dearcole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question WHY Should I? use protein powder

hi i am new to bodybuilding and i was just wondering
    i am looking to reduce my body fat from around 18% to 12-10%

i swim at least 1000 yrds almost everymorning and try to get in some weight lifting (not sure how effective it is though) at least 2-4 times a week.

i was just wondering about protein powder. i bought some awhile ago but didnt know much about it. the kind i have is whey protein.

does it make you gain weight?
    who should be using protein powder, like who qualifys to have it in their diet?
    how often should i have it and how much when and if i do?
    what is the best kind to use?
    should this supplement or be included in the amount of protein that i have in my daily diet?
    does it help to reduce body fat?

thank you so much for your help!
    so glad i found this site!!

mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mommykuce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dearcole
    does it make you gain weight?
    It can help you to build muscle mass, but it won't make you gain body fat.
    who should be using protein powder, like who qualifys to have it in their diet?
    Anyone who is doing physical activity and wants an easier and effective way to supplement their protein intake. Just remember, you should still consume as much real food sorces of protein as possible- is meant to supplement, not be the main source. And is also not meant for people who are looking to use it for weight loss like a Slim Fast Shake or something.
    how often should i have it and how much when and if i do?
    I usually recommend having a protein shake Pre- and Post- workout with some added carbs, like fruit, milk (or both). You can also add some in oatmeal to get in some protein. It depends what brand you are using- most one scoop mixed with water or milk is one serving, but others you can do 1-3 scoops depending on the directions.
    what is the best kind to use?
    Whey Protein- it is quickly absorbed which is important in a post workout "meal". What brand is best depends on your taste. I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, choc, choc. mint, and vanilla flavor. I like the taste and easy to mix, and not that expensive.
    should this supplement or be included in the amount of protein that i have in my daily diet?
    Should be supplemented. Real food is always best.
    does it help to reduce body fat?
    Not directly. All Protein aids in the growth of lean muscle tissue, and whey protein helps in muscle recovery when taken with some carbs (fruit is best) within 30 minutes after a workout. So it will help you to gain lean muscle mass (any protein can), and muscle helps to burn fat all day long.
    A Mommy's work is never done- but we get paid in Hugs & Kisses!