Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Fundamentalist Atheist Big Hype's Avatar
    Stats: 5'10", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 5749
    Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Big Hype's BodySpace

Question Why do Jews rock back and forth when they pray?

^^^

What is the purpose to this movement?
    If you don't like what I have to say, you should probably move to Israel.

Stats: 7'8", 500 lbs
    BodyPoints: 24652
    Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mark_ey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mark_ey's BodySpace
    probably get really into their prayer

BodyPoints: 3712
    Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Boxman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Boxman's BodySpace
    Related question: why do kids with Downs Syndrome rock back and forth during special ed class?
    - End Alimony: indentured servitude in 21st century America - http://www.alimonyreform.org/
    - Instant Runoff Voting: demolish the two-party dictatorship - http://www.instantrunoff.com/

BodyPoints: 13195
    Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Organichu's BodySpace
    Jews sway during prayer for two reasons: the first (and probably most relevant) relates to general Jewish body language. Jews (especially the Hasidic and other Orthodox movements) often sway simply as a sign of concentration or deep thought. Many Rabbis rock and sway during reading, a public speaking, etc. Jews also do this while saying Grace after dinner.

The religious reason (at least the one most commonly given) relates to a passage in the Talmud. It basically says (and this is with a loose translation from my Hebraic copy) "all of my body/limbs will say your name, Hashem". Or more like "all of my limbs will say 'Hashem, who is like You?"

Which is basically: you alone are God and my whole body speaks of this.
    6'2", 191 lbs
    Israeli-American
    2:58:01 marathon
    39:15 10k

BodyPoints: 12428
    Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dig has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Dig's BodySpace
    Taken from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6182543AAdLwAI

Rabbi Natan Halevy of AskMoses.com has generously provided some information to me, and given me permission to share. Hopefully NOT quoting out of context, here are some of his thoughts:

"In Proverbs it is written, ?The soul of man is the candle of G-d.?

Just as a candle by nature continuously flickers upwards and downwards: so too, does the soul have this inborn nature.

The soul flickers upwards; It longs to leave the physical surroundings which limit it, and do not let it express itself. The soul wants to leave the mundane and become one with the higher reality of G-dly spirituality.

At the same time, the flame of the candle stays down and burns on the wick. The wick is the body. Why is this? Why not let the soul go up to G-d in a state of ecstasy?
    We must keep the light of the soul down here so that it will be able to illuminate our lives with the light of spirituality and G-dliness. How do we do this? By performing and fulfilling the Torah and its commandments. They are compared to oil. Which keeps the flame on the wick burning, ensuring that it will not fizzle out. So too, the soul needs these good deeds in order to keep shining in the physical realm.

Without the Mitzvot the soul may become completely extinguished. Performing physical Mitzvot also ensures that a person will not be too spiritual. Spiritual in a way that disconnects him from the physical world. Up to the point that he becomes completely separated from his reality and surroundings. This kind of ?spirituality? is usually harmful to the person and does not benefit society. Since this type of person loses all contact with reality.

The soul contains the characteristics needed to deal with and refine the physical world. This comes from the soul?s element of air. This keeps the fire of the soul on the candle. (The body)."

Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    I've never heard that explanation before. I wonder if it's purely Talmudic... I don't recall any mention of that in the Tanakh.

Very pretty, though.
    6'2", 191 lbs
    Israeli-American

BodyPoints: 22926
    EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit EOY's BodySpace
    Many Muslims do that too (in Qur'an memorization circles usually).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Svd8L7Z6I

I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it has something to do with immersing yourself in the recitation.
    "The worshipers of the Most Gracious are those who tread the earth gently, and when the ignorant speak to them, they only utter peace. In the privacy of the night, they meditate on their Lord and fall prostrate."
    "And they say, "Our Lord, let our spouses and children be a source of joy for us, and keep us in the forefront of the righteous." These are the ones who attain Paradise in return for their steadfastness; they are received therein with joyous greetings and peace."
    (Qur'an 25:63,74-75)

Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Big Hype is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by EOY View Post

I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it has something to do with immersing yourself in the recitation.
    So it's just part of Arabian and Babylonian cultures, then.

BodyPoints: 22926
    EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit EOY's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Big Hype View Post
    So it's just part of Arabian and Babylonian cultures, then.
    How'd you come up with that conclusion? I don't see how any of this is distinctly Arabic or Babylonian.
    "The worshipers of the Most Gracious are those who tread the earth gently, and when the ignorant speak to them, they only utter peace. In the privacy of the night, they meditate on their Lord and fall prostrate."
    "And they say, "Our Lord, let our spouses and children be a source of joy for us, and keep us in the forefront of the righteous." These are the ones who attain Paradise in return for their steadfastness; they are received therein with joyous greetings and peace."
    (Qur'an 25:63,74-75)

How'd you come up with that conclusion? I don't see how any of this is distinctly Arabic or Babylonian.
    Then Middle Eastern or Mediterranean perhaps? I only said Arabian and Babylonian because Islam and Judaism originated in those regions.

And I say it's cultural because it's not only limited to Jews.

And I say it's cultural because it's not only limited to Jews.
    Well, it strikes me that they're for different reasons so the cultural link isn't too relevant.
    6'2", 191 lbs
    Israeli-American

Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    Well, it strikes me that they're for different reasons so the cultural link isn't too relevant.
    When did I imply that jewish culture is the same as muslim culture?

When did I imply that jewish culture is the same as muslim culture?

You didn't, I'm doing that. Jewish is one culture- Islamic is another culture. You're saying that this is a common trait of the two. I'm saying that regardless of that observation's truth, it doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure there are other religions (I can think of at least 20 major religions, there are dozens of minors) that involve kinetic prayer. You seem to be implying that it's distinctly endemic to these cultures.

Probably just me nitpicking, but I don't really see your comment as making complete sense.
    6'2", 191 lbs
    Israeli-American

Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    You didn't, I'm doing that. Jewish is one culture- Islamic is another culture. You're saying that this is a common trait of the two. I'm saying that regardless of that observation's truth, it doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure there are other religions (I can think of at least 20 major religions, there are dozens of minors) that involve kinetic prayer. You seem to be implying that it's distinctly endemic to these cultures.

Probably just me nitpicking, but I don't really see your comment as making complete sense.
    Well I'm not entirely sure if what I said is fact, but it could very well be.

Stats: 5'8", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 18818
    ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ElderJefferson's BodySpace
    ^^^

What is the purpose to this movement?
    Poor balance?

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

BodyPoints: 14251
    Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Nagalfar has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Nagalfar's BodySpace

I have also seen this done in Africa (Central and Southern), and Hindus as well..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword, but, The sword guarantees ownership of the pen"

Overkill is an often underrated achievement.

-Rosebud 5-9-6-

Stats: 5'8", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 18818
    ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ElderJefferson has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ElderJefferson's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Nagalfar View Post
    I have also seen this done in Africa (Central and Southern), and Hindus as well..
    My kids do it all the time, and they're not even Jewish!
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

Stats: 5'7", 160 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2680
    zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zyx1337 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit zyx1337's BodySpace
    to dodge bullets

Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    BodyPoints: 28121
    Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turco has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Turco's BodySpace
    I think some eastern rite Catholics and Orthodox do this too. I don't know why though.