Thread: Sweet Snacks

Somewhere in the Motor. super D's Avatar
    super D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Sweet Snacks

I like fruit for my weekend snacks. But a childhood favorite of mine is the Cinnammin Graham Crackers by Keebler. Is there any harm in munching on these delicious treats each weekend?

Thanks
    SuperD.

jeannieamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeannieamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    graham crackers are loaded with trans fats
    cutting until 31 May

Re:Sweet Snacks

So....I guess I better find a different sweet snack...any suggestions?

wannaturnheads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wannaturnheads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by super D
    So....I guess I better find a different sweet snack...any suggestions?
    There was just a post for oatmeal cookies in the recipe thread that looked really good. There are also a ton of protein pancake recipes that use Splenda that are awesome! I like fruit for sweet snacks too.

Re:Sweet Snacks.

I'll take a look at that oatmeal recipe.
    I need a sweet-fix once-in-while.
    I'll miss my cinnammon gram snacks.

thanx
    Super D.

jeannieamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeannieamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by super D
    I need a sweet-fix once-in-while.
    I'll miss my cinnammon gram snacks.

I miss them, too. I used to have them every morning when I was little with milk and made it all mush... sooooo good......
    cutting until 31 May

lilredcherry7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about those 100 calotie packs? I snack on them! The oreo ones are great and have 0 sat. fat.

ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajrobin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a sweets junkie. I have to eat something sweet immediately after I finish eating. This has been one of the hardest things for me to overcome in my "clean eating" habits (and I still haven't) . Here's some suggestions that have worked for me:

-Lattes (fat free milk, sugar free syrup w/ 0 cals)
    - diet dr. pepper
    - ff sugar free pudding
    - sweet gum
    - one bite of a brownie/cake (the pleasure comes from the 1st bite)

I don't know if these are the best suggestions, but it is much better than pigging out on sweets like I used to!!

Re:Sweet Snacks

Originally Posted by jeannieamp
    I miss them, too. I used to have them every morning when I was little with milk and made it all mush... sooooo good......
    what-do-ya mean when you were little jeanniamp...I still like mine "milky and mushy"(lol)......but for the sake of quality living...I shall let'um go.

Super D

Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Falkon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here in Dallas we have a large healthy supermarket called "Central Market" and they carry a healthier version of grahm crackers. They are made with whole wheat flour and have no trans fats (low fat overall too).

Note they are still not a low calorie food and I use them only when bulking. However during a mainteance diet or used sparingly on a cutting diet it should be ok. They are fairly high GI I'm sure because they are processed even though the flour is whole wheat. If you need to satisify a craving with minimal damage you could try eating these post workout as your body will utilize the high GI carbs.

I can't remember the brand but I want to say they were Sunshine or something, not a lot of fancy wrappings on the box. If you can't find them just PM me and I will check next week when I'm at that store.
    Cutting - 6' 3" - 28 yrs
    Jan 10th - 219 lbs (end of winter dirty bulk)
    July 30th - 192lbs - Approx 9% bf

featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I make eggwhite meringue cookies (1/2c egg whites, sweetener of your choice, cream of tartar and a little gum thickener (Expert Foods Not/sugar works for me). Very low cal (1/2c whites or equiv in dry whites makes a whole cookie pan) and crunchy.

Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by featherz
    I make eggwhite meringue cookies (1/2c egg whites, sweetener of your choice, cream of tartar and a little gum thickener (Expert Foods Not/sugar works for me). Very low cal (1/2c whites or equiv in dry whites makes a whole cookie pan) and crunchy.
    you should post the complete recipe with instructions and nutrient info in the recipe thread in this section! I'm sure many ladies would love it.
    Currently fluctuating in beautiful pulses

featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Problem with the recipe is it requires some very specialized ingredients and I kinda just throw them all together until it looks about right. I'll try to get something together- maybe someone else knows a recipe without all the oddball stuff. From memory it's something like:

3 tbsp dry egg white
    1/2 c davinci syrup (or use 1/2 c wet egg white and no syrup)
    1-2 tbsp of thickener (Expert Foods Not/sugar (guar, xanthan gum)
    1 tbsp Polydextrose (optional, it's a fiber that gives a bit of sugar grit and texture)
    Sweetener to taste - I use Erythritol, Splenda and Stevia depending on the recipe.
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Whip egg whites until foamy, add Cream of tartar and whip more. Add thickener, whip until very stiff peaks form. Add everything else and whip - drop in small drops on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper or non stick spray and bake for 1 -1.5 hours at 200F. Makes about 30-35 cookies per recipe - the calorie count would depend on the sweeteners and how much egg white you use but generally it's around 3-5 cals/cookie.

Egg white meringues are easy- the egg whites and cream of tartar are really the most important part of the recipe - the rest is all experimenation. :P

Here is the recipe I adapted my recipe from - it's off the 'low carb friends' forum and is not mine :

2 egg whites
    1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or flavor of choice
    2 Tablespoons DaVinci Syrup, or any sf flavored syrup
    2 Tablespoons Expert Foods Not-Sugar
    1/2 teaspoon polydextrose
    2 Tablespoons erythritol, combine erythritol, Not-Sugar, and polydextrose.

1. Combine extract and Syrup in a small dish like a custard cup.

2. Combine Not-Sugar, polydextrose, and erythritol in another small dish.

3. Beat egg whites until not quite stiff peaks. Add the cream of tartar while still beating.

4. Add while beating, the vanilla extract, flavored syrup, and liquid splenda. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.

5. Continue beating and slowly add the combined erythritol, Not-Sugar and polydextrose.

6. Spoon out onto a parchment lined cooky sheet. Swirl with spoon to get the pointy tops.

7. Bake at 225 for 1 hour and 30 minutes, then turn off oven and let dry.

Per entire recipe: 53 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 110mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); trace Protein; trace Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit.

bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluebird will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Falkon
    Here in Dallas we have a large healthy supermarket called "Central Market" and they carry a healthier version of grahm crackers. They are made with whole wheat flour and have no trans fats (low fat overall too). .
    Trader Joe's here in L.A. also carries a brand of graham crackers with no trans fat, too. They're made by Barbara's and they're organic. I'm a chocoholic with a really hyperactive sweet tooth, so it's been hard for me to cut out all my favorite treats. But I'll have a few of these when i'm just dying for something sweet. They're actually really good.

Oh...just noticed they have a website on the box, too: www.barbarasbakery.com You can see the ingredients they use.