TIMBOBOY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner needs advice on workout program

Hi, I'm new to the forums and am a bit of a beginner.

I have been doing weight training for a year or so, but now I want to get serious.

I am currently about 162 pounds and 5ft8. My goal is too gain lean muscle and to lose a little body fat. I wouldn't really want to be any heavier than 175-180 pounds though.

I want to work out 3 days a week. Sunday, Tuesday and Friday would be best for me.

Can anyone suggest a simple training program for me to follow?

How many sets should I do? How many reps should I do for each exercise?

I will also be using both creatine and protein. When should I take these? Everyday? or only on training days? And should I take them in the morning or after my workout?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I've been reading so much and am now just confused. You guys seem to know what you are on about.

Thanks in advance

Can someone please help me??

jverch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll give you my thoughts...
    If you're going to work out 3 days a weeks you'll have to cover all your bodyparts in that week.
    (Try also seaching bodybuilding.com for split routine articles...I found a good one once).

Day1: Chest(3-4 exercises)
    Back (3-4 exercises) and Abs

Day2: Legs (5-6 exercises) and
    Shoulders (3 exercises)

Day3: Biceps (3 exercises)
    and Triceps (3 exercises) and Abs

For number of sets/reps:
    For each exercise shoot for 3 sets
    with 10-12 reps for 1st set
    with 8-10 reps for 2nd set
    with 6-8 reps for 3rd set
    adding weight to the exercise so these
    reps are your failure point (can't do
    anymore)
    For legs up the target reps above by 2.

If you're taking protien and creatine take them every day whether you're working out that day or not...you don't want your body to get depleted. Take at least 1g of protien per pound of bodyweight per day (a big dose within 2 hours after a workout).
    Take creatine around 5g of creatine after a workout because that's when you'll get maximum absorption...take with some type of energy drink (Twin Lab Carbo Fuel?) to refuel muscles and increase creatine transport to muscles.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
    "Every man dies; not every man truly lives"
    William Wallace

Thanks for the reply...

What are some good exercises for back, triceps and shoulders if I only have access to free weights and a bench?

RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by TIMBOBOY

What are some good exercises for back, triceps and shoulders if I only have access to free weights and a bench?
    Back
    You need to get somthin' to do chin ups on, do as many sets as it take to get to 50 chin ups, then do barbell or dumbbell rows to add thickness to the back if you have enough weight do deadlifts
    Triceps
    hmm free weights and a bench, well tri cable extensions are good but with what you got i'd say overhead dumbbell extension, dumbbell kickbacks, close grip bench, bench dips.
    Shoulders
    Military press, arnold press, side lateral raises, dumbbell flyes, and front raises
    that should help get you started hope i helped.
    \in*ten*si*ty\ - Exceptionally great concentration, power, or force.
    see also: KAMEHAMEHA!!!

H.V.T. - High Volume Training!