Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Very serious problem encountered while deadlifting. *reps* for help

Ok, I love deadlifts, great for strength. However, last time when I went for 1x5, I felt a tremendous amount of pressure in my midsection/lungs/chest, not entirely sure where it was. I went for 375 lbs 1x5, the lockout was very easy. My hamstrings didn't give out during the beginning either(I could do more weight, and have before), however, it felt like something inside me was going to blow up.

I've really worked on my form as of late, went and deloaded 40 lbs to work more on form. I initiate the pull from my legs. I take a deep breath and hold it until the bar is past my shins, is that what could cause it?

I don't want to stop deadlifting as it's a great power exercise. I am now doing power cleans, should I try less frequent deadlifting?(once every 2 weeks or so?)

I've heard many get stronger at deadlifts by not deadlifting, heh. I could try stiff legged deadlifts off of a platform. Stiff legged deadlifts and power cleans probably aren't enough of a substitute, are they? I'm open to suggestions.
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I take a deep breath and hold it until the bar is past my shins, is that what could cause it?
    Your intra thoracic and inra abdominal pressure were probably very high, that's why you felt you were going to explode. I dont think that's too healthy at all.

I would take a few deep breaths and then EXHALE and only then hold my breath and pull.

Also, stiff legged deads off a platform? Why? No. You'll kill your back. Do regular pulls off a platform is the liftoff is a sticking point. Also do Romanian deadlifts to work your hams.

I also noticed that heavy cleans and not deadlifting very often improve my deadlift.

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Your intra thoracic and inra abdominal pressure were probably very high, that's why you felt you were going to explode. I dont think that's too healthy at all.

I would take a few deep breaths and then EXHALE and only then hold my breath and pull.

Also, stiff legged deads off a platform? Why? No. You'll kill your back. Do regular pulls off a platform is the liftoff is a sticking point. Also do Romanian deadlifts to work your hams.

I also noticed that heavy cleans and not deadlifting very often improve my deadlift.
    Alright, so I take a deep breath, but let some out and then hold it, correct? I don't see how form would make it tight on the inside.

Hmm, I believe a few coaches at t-nation(Dave Tate?) were recommending stiff legged deadlifts off of a platform.

I didn't stall, but, yes, I believe the beginning portion will be where I stall, it is where I stalled before. I should do regular pulls off of a platform? I have incorporated pull throughs...

Recommendations on whether I should continue deadlifting and power cleaning? Pull throughs were nice

ISSA Certified CFT

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    Alright, so I take a deep breath, but let some out and then hold it, correct? I don't see how form would make it tight on the inside.
    Yes, it surely is safer than taking a lungful of air and then holding your breath while pulling.

I should do regular pulls off of a platform?
    That's standard advice for those who have difficulty getting the bar off the ground, yes

Recommendations on whether I should continue deadlifting and power cleaning?
    Power cleaning off the floor with proper form is great and you can do it much more often than deadlifting. And it will help your deadlifting too.

Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Yes, it surely is safer than taking a lungful of air and then holding your breath while pulling.

That's standard advice for those who have difficulty getting the bar off the ground, yes

Power cleaning off the floor with proper form is great and you can do it much more often than deadlifting. And it will help your deadlifting too.
    aside from pushing and other exercises...

MONDAY 5X5 BENT OVER ROWS

WEDNESDAY 3x3 POWER CLEANS 3X5 WEIGHTED PULLUPS

FRIDAY 1X5 DEADLIFTS

Anything I should change? I don't think I could throw in more power cleans...deadlifts are a bit taxing. I'll try not holding my breath in as much.

Also, what about a stretch reflex out of the bottom or whatever...I've heard that. They say not to sit in the bottom and pull, but rather stay in an upper position then quickly go down and pull. Is this true? It's what I've been trying to do.

ISSA Certified CFT

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    aside from pushing and other exercises...

MONDAY 5X5 BENT OVER ROWS

WEDNESDAY 3x3 POWER CLEANS 3X5 WEIGHTED PULLUPS

FRIDAY 1X5 DEADLIFTS

Anything I should change? I don't think I could throw in more power cleans...deadlifts are a bit taxing. I'll try not holding my breath in as much.

Also, what about a stretch reflex out of the bottom or whatever...I've heard that. They say not to sit in the bottom and pull, but rather stay in an upper position then quickly go down and pull. Is this true? It's what I've been trying to do.
    yes utilize the stretch reflex with deadlifts and the O lifts in particular. Also try to just grip and rip because the longer your holding the bar, the more chance there is of a missed lift. Just grab, dip and rip
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by Thaigga View Post
    yes utilize the stretch reflex with deadlifts and the O lifts in particular. Also try to just grip and rip because the longer your holding the bar, the more chance there is of a missed lift. Just grab, dip and rip
    Dip and rip sounds like a potential injury...

ISSA Certified CFT

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dip and rip sounds like a potential injury...
    nah dude you set your back and everything beforehand, but you dont dip down until your ready. But when you are, dip and rip as fast as safely possible because sitting down there in the hole will make for a very slow heavy rep.
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by Thaigga View Post
    nah dude you set your back and everything beforehand, but you dont dip down until your ready. But when you are, dip and rip as fast as safely possible because sitting down there in the hole will make for a very slow heavy rep.
    Ok, just by reading "rip" it looks like you meant pull with your back...so I dip and rip by pushing my legs down, right? Ok, got it. Just clearing that up.

ISSA Certified CFT