NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

To Bread Or Not to Bread, That Is the Question

How many of you eat breads and milk as part of your daily nutrition plan? A lot of people seem to shy away from these two food products. On the other hand, some of the best bodybuilders I know eat a ton of sandwiches and drink a gallon of milk a day. Like with most things, this topic seems to present a vast spectrum of views.

Please share yours.

Natural Ms. Olympia

MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah ill gulp down the milk and eat whole wheat bread when im bulking, im currently on a cut, so i dont need a gallon of milk, i drink no milk while cutting though im sure you can drink skim milk, but there are other alternatives.

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    P.S. This excludes dieting, cutting and/or preparing for competition, of course.

MarlboroMan:

Right on! Hood brand low-carb, fat-free milk ROCKS. And it's got more protein than regular milk.

Natural Ms. Olympia

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't feel the need to cut out or eliminate bread or milk. It seems as if the bodybuilding population seems to be refraining from foods that are nutritious just because of some voodoo nutrition myths that don't hold any truth. I can understand people eliminating bread and replacing it with more wholesome carbohydrates such as yams or oatmeal due to the corn syrup and trans fat, but milk is another story. I just don't see why people think milk is bad for them. I understand it makes some people bloated, but for people who don't suffer from lactose intollerance, I don't see why they avoid it. Milk has a pretty darn nice amino acid profile, is rich in Calcium and Vitamin D, contains insulinogenic properties that can be implemented in the post-workout time periods, and tastes great with some natty pb
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NaturalMsO
    MarlboroMan:

Right on! Hood brand low-carb, fat-free milk ROCKS. And it's got more protein than regular milk.

Natural Ms. Olympia
    YEAH! Carb Countdown! I love that stuff. I'm afraid they'll go out of business because the public is done with low carb though.

Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mivi320
    I don't feel the need to cut out or eliminate bread or milk. It seems as if the bodybuilding population seems to be refraining from foods that are nutritious just because of some voodoo nutrition myths that don't hold any truth. I can understand people eliminating bread and replacing it with more wholesome carbohydrates such as yams or oatmeal due to the corn syrup and trans fat, but milk is another story. I just don't see why people think milk is bad for them. I understand it makes some people bloated, but for people who don't suffer from lactose intollerance, I don't see why they avoid it. Milk has a pretty darn nice amino acid profile, is rich in Calcium and Vitamin D, contains insulinogenic properties that can be implemented in the post-workout time periods, and tastes great with some natty pb
    not all bread has corn syrup and trans fat in it does it? Organic bread usually is very nutrious and has a lot of good grains in it correct?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^ well said.

IMO as long as you are eating quality bread(no HFCS, whole grain/wheat, etc) then it can be part of a healthy BB diet. Same goes with milk, just drink skim milk.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am lactose intolerant and I have not bought bread in a long time, It does not satisfy me I guess as much as sweet potatoes,oats, beans, and veggies, etc. NO problem with it just don';t ever think to buy any
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

I'd be very surprised if Hood Carb Countdown milk goes off the market. As it is now, I'm going to Super Wal-Mart every couple weeks and buying, like, 10 cartons of the stuff because it flies off the shelf so quickly, they can't even keep it in the store. (And, no, it's not just because I shop there. LOL)

As for breads... Has anyone ever tried Soft Oatmeal Bread by Pepperidge Farms? The slices are so heavy and moist, they're almost wet. Best damn stuff I ever had.

Natural Ms. Olympia

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No bread here - my body tolerates unprocessed carbs best. Milk, I'm lactose intolerant, but I get Lactaid and use it post workout for its anti-catabolic/insulinogenic properties.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Really? I only know 2 stores in my area that carry it anymore. Don't get me wrong I really hope they don't go out but it just got me thinking.

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The lactose carbohydrates in milk are barely used in the body, since it prefers glucose or fructose over lactose - which means, so I've heard, that the carbs are stored as fat.

Whether or not these negatives outweigh the positives of milk, I'm not sure.
    I've still got a lot to learn.

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Khryz
    The lactose carbohydrates in milk are barely used in the body, since it prefers glucose or fructose over lactose - which means, so I've heard, that the carbs are stored as fat.

Whether or not these negatives outweigh the positives of milk, I'm not sure.
    That's why I also use oats and banana pwo along with the milk.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    when bulking i go through a gallon in about a day and a half.
    a loaf of potato bread ever few days.
    when maintaining i'll have about a gallon every 3 days and a loaf every week
    when cutting i'll rarely have any bread products or milk. save them for cheat times.

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockstarsar
    That's why I also use oats and banana pwo along with the milk.
    So you're saying that the body will simply take the glucose from the oats and fructose from the banana over the lactose from the milk? So what happens to the lactose carbs then?
    I've still got a lot to learn.

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Khryz
    So you're saying that the body will simply take the glucose from the oats and fructose from the banana over the lactose from the milk? So what happens to the lactose carbs then?
    they get converted to glucose much slower and then used as the body needs them.

Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bread and milk are always components of my diet, no matter what. So convenient, and nutritious imo. I love this spelt and barley bread, only has a few ingredients, tastes delicious and is really convenient.

MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i eat several pieces of ezekiel bread daily
    370 Highest Weight
    170 Current Weight

TheShineNSB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have three slices of whole-wheat bread per day, along with several 16oz glasses of 1% milk. It hasn't stopped me from losing 25lbs this year (222 -> 197).

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The human body used to not produce the enzyme that breaks down lactose after about age 5. Over the last few thousand years we've changed that around because of agricultural and pastoral diets. Now many of us can digest it a lot easier....but since it's so recent, many people can't. Even if you can digest it pretty well, the human body isn't that especially well adapted to drinking the milk of another animal. That would explain why lactose is the bottom of the barrel over fructose and others.

I'll cheat when I'm Dead! JOE_CHET's Avatar
    JOE_CHET has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cutting and have one cup of skim milk for breakfast and when I have a sandwhich I"ll use only one piece of bread and substitute a giant piece of lettuce for the other

creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    before i started cutting i was going through 2 gallons of skim milk a week and 2 loafs of multigrain or whole wheat bread now that im cutting i will go through probably half a gallon of skim milk and i buy one loaf of multigrain bread a week and split it with my mom.

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Colinballin23
    not all bread has corn syrup and trans fat in it does it? Organic bread usually is very nutrious and has a lot of good grains in it correct?
    Nope, not all breads have corn syrup, trans fat, and other additives. There's some decent breads out there, but I personally prefer sprouted grain breads as they contain no preservatives, additives, or corn syrup/trans fat. So yes, Organic bread is definately a superior choice of bread due to the fact that it has gone under limited adulteration methods. Plus, sprouting the grains actually brings out more nutrients into the bread than regular processed bread products have. Some sprouted grains and organic bread, like Ezekiel bread, is even a complete protein;meaning it contains all the essential amino acids. Definately a good deal all around, ya know?
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Colinballin23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nope, not all breads have corn syrup, trans fat, and other additives. There's some decent breads out there, but I personally prefer sprouted grain breads as they contain no preservatives, additives, or corn syrup/trans fat. So yes, Organic bread is definately a superior choice of bread due to the fact that it has gone under limited adulteration methods. Plus, sprouting the grains actually brings out more nutrients into the bread than regular processed bread products have. Some sprouted grains and organic bread, like Ezekiel bread, is even a complete protein;meaning it contains all the essential amino acids. Definately a good deal all around, ya know?
    I hear ya those are the breads I prefer sprouted grains and ezekiel. I actually think they taste better than the ones with all the perservatives in them but thats just my opinion. I go through a loaf of sprouted grain bread (about 12 to 14 slices int he loaf) in about 4 to 5 days when I'm bulking.
    Last edited by Colinballin23; 05-07-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zorro274 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a big fan of the ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread and english muffins.....great stuff!!

Also, i drink some milk, but i seem to enjoy yogurt much better. And yes it is the FF Plain variety.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Steve_W
    Bread and milk are always components of my diet, no matter what. So convenient, and nutritious imo. I love this spelt and barley bread, only has a few ingredients, tastes delicious and is really convenient.
    I'm with you on that Steve. I usually eat Ezekiel bread as it's the most convenient type for me, but I really love pumpernickel and dark rye.
    Unaffiliated.