marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HITT on a stationary bike

Is there a such thing or is it a complete waste of time
    and what would the routines be composed of

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

Why would it be any different from HIIT on a treadmill, elliptical...or any other piece of cardio equipment? Not sure what you mean by "routines" for stationary bike. Alternate high-intensity (speed and/or resistance) pedaling with easier, use same intervals as you'd use with any other form of HIIT...i.e. apply HIIT principles while sitting on the bike.

marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusbarnes30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you don't think the lactic acid that a bike causes would prevent me from acheiving the desired heart rate
    the good thing about running is it has virtually no lactic acid and the only thing that stops me from acheiving 170hr or 168hr is me

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to do HIIT, I'd say you'd be much better of actually getting out and moving your body. Cardio equipment sucks, in my not so humble opinion.

Do you weigh too much to do some actual sprinting/jogging based HIIT?
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by marcusbarnes30 View Post
    you don't think the lactic acid that a bike causes would prevent me from acheiving the desired heart rate
    the good thing about running is it has virtually no lactic acid and the only thing that stops me from acheiving 170hr or 168hr is me
    Ok, now you've lost me. You work a muscle enough in the endurance range, you're going to generate lactic acid, be it on a bike, or running, swimming, or whatever.

At any rate the intervals in HIIT are generally short enough, followed by recovery intervals, that lactic acid shouldn't be a big problem.

I don't know anyone who has used an exercise bike who can't get their heart into the 90%+ range either with resistance or pedal speed. Maybe a Tour de France cyclist, but for the rest of us it shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Cardio equipment sucks, in my not so humble opinion.
    I know, I know. Howzabout I chain the treadmill to my waist and drag it across the lawn?

VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    I know, I know. Howzabout I chain the treadmill to my waist and drag it across the lawn?
    Now THAT sounds like a good idea!
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

If you want to do HIIT, I'd say you'd be much better of actually getting out and moving your body. Cardio equipment sucks, in my not so humble opinion.

Do you weigh too much to do some actual sprinting/jogging based HIIT?
    no not at all. i am about 6'3 235 14-15%bf
    I was just looking for some variety in my Hitt
    i do hitt twice a week 5min @ 3.5mph then 20min every other min for 10mph
    once a week i walk on an incline at 12degress and 3.5mph
    and 2 a week i jog for 3miles

no not at all. i am about 6'3 235 14-15%bf
    I was just looking for some variety in my Hitt
    i do hitt twice a week 5min @ 3.5mph then 20min every other min for 10mph
    once a week i walk on an incline at 12degress and 3.5mph
    and 2 a week i jog for 3miles
    What are your goals in training?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I gotta add something here. I have tendonitis on my left ankle which makes running real f**king painful. When I do HIIT on the bike, I feel "the burn", in my ass and hams long before my heart gets over 120.

I also feel sometimes , like doing this is a waste of time.

???
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    I gotta add something here. I have tendonitis on my left ankle which makes running real f**king painful. When I do HIIT on the bike, I feel "the burn", in my ass and hams long before my heart gets over 120.

I also feel sometimes , like doing this is a waste of time.

???
    That was exactly the point I was trying to make

What are your goals in training?
    I just wanted to come down to about 10% or 9% bf for the fall

I just wanted to come down to about 10% or 9% bf for the fall
    The reason I ask is that I have a severe dislike of cardio equipment. It's so damned boring. I'd MUCH rather do some hard ass anaerobic work. Something more GPP/Crossfit like. Sled dragging, sledge hammer tire work, barbell complexes, tabata, burpees, stuff like that. So much more fun, and more "real", if I can use that word. AND, stuff like that will actually put a little muscle on you while you're out there burning calories and raising your metabolism, where you'd be hard pressed to get a similar affect out of a pile of plastic and metal in a stuffy nasty gym.

But hell. What do I know?

The reason I ask is that I have a severe dislike of cardio equipment. It's so damned boring. I'd MUCH rather do some hard ass anaerobic work. Something more GPP/Crossfit like. Sled dragging, sledge hammer tire work, barbell complexes, tabata, burpees, stuff like that. So much more fun, and more "real", if I can use that word. AND, stuff like that will actually put a little muscle on you while you're out there burning calories and raising your metabolism, where you'd be hard pressed to get a similar affect out of a pile of plastic and metal in a stuffy nasty gym.

But hell. What do I know?

what the hell are barbell complexes tabata and burpees??

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what the hell is google?

*chuckles* Some of the most effective kinds of conditioning, fat loss workouts you could ever do.

Let's just say you shouldn't eat too much before you begin.

Barbell complexes. A series of lifts, performed in rapid succession with identical loads. One example might be this. Pick up a 95LB barbell with a double over hand, roughly wider than shoulder width grip. Perform a hang clean, drop down into a front squat, do a push press on the top. That equals one rep. Do them for time or total volume.

Tabata. An exercise (generally as full body as you can make it) done for time. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 4 total minutes. The thruster is the best exercise for this, though you can use others. A thruster is a front squat push press combo.

Burpees. Start in a standing position, drop down into the bottom of a squat position, drop your hands to the floor while simultaneously kicking out your legs, landing in a pushup position, perform one pushup, kick back into the squat position, and explosively jump up as high as you can. 1 burpee. Like barbell complexes, these are done for time or total volume.

Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buck Shot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    burpees video (about 2/3 of page down):
    http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...pacity101.html

Pretty good complex called "The Beast", I think its crossfit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3ctuoU65g

thanks

Pretty good complex called "The Beast", I think its crossfit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3ctuoU65g
    Crossfit is the best. You really want to loose weight? Man up an give Crossfit a try. As soon as my damn shoulder will let me, that's the next thing I will be doing.

Crossfit is the best. You really want to loose weight? Man up an give Crossfit a try. As soon as my damn shoulder will let me, that's the next thing I will be doing.
    In your opinion is Crossfit the kind of thing that makes sense to pay a Crossfit trainer (I have one like 5 minutes away, but they're expensive 100+ a month), or can you do it on your own.

In your opinion is Crossfit the kind of thing that makes sense to pay a Crossfit trainer (I have one like 5 minutes away, but they're expensive 100+ a month), or can you do it on your own.
    Hmmm. You can do it on your own I would say. You have to be your own judge of form, so a video camera would be helpful. A lot of the program is built on squats, deads, and OLY lifts. So, the technical aspect of those lifts is obviously very important, and if you're not familiar enough with them yourself, you might need help learning them. The other down side is the equipment neccessary to do the program. Course, it's VERY basic stuff, but you do need some things.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do HIIT on the bike.

For a 5-10 min period of time (usually 5 since 10 is BRUTAL) I do 30 seconds as fast as I can, followed by 30 seconds at a moderate pace. Little warm up before and little cool down after.

Still pretty boring, but better than moderate pace crap (which isn't as effective anyways).

Like the others, I'd prefer to do GPP type stuff if it were an option.
    Who was this love of yours?

Hmmm. You can do it on your own I would say. You have to be your own judge of form, so a video camera would be helpful. A lot of the program is built on squats, deads, and OLY lifts. So, the technical aspect of those lifts is obviously very important, and if you're not familiar enough with them yourself, you might need help learning them. The other down side is the equipment neccessary to do the program. Course, it's VERY basic stuff, but you do need some things.
    Thanks

whats the rest period associated with complexes for the 20 minutes. I can't imagine you go through the whole workout without a rest

whats the rest period associated with complexes for the 20 minutes. I can't imagine you go through the whole workout without a rest
    Well, it doesn't really matter. The POINT of that kind of work is to be progressive. You can only be progressive with poundages to a certain point though. It's conditioning work, not muscle building work. So, for your first time out, you use whatever rest periods you need, and get as much work done in the specific time as possible. NEXT time, try to use LESS rest and get just a little bit more work done. Boom. Progress. Time after that, use yet a little less rest. Etc. So that would be a, do as much as you can in a specified period of time approach.

You could also use the, do X amount of work in as little time as possible approach. So, the goal might be 50 total reps of a specific barbel complex. Doesn't matter how long it takes, just get it done. The next time you do the same complex, you'd work to do the same amount of work in slightly less time, and so on.

Cool. What would you recommend for poundage?
    I do dumbell shoulder presses for 7 reps with 85lbs just so you can gauge

Also, how well this kind of conditioning affect my weightlifting days, am i to replace them with HITT?

Cool. What would you recommend for poundage?
    Well, if we're talking about the hang clean to front squat to push press combo, I'd start conservatively with maybe 65LBS. Then possible work up to 95-135 pounds.

Also, how well this kind of conditioning affect my weightlifting days, am i to replace them with HITT?
    This kind of conditioning work has the potential to negatively impact your weight lifting days, IF you don't break into it slowly. I mean, if you were to bust off a 20 minute session of complexes with 95LBS for your first try, and you weren't ready for it, that could short circuit your weight lifting efforts for a week or more, they are that intense.

So, start slow. Once or twice a week for 5 minutes your first week. 7 minutes your second week. 10 your third week. 15 minutes your fourth week. 18 minutes your fifth week. And finally, 20 minutes for your sixth week. THEN start working on getting more work in your 20 minutes in week 7+. If you break into it slowly, it will enhance your work capacity slowly, not slaughter it.

In addition, keep a good sense of variety in these workouts. Use some burpees or something sometimes. Maybe on alternating sessions.