seabee.daddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question numbness in middle and ring finger on right hand+elbow pain

I was doing curls and felt a pain In my elbow. The next day my two fingers on the hand where numb. The numbness in my fingers comes and goes. I have to shake my hand and it goes away for awhile. I still Have a dull pain in my elbow as well, actually both elbows more so the right one. I'm thinking I pinched a nerve or something. I did this about 1 week ago. I'm just starting to show really good results in muscle mass and deffinition. I don't want to stop now cause I feel like I'm charging foward at an outstanding pace. Each week My strength and mass are increassing. I feel if I lay off my routine, I may loose my progress and regress. What should, or can I do? Anyone have any anwsers or suggestions for me?

TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am tempted to say Oh Ho! and oh no!

last time i felt that pain it turned out to be a herniated cervical disc.
    I don't want to jump to any conclusions or scare you but I would advise you to play it safe.

If it is a serious issue -God Forbid -then you might be able to treat it now.

Off course it might just be you over reaching because you are happy with your gains and results... but take it easy you will get results but it is better to keep on getting bigger; leaner and better rather than have to one day stop and say I wish I had known.

Make sure you exercise with proper form.
    If you decide to see a doc... ask if it is worth getting x rays or MRI's

Pain in the elbow and numbness in the fingers are typical of disc related issue.
    It might as you said be just a pinched nerve.
    Perhaps might be worth while to take it easy for a few days if the numbness and elbow pain persist or return soons as your lifting again I would strongly suggest seeing a doc.

hope this helps.

I'm bouncing -Got to catch a flight so good luck
    RPB... Raging Pit Bull

TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TripleTee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    RPB... Raging Pit Bull

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are ways to figure out which nerve it is and how far up the arm the injury is.

start at the bottom

t1 - take a dollar bill and hold it between your fingers. Have someone try and pull it out. If you cannot maintain some tension on the bill, it is T1. Interoseous muscle weakness. see a DOCTOR - NOW!!!

C8 - with one thumb up and one down - hook your fingers together and pull.
    you shouldn't be able to break them apart. If you fingers give way - C8. also see a DOCTOR - NOW!!!

I'm gonna skip C5,6,7 because they have little to do with finger and lots to do with forearm.

Ulnar nerve - pinky and little finger. numbness. Doesn't apply
    radial nerve - touch you thumb to your finger and make and OK sign. use your other hand and pull the fingers apart. When compared to the other hand they should be about the same,if you can't resist even a little. Radial nerve.

if there is no weakness between the good side and bad. It is just the radial nerve that is damaged. See a doc... he will do these tests and say that it will heal in time.

ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by HRK (herb) View Post
    There are ways to figure out which nerve it is and how far up the arm the injury is.

start at the bottom

t1 - take a dollar bill and hold it between your fingers. Have someone try and pull it out. If you cannot maintain some tension on the bill, it is T1. Interoseous muscle weakness. see a DOCTOR - NOW!!!
    This can be suggestive of an ulnar neuropathy. Don't necessarily rush to a doctor.

C8 - with one thumb up and one down - hook your fingers together and pull.
    you shouldn't be able to break them apart. If you fingers give way - C8. also see a DOCTOR - NOW!!!
    As above.

I'm gonna skip C5,6,7 because they have little to do with finger and lots to do with forearm.
    Yet you would still have weakness of wrist flexion and possibly of finger flexion if there was a C7 radiculopathy.

Ulnar nerve - pinky and little finger. numbness. Doesn't apply
    Are you serious? OP, the problem is 95% likely to be due to an ulnar neuropathy at the elbow - compressing or stretching the ulnar nerve as it passes behind the medial epicondyle of the humerus (at the point of your "funny bone"). Rest, anti-inflammatories (eg. ibuprofen) and it will get better in days-weeks.

radial nerve - touch you thumb to your finger and make and OK sign. use your other hand and pull the fingers apart. When compared to the other hand they should be about the same,if you can't resist even a little. Radial nerve.
    Don't even know where you're coming from on this.

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ulnar nerve issues are almost exclusively pinky 4th and 5th digits.

He has numbness in his 3nd and 4th.

Could it be ulnar neuropathy, yes. But from a testing and eval standpoint, I would be less concerned with Ulnar nerve issues and more concerned with Radial or medial nerve.

The stuff I suggested where basic tests that will point him in a direction of the problem NOT tell him exactly where the problem is.

It's quick and dirty field tests that all. If you can't feel your fingers - it is probably a good idea to go see a doctor.

ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ben3133 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Oops I read the topic as ring and pinky fingers.

In that case the most likely cause would be carpal tunnel syndrome in his right hand, the sore elbows being unrelated. Alternatively, another (much less likely) possibility would be the OP having a (rare) normal anatomical variation where the ulnar nerve gives cutaneous distribution to the medial 3 fingers.

Not sure why you are suggesting radial nerve.

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ben3133 View Post
    Oops I read the topic as ring and pinky fingers.

In that case the most likely cause would be carpal tunnel syndrome in his right hand, the sore elbows being unrelated. Alternatively, another (much less likely) possibility would be the OP having a (rare) normal anatomical variation where the ulnar nerve gives cutaneous distribution to the medial 3 fingers.

Not sure why you are suggesting radial nerve.
    He didn't suggest anything.... he told the OP to perform a series of test in order to pinpoint the problem at hand.

So you're assuming that the pain and numbness he got simultaneously (elbow + hand numbness) is completely unrelated. Carpal tunnel with a sudden acute onset seems rare as well.

He says he would be more concerned with the median or radial nerves. I wasn't assuming the elbow and hand were unrelated, for example the elbow pain could have caused him to perform curls with his wrist at an unnatural angle which may have caused traction of the median nerve - maybe I should have said median neuropathy at the wrist instead of CTS.

Acute CTS is rare as is a median neuropathy at the elbow. If median is not the cause, ulnar is possibly (with the anatomical variation I mentioned before). Radial is not unless the numbness is on the dorsal surface of his hand (which he hasn't specified).

OP, you aren't going to get any answers on here when no one can do a proper examination.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, do you sit with your elbows on armrests (i.e. at work/home?) If so, move them so they are not resting and see if that affects anything. This is assuming the tests above don't lead you anywhere.

Also, take some time off of exercises where your elbow is on a pad of any kind.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    OP, do you sit with your elbows on armrests (i.e. at work/home?) If so, move them so they are not resting and see if that affects anything. This is assuming the tests above don't lead you anywhere.

Also, take some time off of exercises where your elbow is on a pad of any kind.
    Time off is necessary. Pad can help.
    I tried that and it did not do much for me!

some of you guys know about my C6-C7 story. I had numbness in my thumb; index and middle fingers.

One of those fingers is common... that's why I suggested a few days rest but if the numbness and pain persiste I strongly say seek professional help.

we are all ginving information based mostly on personal experience and studies but to clear the air I think it is best to see a doc and treat the situation regardless what is causing the numbness and pain.
    RPB... Raging Pit Bull