The Purple People Eater The Viking's Avatar
    The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

What are some good exercises to replace Push-ups and Dips?

I've been doing pushups and dips for my chest and triceps, but they seem to be kind of ineffective lately. I pretty much follow the sets and reps given here: http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml And like I said before, they don't wear me out much anymore.

So, what should I do to possibly replace them? Or should I just add weight to them somehow?

In case you're wondering, I also do Dumbbell Fly's and Skull Crushers (Dumbbell/Triceps Extensions) for my chest and triceps. 3 sets of 12.

So, if anyone can help, it would be wonderful. But keep in mind, all I have are dumbbells, so that may make stuff difficult... Or even better, since I'm kinda naive in all this, get me a complete package of exercises to do in a session that target the triceps and chest.

Thanks in advance!

Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For dips, you can put the dumbells between your legs, or get a rope and attach them to your waist and do the dips. As for pushups, dont know. But, using your DBs, you could also do DB presses for chest as well as flyes.

Also, DB extensions for triceps are good.

Best thing would be to join a gym if you could.

MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah for dips i'd say add weights. they're such a great exercise i'd hate for you to ditch them. you can buy a belt that you can hang your dumbbells from relatively cheap and bingo. harder dips.

as far as pushups, i'd say decline bench presses (BB orDD) would be the closest thing to emulating/replacing them. unless you wanted to buy a weighted vest and keep doing puch ups. but really you could use any pressing movement.

if you're into the bodyweight workouts try this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 it's taylored to get people prepared for BUD/s training. i have it, just havent attempted the workout plan yet it would keep you doing the pushups/dips, but might be a nice and challenging change in reps, tempo and intensity.

quick questioin for you. how have your results been with bodyweight movements? has it done good things for your body strength wise as well as looks wise? just interested.

The Purple People Eater The Viking's Avatar
    The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for the info both of you.

MT!:

Well, I do more than just bodyweight exercises. But yeah, I haven't noticed extreme gains. Then again, I haven't been working consistantly for too long. Sorry I couldn't give any more information.

I have another question here. How should you feel after a workout? Should you be completely worn out, or should you still be able to do a few more reps of an exercise?

HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good ol' flat bench is good for chest growth. I like dips, just add weight as your strength goes up. Personally I don't like DB flies, cable crossovers, and things like that. I keep my chest workouts basic. Flat bench and incline bench work pretty good. I hear decline works good too but I've never really tried it much.

Flat bench and incline are a little trickier with DB's than with BB but they still work good (better in some people's opinions) Just start out light, get your form down, and work your way up.
    Last edited by HulkHagen; 05-04-2005 at 08:16 PM.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile

Originally Posted by The Viking
    I've been doing pushups and dips for my chest and triceps, but they seem to be kind of ineffective lately. I pretty much follow the sets and reps given here: http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml And like I said before, they don't wear me out much anymore.

So, what should I do to possibly replace them? Or should I just add weight to them somehow?

In case you're wondering, I also do Dumbbell Fly's and Skull Crushers (Dumbbell/Triceps Extensions) for my chest and triceps. 3 sets of 12.

So, if anyone can help, it would be wonderful. But keep in mind, all I have are dumbbells, so that may make stuff difficult... Or even better, since I'm kinda naive in all this, get me a complete package of exercises to do in a session that target the triceps and chest.

Thanks in advance!
    Got 3 Chairs?

Put two out to the sides wider than shoulder width and one behind you to support your legs-do suspended pushups. You could add a weighted backpack for more weight.
    Now, while you're at it, use these three chairs to do bench dips-just turn facing the chair you were using for you legs-put your legs up so you're facing the chair with your legs on it-you get it.
    Your hand placement should be at the corner of the chairs. Works better with sturdy wooden chairs.

Sorry to post that so many times but I find those 2 really effective.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    start adding weight. progressive resistance is important aspect of lifting and making progress.
    <->