Thread: Diet Advice!

Exyphon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet Advice!

Hi everyone,

So my dilemmas are as such: I've read tons and tons of material here and other places, but I'm just not sure what the right plan/diet for me is.
    To begin, I'll give you my backstory. About 2 years ago, I was about 120 lbs (5' 7", no 6 pack so high fat %), which is when I decide to make a
    change in my lifestyle. Didn't wanna be the skinny little boy anymore! After about 1 year, I've grew a lot in terms of strength (145 lbs,
    lifting tons more than before), but now I'm basically stuck at the same size (Probably due to no strict diet/plan, and way too much alcohol).

I am a healthy eater, but being in college the consumption of alcohol obviously impeded my effort to become lean as well as big. I've quit
    drinking now, and am determined to make a change for the better. I have no problems sticking to a diet and a work out plan, I just need to
    know what would be best for me specifically. I've attached pictures of then to now in this post to help you guys determine where I'm at and maybe
    an idea of my body type.

As you can see, I have persistant fat around my abs that I would love to get rid of. After doing a lot of research on this forum, it seems like
    everything tells me that just dieting will give me the fat loss at the expense of muscle size. I've worked really hard to get to this level
    (although, not even very big), so I don't want to give that up! After reading the section on ketosis, that plan seems amazingly close to what I
    want and I'm ready to commit to it, but I wanted to get some secondary advice before so.

My diet as of now is very protein heavy (probably too much) , I'm not even sure if it's a good one, it just seemed healthy. I seem to get about
    22% fat
    28% carb
    50% protein
    1700 calories consisting of strictly apples, almonds, bananas, strawberries, (choice between lean chicken, lean beef), spinach, and cucumber. (pretty boring, I know)

I also take optimum multivit, and optimum whey for post work outs.

This is split up across 6 meals from 8 am to 9 pm, with the fruits acting as snacks anytime before the evening.

What are you guys' suggestions? I'm open to anything! If keto is the way to go, I'm all for it, just the though of consuming so much fat is scary to a beginner, so it would be nice to have re assurance.

THANKS!!
    Attached Images

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Exyphon View Post
    Hi everyone,

So my dilemmas are as such: I've read tons and tons of material here and other places, but I'm just not sure what the right plan/diet for me is.
    To begin, I'll give you my backstory. About 2 years ago, I was about 120 lbs (5' 7", no 6 pack so high fat %), which is when I decide to make a
    change in my lifestyle. Didn't wanna be the skinny little boy anymore! After about 1 year, I've grew a lot in terms of strength (145 lbs,
    lifting tons more than before), but now I'm basically stuck at the same size (Probably due to no strict diet/plan, and way too much alcohol).

I am a healthy eater, but being in college the consumption of alcohol obviously impeded my effort to become lean as well as big. I've quit
    drinking now, and am determined to make a change for the better. I have no problems sticking to a diet and a work out plan, I just need to
    know what would be best for me specifically. I've attached pictures of then to now in this post to help you guys determine where I'm at and maybe
    an idea of my body type.

As you can see, I have persistant fat around my abs that I would love to get rid of. After doing a lot of research on this forum, it seems like
    everything tells me that just dieting will give me the fat loss at the expense of muscle size. I've worked really hard to get to this level
    (although, not even very big), so I don't want to give that up! After reading the section on ketosis, that plan seems amazingly close to what I
    want
    and I'm ready to commit to it, but I wanted to get some secondary advice before so.

My diet as of now is very protein heavy (probably too much) , I'm not even sure if it's a good one, it just seemed healthy. I seem to get about
    22% fat
    28% carb
    50% protein
    1700 calories consisting of strictly apples, almonds, bananas, strawberries, (choice between lean chicken, lean beef), spinach, and cucumber. (pretty boring, I know)

I also take optimum multivit, and optimum whey for post work outs.

This is split up across 6 meals from 8 am to 9 pm, with the fruits acting as snacks anytime before the evening.

What are you guys' suggestions? I'm open to anything! If keto is the way to go, I'm all for it, just the though of consuming so much fat is scary to a beginner, so it would be nice to have re assurance.

THANKS!!
    Why would you lose muscle?

What do you mean keto is what you want?

Your macros are COMPLETELY wrong for keto

Also 41g of fat is low
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Exyphon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Why would you lose muscle?

What do you mean keto is what you want?

Your macros are COMPLETELY wrong for keto

Also 41g of fat is low
    Oh no, this diet is not a keto one, it's just what I'm doing right now. I was questioning whether I should switch to keto or not. Uhm after reading a bunch of posts, I see that people say that when you try to cut down fat (with a calorie deficit), your body won't have enough energy to provide for muscle recovery (So you lose fat but also some muscle mass?)
    A lot of people suggest the keto diet for burning fat and not cutting into muscle, or so it seems

My bad for the poorly worded original post:
    I guess the right question is whether this diet (with some modifications) is okay, or if switching to keto would be better for me
    Last edited by Exyphon; 06-14-2012 at 01:00 AM.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    People lose muscle from cutting too severely and not lifting heavy weights. FYI carbs are protein sparing

Keto is good if YOU dislike carbs or rather not eat them, it is no better than any other diet for fat loss. The idea is to find a diet that suits you and you will stick to
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321