Closed Thread
    booster_pump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question is squats harmfull for the bodyheight?

i am beginner bodybuilder, i am choosed "3 day work out for mass" workout set, and there squats is at the top of the list. instead of squats i prefered to do leg press, coz i have doubts whether squats are harmfull for my height, i mean i dont want to be shortend (pressed) under havy weights. i think so coz those weighlifters most of them are short guys, and some people claims that they are shor because of lifting havy weights. squats also seems me that, this excersises can have negative effects on my height.. so am i right? or all of my believes are miths lol.?

sorry for my poor english.
    Last edited by booster_pump; 05-10-2005 at 11:16 AM.

GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by booster_pump
    i am beginner bodybuilder, i am choosed "3 day work out for mass" workout set, and there squats is at the top of the list. instead of squats i prefered to do leg press, coz i have doubts whether squats are harmfull for my height, i mean i dont want to be shortend (pressed) under havy weights. i think so coz those weighlifters most of them are short guys, and some people claims that they are shor because of lifting havy weights. squats also seems me that, this excersises can have negative effects on my height.. so am i right? or all of my believes are miths lol.?

sorry for my poor english.
    It's a myth, I did my thesis when I got my masters degreee on this subject. It will make you a bit shorter that day you squat, but when you wake up the next morning you will be normal. Everyone gets shorter throughout the day. And when I say shorter I don't mean like an inch. I mean fractions of an inch. It has no effect on how tall you will actually grow.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GovernorMills
    It's a myth, I did my thesis when I got my masters degreee on this subject. It will make you a bit shorter that day you squat, but when you wake up the next morning you will be normal. Everyone gets shorter throughout the day. And when I say shorter I don't mean like an inch. I mean fractions of an inch. It has no effect on how tall you will actually grow.
    Realy? That sounds interesting...

To the thread's starter - you don't know what you're missing without squats. They'll give you tree trunks AND improve your overall strength (due to training your CNS so well).

GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    To the thread's starter - you don't know what you're missing without squats. They'll give you tree trunks AND improve your overall strength (due to training your CNS so well).
    Exactly...

Yeah the intervertebral discs just get compressed throughout the day, once you lay down at night they get back to there original form. It's natural everyone goes through it, some more than others. Which is why yes if you squat and put a lot of weight on it will put more pressure on the discs and each disc basically gets a little more "squashed" This is okay though and will not hurt you, and you always go back to the original height. Until you get older, then the nucleus propulsa (middle jelly-like part of disc) gets a little "dried out" and less bouyent. So the height does not come back as well. This will not happen for a long long long time though brotha so start squattin and have no fear. Just squat properly so you don't herniate a disc, but that is a whole other topic.

Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    But don't you guys think squatting might affect someone who is still growing? Like someone who is only 15 years old?

Bugsy

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i doubt it, unless he has some genetic defect or disease. the body of a
    youthful, growing person, especially an adolescent is REMARKABLY well
    conditioned to go thru changes and stresses. just think how many cells
    in his body are dividing and multiplying EVERY second.

wishing i was young AGAIN !!

~lifer
    They ARE who we THOUGHT they were.....

Originally Posted by Bugsy
    But don't you guys think squatting might affect someone who is still growing? Like someone who is only 15 years old?

Bugsy

Being 15 I would say get your form down, and when you think you have it down, get it down again, and when you finally think it is perfect, practice some more. Don't be a 15 year old who tries to throw on 315 and be a stud. I really don't think there is anyway it will make you shorter because it will not mess with your growth plates, but don't hurt yourself. Master the squat when you are young with light weight and it will be a great exercise for you. One thing I always learned as far as young people lifting is to teach them to master their own body weight first. Can you do 100 pushups, 100 squats with no weight ass to the grass low, 100 situps?? Master your own body weight first, if you can, then ease into the weights. Many kids start benching and they can barely do a pushup.

CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaptainQuint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Soviets (now Russians in case you didn't know) perfomed several studies into the height difference comparing weightlifters and normal youngsters. Olympic weightlifters do a lot of squatting (frontsquats mostly yes, but also back squats). No difference was found.
    In any event, even if very heavy squatting took half an inch off of you, my guess - it IS a guess - is that you'd get that inch back.
    The only precautions that need to be undertaken by young weight trainers is perfect form and the absence of crazy 1 rep max test. Max tests are fine, but crazy ones are not.

Hope that helps! If it does you can always rep me

^^good post and agreed, i'll throw ya a rep

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    If you are very concerned about the amount of weight put on the back, you could try several things...

1. One legged squats.
    2. Holding the barbell more with the arms than resting it on the back, like overhead for a simultaneous arm workout, though this is a less safe movement.
    3. Those special deadlift squat barbelly things that have two bars, they look neat.
    4. Hangs.

tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only way youre gunna loose ur height is if you **** it up and use terrible form.Try it with light weight(i find this easier than body weight) for about 30 reps, and work your legs with that rep scheme until you feel you have perfect form.Ive been squating for a about a year now and i still dont go lower than 10 reps.
    Why does **** have HIT in it?
    FINALLY LIFTING AGAIN!!!PROPERLY!!!LETS ADD SOME BEEF!!

SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirSmokesAlot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dumbest **** ive ever heard....
    A2tG Squat = 315 x 4 (350 x 1)
    Deadlift = 315 x 5 (350x1)
    Bench Press = 195 x 6 (??? x 1)

6'4''

Cutting :(
    week 1: 221
    week 2: 219
    week 3: 217
    week 4: 216
    week 5: 214
    week 6: 210
    week 7: 210
    week 8: 204

Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100) Rectus Femoris is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hang upside down like Franco Colombo used to do if it makes u feel any better.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GovernorMills
    Being 15 I would say get your form down, and when you think you have it down, get it down again, and when you finally think it is perfect, practice some more. Don't be a 15 year old who tries to throw on 315 and be a stud. I really don't think there is anyway it will make you shorter because it will not mess with your growth plates, but don't hurt yourself. Master the squat when you are young with light weight and it will be a great exercise for you. One thing I always learned as far as young people lifting is to teach them to master their own body weight first. Can you do 100 pushups, 100 squats with no weight ass to the grass low, 100 situps?? Master your own body weight first, if you can, then ease into the weights. Many kids start benching and they can barely do a pushup.
    ^^^
    <->

ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToBeOrNotToBe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rectus Femoris
    Hang upside down like Franco Colombo used to do if it makes u feel any better.
    Hey *******, you're gonna get banned for insulting other people's families... muda ****er!

Everyone else, I'm sorry for this post.
    DoN'T Be a FooL... WRaP YouR TooL!

NO! Portugal IS NOT a province of Spain!