LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Long Distance running and muscle tissue (preservation)

Can you get shredded/diced and contest ready using long distance runs (3-8 miles).

What I'm saying is when you get within the last few weeks before a show your calories are very low and your very carb depleted. Would a long distance run eat away at muscle tissue like its cool?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yes you can. Most people will say it's not optimal and will eat away at your muscle, especially your legs. I compete at 165lbs, so I don't have a lot of muscle to sacrifice but I have always incorporated 2-4 mile runs in my precontest.

I wouldn't use it as your sole source of cardio but I just hate walking on the treadmill/elliptical/stairmaster. I like to run so 1-3 times a week during doesn't seem to hurt me too bad. Here is a pic from last show and I ran quite a bit.....about 7:30 minute miles
    Attached Images

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Awesome BRO!!! THANKS!!!

THe reason I ask is, I'm gonna try and stay as lean as possible and put on 5-10LB's over this upcomming winter. THen try and get absolutly DICED (no plans on competing yet).

I do prefere LI cardio (after my lifting and in the mornings).

BUt due to the military we run alot.
    My unit runs about 3-4X per week. Each run is about 3-8 miles long and usually in boots. and AT NIGHT.

I was wondering if took in an EAA supplement (Primal EAA) + 2G Acetyl L-Carnitine + 10mg Yohimbine HCI + Fat Burner about 15-30 minutes PRE-RUN

Then sip on BCAA's throughout the run.

Then after the run my prebed meal which is usually a casein shake + natty pb + 1.75 cup spinach.

Am I looking at a loss of muscle mass here? Thanks

ALSO - Stupid question here... If I competed at 165 I'd be absolutly huge (5'5" statue). Is 165LB's @ 4-5%BF the same amount of muscle mass as someone who is 5'9 165 @ 4% BF. I mean in terms of "I don't have alot of muscle mass to sacrifice"
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do I understand where you ar coming from, as you already know I was in the military also And theres no way first sergent is gonna except "muslce catabolism" as a excuse to not do the runs. I have come to love running as I get more into my contest prep since doing hours on the treadmill gets boring as hell, just get your camelback like I do and fill it with xtend and sip it during the run.
    If this s**t was easy everyone would do it.

That's exactly what I do lol.

Lets just hope it works!

You think 4-5 scoops of Xtend during the run and 1/2 scoop Primal EAA, Alcar, YHCI 15-30 prior will do the trick?

TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TCannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea that looks good. I also like to take a tbsp of fish oil before a really long run since it helps to preserve muscle mass as well.

musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dude, I am a cardio addict. I love to run, which is not the greatest thing for a bodybuilder. It's all about the diet though. I'm not big on supplements but I would say any anti catabolism supp would help. I'm convinced natural bodybuilding is 75% diet. Good luck to you

lereese4u has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can anyone tell me what your experience has been with swimming?

My husband is a super heavy competitor. We have been experimenting with swimming. I have done a lot of research on this topic but this will be the best gauge of the information I have been able to find that is speaking with persons who are actually in the sport. He has never been able to swim well.. due to negative buoyancy.. (that is the principle that objects that are more dense cannot float and will sink).. well you can imagine this with a super heavy competitor. When playing dead in the water he sinks right to the bottom of a 4 foot pool in about 5 seconds or less. Negative buoyancy can be overcome with proper technique.. have any of you particularly those in this class active swimmers? What are the results? and also What is your technique to overcome the negative buoyancy? Do you use wet suits or other flotation devices to help? (There are belts built for persons with more muscle mass as well as wet suits that can be custom made to achieve neutral/positive buoyancy).. Since negatives use brute strength to swim.. I am interested in hearing your experience... People are not really educated on this topic, most people like myself think everyone can float so everyone can swim.. but about 3 in 10 african american men are negatively buoyant, I would imagine the majority of body builders, and also it seems to be common among asians as well (low body fat).. let me know your thoughts - steve and I want to know if there are any others out there like him...

Well im when I was 260+ pounds I had no problem swimming I just had to make sure I was putting out more effort then the smaller guys. I honestly dont think many can just float in the pool without peddaling.

are you a floater or a sinker? do you have to maintain constant motion before sinking? or will you float? if you are a sinker - would you be able to swim legs only or hands only or do you need both to stay afloat? really looking for sinkers (negative bouyant here).. This information could be really useful to body builders who think it is impossible for them to swim.. esp. the super heavys... can you tread water? is it easy or hard? again looking for negatives.. hope u are (sorry!)

I have to keep in motion the whole time to stay above water, Im about 220 Ibs right now and I went swimming the other day and really had no problem doing so. You jut have to keep in motion thats all.

Thanks TCanon.. my husband has the same build as you .. this helps a lot.