set with 4 second pause at the bottom.(12/03/07), 475lb decline bench press(02/25/08), 425 close grip bench press(03/17/08)

SUPPLEMENTS:
    MRPS, CREATINE, BETA-ALANINE, FISH OIL

***WESTSIDE TRAINING FOR LIFE***

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stay off of it, it's very easy to go from a grade 1 strain (1-3 weeks healing time) to a grade 2 strain (4-8 weeks healing time).
    Hamstring injuries usually heal on their own but without proper care, they may not heal properly.

A pulled hamstring isn't really a pull at all. It's actually a strain resulting in varying degrees of muscle fiber disruption. In Grade I injuries only microscopic tears of muscle fibers occur, this is probably where you're at. Disability and limitations in sports activities is normally limited for one to two weeks.

Follow the RICE treatment; Rest, ice, compression and elevation.
    Rest, don't use any motions that cause inflamation or pain.
    You're icing already which is good.
    If you have a way to put a compression bandage on it than do that as well. This will reduce the inflamation, swelling and help support the injured area. Just use a wide bandage of some sort.
    Relax, kick back and toss your leg up on the couch. Keep it above your heart to reduce swelling.
    For the immediate 24-72 hrs after do not apply any heat to the injured area. Do not massage the area and try to limit all movement. Hard in the real world I know.
    Stretch frequently and lightly, this is shown to help improve healing time.

The hamstring is a group of three large powerful muscles (semitendinosus, semimembranosus, and biceps femoris) that have their attachments at the lower portion of the pelvis and the back of the lower leg. They collectively serve to extend the hip and flex the knee. An injury to the hamstring group can occur when the muscle fibers are suddenly lengthened (eccentric contraction).

The bigger misconception is that these injuries will heal themselves and alot of athletes will try to pull through them. Bad idea.

old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    thank u for the replies. reps around will i be able to lift other body parts? At the moment i cant go into a squat position, or a seated position. I'm trying to figure out how to get down on a bench with DB's without hurting my leg. I dont really want to miss a workout today, but if i have to then i have too. I'm missing my classes today because i cant walk the distance and cant sit down.
    ««•Power stance, BOOM•»»

AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AutumnalPark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it is that painful, sounds more like a Moderate strain / tear, or a Grade 2. Do not do anythign to aggravate it for the first week,a nd do not stretch to much. Have to let the tear mend together. AFter a week, then can start to do more stretching and light resistance work and slow running as pain permits.

Still would recommend a doctor / physio have a look at it and advise you tho.

siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    when i was playing rep soccer ever season or so i got a hammy tear while into a full sprint...
    rest, ice compression and elevation are all very valid points...
    however the best game i have ever played was the second week after my muscle tear becuase i was wearing a neoprene compression sleeve over my quad and hamstring that and decorub or heat cream is great for limbering up the muscle...
    however it is important to ensure you recover and take the other steps first...

anti inflamatory drugs may be a quick fix however they are not good for bone density etc... i broke my legs whilst on anti inflamatory drugs "two asprins a day for 2 weeks for migraines" and i broke my leg........ bit extreem but i looked into it and they can severly decrease recovery time for bone healing etc.

NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DO NOT rush back. I pulled my hamstring earlier in the year, probably started off as a grade 1 tear. I rushed back and tore it real bad , most likely a grade 3. Several weeks later i thought i was better , it felt good, as soon as i made a cut on the field, bang, i felt like i got shot in the leg. Had me sidelined again. 4 months later it is still not healed becuase i kept reaggravating it and it is loaded with scar tissue. Missed the whole season because of it, all i needed to do was wait a little longer at first and it wouldve been fine. Dont make the same mistake as me.. A question, did you do legs earlier in the day and then ran later on in the day?
    The beast is in full bulk mode!!!

Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    same has happened to me, ive been out for about 2weeks now, going to physio and that.

its really annoying becuase i want to be training etc.

i was told hamstring are really 'fragile' and need to be left to heal and then start to strengthening them after that.

i guess its just a waiting game

GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by East1600plus View Post
    so i pulled my hamstring playing intramural football today and i'm pissed. So far i have ice on it, pressure and i took one exedrin. I'm trying not to take too many anti-inflammitories.

how long will this last and will it prevent me from lifting legs in 7 days?? i just lifted legs today. ...what tips of stretching and icing should i take for the fastest recovery??
    hamstrings are one thing you DONT wanna mess with but, depending on how you feel in 7 days, you could heat the area first and then ice it after you work out...heating it will loosen it up and perhaps some adrenaline could make you get through your workout...

if i was in your position i would just wait till its healed bro
    <HTC>

NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NHbeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by samkd View Post
    same has happened to me, ive been out for about 2weeks now, going to physio and that.

its really annoying becuase i want to be training etc.

i was told hamstring are really 'fragile' and need to be left to heal and then start to strengthening them after that.

i guess its just a waiting game
    The hardest part of any training regimine is "not training" when you are injured.
    The beast is in full bulk mode!!!

kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kcb5150 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I play ice hockey and a golden rule with us is do NOT mess with hamstring, groin, or abdominal strains or they will linger seemingly forever. Take it easy.

so i lifted my legs 1 week after the pull...i got it checked out i was told grade 1...do light stretching/light resistance

so i started real light on squats..and ended my set at 385x10 and it didnt bother me...so i just did my quads heavy like always didnt bother my hammy at all...and then i did some light leg curls...like 50 lbs for the left leg and right leg...and some seated leg curls..and did 1 set of walking lunges...it felt real good...so kinda weird...its still a little sore when i sit down on it like pressure on it...other than that it feels good, the muscle is still a little loose though , just kind of hanging...how long does it take for the muscle to tighten all the way back up?
    ««•Power stance, BOOM•»»

siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by East1600plus View Post
    so i lifted my legs 1 week after the pull...i got it checked out i was told grade 1...do light stretching/light resistance

so i started real light on squats..and ended my set at 385x10 and it didnt bother me...so i just did my quads heavy like always didnt bother my hammy at all...and then i did some light leg curls...like 50 lbs for the left leg and right leg...and some seated leg curls..and did 1 set of walking lunges...it felt real good...so kinda weird...its still a little sore when i sit down on it like pressure on it...other than that it feels good, the muscle is still a little loose though , just kind of hanging...how long does it take for the muscle to tighten all the way back up?
    it should be 100percent in 6 weeks as long as you dont re-injure it.

waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) waytoodeep03 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had a hamstring strain about two weeks ago sprinting. I thought it went away but yesterday I went out for a sprint and bang my leg has not healed and I am in more pain now than two weeks ago. Im going to get it checked out later on.

Good thread

bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigmac901 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Injuring hamstrings sucks, period. I went to a physiotherapist for mine cause I did it at the start of my summer football season and I wanted to be back faster. Even so I was still out for 5 weeks. Also, you really got be careful when you get back, cause your injured hamstring will be weak and the other one will compensate for it, which puts you at a great risk for injuring the other hamstring.

Kingkong ain't got nuthin Mtawali's Avatar
    Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mtawali is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I actually pulled mine palying soccer two weeks ago and I have not started training my legs yet. It hurts like constipation man! I have started stretching lightly and I will lay off the training until 3 full weeks.

I pulled mine because I did not warm up before I started playing. I just jumped on to the field. cheerleaders will do that to you.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've treated tons of these! Two things work best: Active Release and some stretching on your part. At some point you'll implement light exercise. But your ART doc can advise you on that.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.