Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

Originally Posted by misstransformer View Post
    Thank you so much for the support. I have a few pages left to read, but will do so this week. I don't want to rush through them. I'll definitely return if questions arise. I can learn a lot in this section. Have a beautiful Tuesday Ronnie! T
    Your very welcome!

misstransformer, I also wanted to point out that you are 100% correct in your assesment about Slingshot Training not being a "cookie cutter" routine. I've never seen a "cookie cutter" routine that would work for everyone.

The beauty of Slingsthot Training is that it does work for everyone when the proper adjustments are made. What I have outlined is a basic foundation of Slingshot Training.
    Author of the "Slingshot Training System"

Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SamIam3 View Post
    Mr.Rowland....There's 2 dudes at Golds Gym going around preaching 2 grams of protein for each LB of BW like it's the gospel....I told them what you teach and they said you are wrong....And that I need more than 1.5 grams of protein for each LB of BW....You are my authority on bodybuilding...What says you?? By the way.... They are both smaller than yours truly...lmao

Sam, some people like to exxagerate!

Many of these guys going around saying they take in 2 grams or more of protein per pound of body weight on a daily basis are doing good to get in 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight. And a lot of people couldn't afford nor could they stomach that much protein day in-day out. It would make me sick!

I have seen no evidence that taking in any more than about 1.25 grams of protein per pound of protein increases anabolism. In addition, there is some evidence that consuming too much can actually reduce anabolism.

The only time you could go as high as 2 grams per pound of body weight is during a pre-contest phase. When you are in a state of ketosis the excess protein will not turn into carbs like it does during the off-seaon when plenty of carbs are already in the diet. Protein has about a 50% efficiency at turning to carbs (glucose)! When you exceed your protein needs during the off-season, half of that expensive protein you just ate turns to glucose.

craigiedo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Ronnie

i have been looking at your training program for a while now and am ready to give it a bash .i would like to thankyou for putting in so much work to help everyone.
    i hope you dont think its cheeky of me but what are your opinions on people altering your routine to suite there personal prefferences and body types.
    i am looking at starting a sts 4 day split but i know after working my chest my shoulders and triceps would not be ready to work the next day.
    i have altered the split slightly to what i think will suit me but would love to hear your opinions or any advice you may give

MON=chest and triceps abs
    TUES=back and biceps
    WED=off
    THURS=legs and calves
    FRIDAY=shoulderes and traps

MON-
    CHEST TRICEPS ABS
    key-decline bench press .secondary-incline bemch press .key-tricep dips .secondary-cable push downs.key-crunches .secondary-leg raises

TUES-
    BACK BICEPS
    key-deadlift. key-middle grip pull up.secondary bent arm pullover.key-bent over barbell rows.secondary-t bar rows.key seated dumbell curls .secondary seated prescher curls
    WED
    off
    THURS-
    LEGS CALVes
    key-barbell squats.secondary-leg extension.key lying leg curls.secondary-stiff legged deadlift.key standing calf raises .secondart=seated calf raises

FRIDAY-
    SHOULDERS TRAPS
    key-seated clean and press .secomdarydumbell press.key db side latteral raises.secondary-bent over rear latteral cable raises.key-upright rows .secondary barbell shruggs

any advice would be greatly appritiated

regards craig

Thumbs up Great Question!!!

Originally Posted by craigiedo View Post
    Hi Ronnie

i have been looking at your training program for a while now and am ready to give it a bash .i would like to thankyou for putting in so much work to help everyone.
    i hope you dont think its cheeky of me but what are your opinions on people altering your routine to suite there personal prefferences and body types.
    i am looking at starting a sts 4 day split but i know after working my chest my shoulders and triceps would not be ready to work the next day.
    i have altered the split slightly to what i think will suit me but would love to hear your opinions or any advice you may give

MON=chest and triceps abs
    TUES=back and biceps
    WED=off
    THURS=legs and calves
    FRIDAY=shoulderes and traps

MON-
    CHEST TRICEPS ABS
    key-decline bench press .secondary-incline bemch press .key-tricep dips .secondary-cable push downs.key-crunches .secondary-leg raises

TUES-
    BACK BICEPS
    key-deadlift. key-middle grip pull up.secondary bent arm pullover.key-bent over barbell rows.secondary-t bar rows.key seated dumbell curls .secondary seated prescher curls
    WED
    off
    THURS-
    LEGS CALVes
    key-barbell squats.secondary-leg extension.key lying leg curls.secondary-stiff legged deadlift.key standing calf raises .secondart=seated calf raises

FRIDAY-
    SHOULDERS TRAPS
    key-seated clean and press .secomdarydumbell press.key db side latteral raises.secondary-bent over rear latteral cable raises.key-upright rows .secondary barbell shruggs

any advice would be greatly appritiated

regards craig

Mark one up for craigiedo!!!!! He asked a very important question...

Just as everybody has a unique training preference. This includes exercise selection and the way the body parts are split. No one split can be said to be holy grail because so much is dependent on individual preferences.

The training splits I have listed are mere samples that work very well. But, you can use your own customized split. Just keep the sets as I have outlined them in the sample splits and do NOT use a bad splits were a lot of over-lapping occurs between bodyparts if you want Slingshot Training to work for you!!!

Registered User misstransformer's Avatar
    misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Your very welcome!

misstransformer, I also wanted to point out that you are 100% correct in your assesment about Slingshot Training not being a "cookie cutter" routine. I've never seen a "cookie cutter" routine that would work for everyone.

The beauty of Slingsthot Training is that it does work for everyone when the proper adjustments are made. What I have outlined is a basic foundation of Slingshot Training.
    Hey Ronnie - Sorry it took a few days for me to respond. I finally read all the pages. Thanks again for sharing this information, and the website link. I've added it to my saved bookmarks. Also, it was clear that what you've presented is a "basic foundation", with plenty of room for customization.

Just a little bit about me, I'm a mix of endo/meso(based on online tests), gain muscle and strength easily, but find cardio challenging. Originally I thought my metabolism was very slow, but I think it may be average. I just ate compulsively for years and was sedentary which is why I was obese.

I began training with Body for Life September 2007, and around the 8th week, I tweaked meals and training for personal reasons. Things turned out pretty well...I lost almost 30 lbs of fat, dropped plenty of inches, and gained muscle in 12 weeks(newbie advantage. lol).

Last month, based on what I learned the first 12 weeks about my body and metabolism, I've completely changed my nutrition and training routine. So I'm eager to see the results. Depending on how things turn out, I may give STS a try around April. I hope to be at least 20% fat by then. *fingers crossed*

Your explanation of true progressive overload, and how it affects muscle growth and volume is great. Also, the concept behind STS routines makes a lot of sense. I like knowing why things do what they do. lol

However, I'm concerned about your supplementation suggestions, because I have certain restrictions. For instance, I've eliminated caffeine. A small amount, affects my mood, skin, and makes me itch. Allergy? It took awhile for me to kick the habit. Second, I've eliminated red meat and dairy. I obtain calcium from other foods(lactose intolerant), and utilize fish, egg whites, and poultry for protein. I feel best eating this way...more energy etc.

Lastly, my goal is to train as naturally as possible, so I choose not to use chemical enhancers or supplements such as creatine to assist with burning fat and muscle growth. When you've been obese for years...ya just gotta know how your body will respond on it's own. lol Currently I only use healthy fats(Udos), but since I eat a great deal of salmon, I may eliminate that in the future.

Cows Whey doesn't work with my digestive system, but I may add an egg white MRP(drink) with vitamin c in the near future, especially after weight training, but I haven't decided yet. So...do you think these restrictions will be a problem if I decide to give STS a try in the future? If it takes a bit longer without supplements that's fine. I've given myself a year to reach my goal. No rush!

Other than that, I'm open to any and all information on how to use chemicals "naturally" produced in the body to reach my goals. When I was close to 50% fat, sedentary, and eating mostly starchy carbs, I learned firsthand that hormones are no joke, and are very important to gaining and burning fat. I've been reading about this topic the last few weeks, and I have much to learn. Thanks, T

P.S. Sometimes I may not post messages for a few days, especially on the weekends, but I will definitely check back if you're not online now. T
    Last edited by misstransformer; 01-10-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Smile More Great Questions!!

Hey Ronnie - Sorry it took a few days for me to respond. I finally read all the pages. Thanks again for sharing this information, and the website link. I've added it to my saved bookmarks. Also, it was clear that what you've presented is a "basic foundation", with plenty of room for customization.

Just a little bit about me, I'm a mix of endo/meso(based on online tests), gain muscle and strength easily, but find cardio challenging. Originally I thought my metabolism was very slow, but I think it may be average. I just ate compulsively for years and was sedentary which is why I was obese.

I began training with Body for Life September 2007, and around the 8th week, I tweaked meals and training for personal reasons. Things turned out pretty well...I lost almost 30 lbs of fat, dropped plenty of inches, and gained muscle in 12 weeks(newbie advantage. lol).

Last month, based on what I learned the first 12 weeks about my body and metabolism, I've completely changed my nutrition and training routine. So I'm eager to see the results. Depending on how things turn out, I may give STS a try around April. I hope to be at least 20% fat by then. *fingers crossed*

Your explanation of true progressive overload, and how it affects muscle growth and volume is great. Also, the concept behind STS routines makes a lot of sense. I like knowing why things do what they do. lol

However, I'm concerned about your supplementation suggestions, because I have certain restrictions. For instance, I've eliminated caffeine. A small amount, affects my mood, skin, and makes me itch. Allergy? It took awhile for me to kick the habit. Second, I've eliminated red meat and dairy. I obtain calcium from other foods(lactose intolerant), and utilize fish, egg whites, and poultry for protein. I feel best eating this way...more energy etc.

Lastly, my goal is to train as naturally as possible, so I choose not to use chemical enhancers or supplements such as creatine to assist with burning fat and muscle growth. When you've been obese for years...ya just gotta know how your body will respond on it's own. lol Currently I only use healthy fats(Udos), but since I eat a great deal of salmon, I may eliminate that in the future.

Cows Whey doesn't work with my digestive system, but I may add an egg white MRP(drink) with vitamin c in the near future, especially after weight training, but I haven't decided yet. So...do you think these restrictions will be a problem if I decide to give STS a try in the future? If it takes a bit longer without supplements that's fine. I've given myself a year to reach my goal. No rush!

Other than that, I'm open to any and all information on how to use chemicals "naturally" produced in the body to reach my goals. When I was close to 50% fat, sedentary, and eating mostly starchy carbs, I learned firsthand that hormones are no joke, and are very important to gaining and burning fat. I've been reading about this topic the last few weeks, and I have much to learn. Thanks, T

P.S. Sometimes I may not post messages for a few days, especially on the weekends, but I will definitely check back if you're not online now. T
    misstransformer, I think you certainly have some mesomorph tendencies. I don't think I woud want to tangle with you...LOL..You look strong!

Okay, you have the option of following one of the STS cutting routines/diet plans before starting the off-season program. Here's a link to some STS blogs at ILL PUMP YOU UP.COM. http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Please take a look at Jordans and RoaringMadMacs journal. Jordan is in pre-contest mode and Mac is in pure fat burning mode. If you need futher help reaching below 20% you can do it fast using the STS cutting program. The diet and training will be different than the off-season training I have laid out on bodybuilding.com. I have to encourage several people to get their bodyfat down to a certain level before starting the off-season STS.

1) No supplements (like caffeine and creatine)are not needed. They are only used for gaining a slight edge. Food is always best!

2) You do not need dairy and red meat. A couple of whole omega 3 enriched eggs would work even better for your bodytype!

3) You do not have to use whey protein. Food is all you need. Even the post workout meal is not as important as people make it out to be. The pre-workout meal is very important!

I hope this helps!

RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Simply put I am definately a believer.
    http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/
    Illpumpyouup.com forum admin.

Wink

Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
    Simply put I am definately a believer.
    You will look and feel like a completely different person 12 months from now!

SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks so much for all your help. Everything you say make perfectly good sense, unlike a lot of what I have read on this and other board..I am going to continue picking your brain if thats alright because you obviously have the most hands on experience.. I read on ILL PUMP YOU UP.COM were you stated it's okay to go as much as 3 different exercises per body part once you reach an advanced training level .. Whats considered advanced and how could this be of benefit??

Exclamation Arm Pic Post Surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your help. Everything you say make perfectly good sense, unlike a lot of what I have read on this and other board..I am going to continue picking your brain if thats alright because you obviously have the most hands on experience.. I read on ILL PUMP YOU UP.COM were you stated it's okay to go as much as 3 different exercises per body part once you reach an advanced training level .. Whats considered advanced and how could this be of benefit??
    First I'd like to say there's a ton of great information on this board! I just wanted to make that clear. Yes, poor information is rampant as well but some of these things being argued back and forth make little to no difference in determining end results. My goal is to get people back to the basics and things that really work as opposed to following some of the hoop-la being promoted in the name of money!!!

Now on to your question. You do not need to hit a muscle group from a lot of different angles. All you really need is one KEY movement that produces a good stimulus to the bulk of the muscle and one SECONDARY movement that does a better job isolating and/or hitting the weaker regions of that muscle group. Also, a third exercise can be thrown in if desired when Slingshot Training but no one should get their expectations up thinking thats the big secret to getting lagging bodyparts to become as big as stronger body parts because its not! In fact, it will hinder progress a bit by decreasing neural adapations if extra sets are not added. Meaning you would have to do 3 sets during a prime, 12 sets during a blast and 8 sets during a cruise if 3 are utlilized.

If a muscle group is very responsive due to genetic factors, you will certainly improve muscular hypertrophy over time with Slingshot Training. If a muscle group is slow to respond, then about the only thing you can do about it is keep consistent and expect to make less gains in that region than strong points. Yes, adding a third exercise as an ADVANCED TRAINER can be helpful but no additional amount of work load will make lagging bodyparts grow like strong points. I have found Slingshot Periodization the absolute best way to max out one genetic potential as a bodybuilder but no routine will change your genetics. And there's plenty of silly ways to train that will not even get you close to your full genetic potential and darn near cripple you in the process!

My suggestion to everyone is to approach training in a simplistic and safe manner. There's no reason to be filled with doubts. Whether you want to use a different training split or use 3 different exercises for a bodypart is up to you but the splits I have suggested have worked best for the masses. The best thing you can do is not over analyze and just train consistently hard the right way and what ever can happen will happen in the long run. This will put you on the right track!

I'm against whacky routines!!!!!!!!!! To prove my point heres a link to my post surgery arm pic after having tore my bicep tendon clean off the bone experimenting with rest-pause/negative training because a few guys in the gym begged me to give it an 8 week trial run so I could provide them with an honest assesment. Well, here's the assesment they got!!! http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=323739
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 01-16-2008 at 10:15 AM.

SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SamIam3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    THAT ARM LOOKS PAINFUL!!!! No doubt these bodybuilding tecnhiques designed to allow the lifter to exercise beyond failure and stimulate recruitment of additional muscle fibers will most certainly lead to injury. Bodybuilding.com is lucky to have someone like you here to set things straight.

misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)
    misstransformer, I think you certainly have some mesomorph tendencies. I don't think I woud want to tangle with you...LOL..You look strong!

Okay, you have the option of following one of the STS cutting routines/diet plans before starting the off-season program. Here's a link to some STS blogs at ILL PUMP YOU UP.COM. http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Please take a look at Jordans and RoaringMadMacs journal. Jordan is in pre-contest mode and Mac is in pure fat burning mode. If you need futher help reaching below 20% you can do it fast using the STS cutting program. The diet and training will be different than the off-season training I have laid out on bodybuilding.com. I have to encourage several people to get their bodyfat down to a certain level before starting the off-season STS.

1) No supplements (like caffeine and creatine)are not needed. They are only used for gaining a slight edge. Food is always best!

2) You do not need dairy and red meat. A couple of whole omega 3 enriched eggs would work even better for your bodytype!

3) You do not have to use whey protein. Food is all you need. Even the post workout meal is not as important as people make it out to be. The pre-workout meal is very important!

I hope this helps!
    Hehehe...that's from carrying around 100 lbs of fat all these years. That's enough to make anyone strong. lol Thanks for answering my questions, and for all your support. I'm happy to read that supplements and certain foods are not required. Very good news! At the risk of looking silly, I don't think I've ever seen omega 3 enriched eggs. If they're sold in regular grocery stores, I may have just overlooked them. Thanks for telling me about them. Well, keep me in your prayers, so that I'll reach my goal this spring. It's not easy, but I must do this! I'll visit the journals you mentioned, and keep all of this in mind. I have a feeling, when I hit 20% fat things will become more challenging. Have a great afternoon Ronnie, and I hope that you have much success with your new book. I should reach my new goal by April or March. T

Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ronnie,
    I just wanted to post in your thread as an introduction and an update. I'm definitely ectomorph genetically, most of the men in my family are tall and skinny. I was a rower for 6 years through high school and college which perfectly suited my body type, but I gained a fair amount of muscle as well doing this and after I stopped rowing I decided to start weight lifting as a means to keep my muscular progression active.

I lifted moderately through the rest of college on and off, never really making any large gains. Last year I started going to the gym regularly, doing high weight/low rep training on a three day regiment, (Chest/tris), (Back/bis), (shoulders/legs). This was fairly effective as I gained a fair amount of muscle and when I incorporated cardio I lost a little fat.

My diet has always been that of a college student, beer, pizza, whatever. No good. but thankfully to my ectomorphic nature I havent gained much weight.

I started feeling unmotivated and unstructured, so I came to this sight looking for a program, I read yours and decided to commit. I started on Monday the 14th and so far have limited my diet to foods low on the GI scale and with my "cheats" on the mid GI scale. My nutritional breakdown is this, 1.25-1.5xlb for protein, 1.0xlb for carbs, and 0.6xlb for fats. So since I'm 185lbs, thats 231-277 g protein, 185g of carbs, and 111g of fat. I took these ratios from examples of mustangmike's diet. Does this seem like a good ratio? I've also made sure to severly reduce the types of carbs I get, staying away from the processed sugars and bleached pastas, breads, and rice. This is my first time watching what I eat so I just wanted to make sure that I was reducing my carbs and fat enough to make myself sensitive to insulin for the blast phase.

It was really hard to find the foods to substitute into my diet, but thankfully my girlfriend is a prof. ballerina and is all about the healthy eating lifestyle. She has been really dedicated in helping me acheive my dieting goals for this program.

I'm tracking my daily nutritional intake and workout progression via excel and have made graphical representations of the data to keep myself on track and to review the trends as they form. (yeah, i'm an engineer, its second nature) I've also taken pre-program photos in order to visually track my progress.

hopefully I can become another one of your shining examples.
    Last edited by Brrcats; 01-18-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Big Ron, why is it that strength gains don't always bring about more size gains??

Thumbs up

Hehehe...that's from carrying around 100 lbs of fat all these years. That's enough to make anyone strong. lol Thanks for answering my questions, and for all your support. I'm happy to read that supplements and certain foods are not required. Very good news! At the risk of looking silly, I don't think I've ever seen omega 3 enriched eggs. If they're sold in regular grocery stores, I may have just overlooked them. Thanks for telling me about them. Well, keep me in your prayers, so that I'll reach my goal this spring. It's not easy, but I must do this! I'll visit the journals you mentioned, and keep all of this in mind. I have a feeling, when I hit 20% fat things will become more challenging. Have a great afternoon Ronnie, and I hope that you have much success with your new book. I should reach my new goal by April or March. T
    misstransformer, the eggs I am making reference too are called "egglands best". You'll find them in the local grocery store.

If you reach a plateau there are things that can be done to help you move onward and upward. For instance carb cycling or a keto diet.

I can tell you are a very strong woman on both the inside and the outside. YOU GO GIRL!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brrcats View Post
    Ronnie,
    I just wanted to post in your thread as an introduction and an update. I'm definitely ectomorph genetically, most of the men in my family are tall and skinny. I was a rower for 6 years through high school and college which perfectly suited my body type, but I gained a fair amount of muscle as well doing this and after I stopped rowing I decided to start weight lifting as a means to keep my muscular progression active.

I lifted moderately through the rest of college on and off, never really making any large gains. Last year I started going to the gym regularly, doing high weight/low rep training on a three day regiment, (Chest/tris), (Back/bis), (shoulders/legs). This was fairly effective as I gained a fair amount of muscle and when I incorporated cardio I lost a little fat.

My diet has always been that of a college student, beer, pizza, whatever. No good. but thankfully to my ectomorphic nature I havent gained much weight.

I started feeling unmotivated and unstructured, so I came to this sight looking for a program, I read yours and decided to commit. I started on Monday the 14th and so far have limited my diet to foods low on the GI scale and with my "cheats" on the mid GI scale. My nutritional breakdown is this, 1.25-1.5xlb for protein, 1.0xlb for carbs, and 0.6xlb for fats. So since I'm 185lbs, thats 231-277 g protein, 185g of carbs, and 111g of fat. I took these ratios from examples of mustangmike's diet. Does this seem like a good ratio? I've also made sure to severly reduce the types of carbs I get, staying away from the processed sugars and bleached pastas, breads, and rice. This is my first time watching what I eat so I just wanted to make sure that I was reducing my carbs and fat enough to make myself sensitive to insulin for the blast phase.

It was really hard to find the foods to substitute into my diet, but thankfully my girlfriend is a prof. ballerina and is all about the healthy eating lifestyle. She has been really dedicated in helping me acheive my dieting goals for this program.

I'm tracking my daily nutritional intake and workout progression via excel and have made graphical representations of the data to keep myself on track and to review the trends as they form. (yeah, i'm an engineer, its second nature) I've also taken pre-program photos in order to visually track my progress.

hopefully I can become another one of your shining examples.
    Brrcats, you are right on track with your diet for the anabolic prime. It's harder for guys with your build to put on muscle size but you guys have awesome functional strength!

Look forward in tracking your progress.

oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Diet-questions

Hi!

I am about to embark on your program! It seems interesting, judging by hearsay it is excellent, and I must say the attitude you have shown and the help you have given to people on different forums is simply amazing!

I have a few questions on diet, mainly on the Prime.

Should i still have an post-workout drink with fast whey and carbs?

Also, I usually take EAA right before I workout, would that be considered fast anabolic or OK?

At the beginning of the Blast you say that one should cut down on protein. Could you tell me why? I have never heard that before...

Also, on the side, i guess the claim is that low GI during the prime will increase insulin sensitivity? As I understand it the clinical evidence that exists on this show that GI has no effect on insulin sensitivity given the same energy amount. (I give you links to the studies if you want to). Though lower energy intake has an effect so that might be what does the work. Will still try your method by the book, sometimes things work for other reasons than we expect them to, and your system seems to have been tried and developed close to actual practice.

Once again thanks for your generous sharing of your knowledge!

gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gs300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ronnie,

I am wanting to drop bf, how will this slingshot program work for me? I am a endo, 5'7, 172,24%bf. Do you help people setup their diets? My current supplements are creatine mono, Xtend bcaa's, whey protein. I am wanting to do a cutting cycle to drop the bf and then do lean mass after the cut.

Thanks

Thumbs up Good luck!

Originally Posted by oligark View Post
    Hi!

I am about to embark on your program! It seems interesting, judging by hearsay it is excellent, and I must say the attitude you have shown and the help you have given to people on different forums is simply amazing!

I have a few questions on diet, mainly on the Prime.

Should i still have an post-workout drink with fast whey and carbs?

Also, I usually take EAA right before I workout, would that be considered fast anabolic or OK?

At the beginning of the Blast you say that one should cut down on protein. Could you tell me why? I have never heard that before...

Also, on the side, i guess the claim is that low GI during the prime will increase insulin sensitivity? As I understand it the clinical evidence that exists on this show that GI has no effect on insulin sensitivity given the same energy amount. (I give you links to the studies if you want to). Though lower energy intake has an effect so that might be what does the work. Will still try your method by the book, sometimes things work for other reasons than we expect them to, and your system seems to have been tried and developed close to actual practice.

Once again thanks for your generous sharing of your knowledge!
    oligark, thank you for the compliments and your patience. I've been slammed with new clients. It's that time of the year!

1) You do not need a post wokrout shake during the prime.

2) Drop the Essential amino acids (EAA) before the workout during the prime.

3) The logic behind SLINGSHOT PROTEIN CYCLING is as you enter the mass phase (blast), you will drastically drop your protein intake for 3 days. Eastern block athletes often cycle their training with periods of low protein like this for 3-7 days. When normal amounts of protein are added back to the diet, greater protein synthesis is achieved, always followed by muscular development. You can not do it too often or the body will catch on and maintain homeostasis. Depleting protein the first 3 days upon entering the blasting phase works in a similar fashion as a 3 day carb loading wen entering a bodybuilding competition. Your trying to trick the body into holding onto more protein than usual.

4) Lower GI and/or weight loss increases insulin sensitivity. It takes more than just low gi carbs if you are over weight. The studies you read were correct!!!

WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WvrDuDe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Started working out August 2007, have been doing bs first 3 months, then started reading and out of all the articles and programs I've looked at, STS sounds the most promising bodybuilding routine, and I intend to follow it, but started with Rippetoes' Starting Strenght around the end of December, to gain some strenght first.

Right now I am 5'9" , 165lbs, right now my work sets on those lifts(3x5, 3 mins rest between sets) are:

Squats: 3x5x70kg~155lbs (my goal is 3x5x102kg~225lbs)
    Deadlifts: 3x5x95kg~210lbs (goal is 3x5x122kg~270lbs)
    Pendlay Rows: 3x5x64kg~140lbs (goal is 3x5x82kg~180lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5x62kg~135lbs (goal is 3x5x82k~180lbs)
    Military Press: 3x5x46kg~100lbs (goal is 3x5x62kg~135lbs)

My question is : With my current strenght level, do you think I should train some more on Starting Strenght(till I reach my goals), or I am already advanced enough, so to say, as to start following STS. Goal is mass only, I don't care about strenght for now, cuz I wanna put some muscle before beach time rolls in

Another option I am considering is to start STS with 3 day split, and when I finish my first cycle, to start next with 4 day split.

Thank you for your time.

misstransformer, the eggs I am making reference too are called "egglands best". You'll find them in the local grocery store.

If you reach a plateau there are things that can be done to help you move onward and upward. For instance carb cycling or a keto diet.

I can tell you are a very strong woman on both the inside and the outside. YOU GO GIRL!
    Hey, I've seen eggland's best. I probably just overlooked them. Thanks again Ronnie for your patience and kindness. T

RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoaringMad Mac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use eggland's best. They are great sourse of rich omega fats.

I also us eggbeaters to add a little volume to my egg whites.
    http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/
    Illpumpyouup.com forum admin.

Exclamation 3 day split!

Originally Posted by WvrDuDe View Post
    Started working out August 2007, have been doing bs first 3 months, then started reading and out of all the articles and programs I've looked at, STS sounds the most promising bodybuilding routine, and I intend to follow it, but started with Rippetoes' Starting Strenght around the end of December, to gain some strenght first.

Right now I am 5'9" , 165lbs, right now my work sets on those lifts(3x5, 3 mins rest between sets) are:

Squats: 3x5x70kg~155lbs (my goal is 3x5x102kg~225lbs)
    Deadlifts: 3x5x95kg~210lbs (goal is 3x5x122kg~270lbs)
    Pendlay Rows: 3x5x64kg~140lbs (goal is 3x5x82kg~180lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5x62kg~135lbs (goal is 3x5x82k~180lbs)
    Military Press: 3x5x46kg~100lbs (goal is 3x5x62kg~135lbs)

My question is : With my current strenght level, do you think I should train some more on Starting Strenght(till I reach my goals), or I am already advanced enough, so to say, as to start following STS. Goal is mass only, I don't care about strenght for now, cuz I wanna put some muscle before beach time rolls in

Another option I am considering is to start STS with 3 day split, and when I finish my first cycle, to start next with 4 day split.

Thank you for your time.
    You are ready to start Slingshot Training now! The 3 day per week split I have up on this board was designed for beginners. I need to post the 3 day split for those past 3 months of training.

Wink

Big Ron, why is it that strength gains don't always bring about more size gains??

It's cns output and getting better at using a limited amount of fibers!

I can assure no one can keep getting stronger forever. Volume and frequency are also forms of overload. Slingshot Training takes advantage of all 3 (Stregnth, Frequency and Volume). You can only gain so much strength! Eventually you plateau, but you can always add some more volume or change frequency..

Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

about to start the blast

Ronnie,
    I'm about to start the blast phase (monday). and I wanted to be sure I understood the diet since sometimes I dont comprehend some of the lingo or intonation over the internet. So this is basically what I got.

meal 1: this is an insulin spike meal. carbs>fat and include some hi-GI carbs in order to get the affect, but dont overdo it. Also the saturated fat should come from protein sources.

meal 2,3,4: should be similar to the prime phase except I need to increase the healthy fat intake to my carb intake.

meal 5:the 2nd insulin spike meal (for after the workout) with the same guidlines as the first

meal 6:small meal where fats>carbs and I need low GI carbs, not Hi GI carbs for this meal

I'm pretty sure I understand it, I just wanted to double check that and be sure I had the right idea.

I have an actual question too. I've spent the workouts of my prime phase lifting to my 12-15 reps making sure I get to the point of failure on my next rep, It took a little adjusting to the higher reps to know what weight to use, but I know what weights I should be using now. However during the blast phase in what instances should I start increasing the weight used? I dont want to sell myself short mid-way through if I can start increasing the weight.

Thanks,
    Brrcats

Oh, and I'll link to a progress update, photo-wise and if I can find a way to post my graphical nutritional intake I"ll do that too.
    Last edited by Brrcats; 01-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.

gforce100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gforce100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Switching exercises

Ronie,

Just finished reading about STS and it's a routine I'm going to employ in an effort to gain strength and size.

I was wondering though, how often should you change the exercises you do for each muscle group?

Should we stick to the same exercises for the entire program or switch it up between phases? or even switch it up within each phase?

Originally Posted by gforce100 View Post
    Ronie,

Just finished reading about STS and it's a routine I'm going to employ in an effort to gain strength and size.

I was wondering though, how often should you change the exercises you do for each muscle group?

Should we stick to the same exercises for the entire program or switch it up between phases? or even switch it up within each phase?
    i'm pretty sure you need to stick with the same excersice through the program. the repetition is part of the key. as for changing them for each time you do the program, I'll leave that to ronnie.

Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I need to post the 3 day split for those past 3 months of training.
    That would be awesome.

Smile

I plan to answer everyones questions tommorrow. Once again I am sorry for my absense. It gets like this at the start of each year because eveyone wants to get in shape. I'm only training 3 days a week myself but getting ripped up nicely from not having time to eat as many carbs-fats.

I am making Sunday's my official day for catching up on the boards!

Originally Posted by Brrcats View Post
    Ronnie,
    I'm about to start the blast phase (monday). and I wanted to be sure I understood the diet since sometimes I dont comprehend some of the lingo or intonation over the internet. So this is basically what I got.

meal 1: this is an insulin spike meal. carbs>fat and include some hi-GI carbs in order to get the affect, but dont overdo it. Also the saturated fat should come from protein sources.

meal 2,3,4: should be similar to the prime phase except I need to increase the healthy fat intake to my carb intake.

meal 5:the 2nd insulin spike meal (for after the workout) with the same guidlines as the first

meal 6:small meal where fats>carbs and I need low GI carbs, not Hi GI carbs for this meal

I'm pretty sure I understand it, I just wanted to double check that and be sure I had the right idea.

I have an actual question too. I've spent the workouts of my prime phase lifting to my 12-15 reps making sure I get to the point of failure on my next rep, It took a little adjusting to the higher reps to know what weight to use, but I know what weights I should be using now. However during the blast phase in what instances should I start increasing the weight used? I dont want to sell myself short mid-way through if I can start increasing the weight.

Thanks,
    Brrcats

Oh, and I'll link to a progress update, photo-wise and if I can find a way to post my graphical nutritional intake I"ll do that too.
    Sounds like you have it down to a T!

You'll have to play it by ear in terms of when and how much weight to add. Strength gains are never linear- meaning they occur in spurts! Eveyone gains at a different rate of speed. It's good practice to wait until you can get near the upper range in each designated rep-scheme before adding weight.

For instance, during your heavy set (4-6 reps) to be performed during the second set, you would not want to add weight the following training session until you could rep out at least 5-6 good ones in the current session.

All in all, it's okay to try and add small amounts of weight each training session to try and stay in the lower rep-ranges of each each designated rep-scheme if desired or just work your way up the ladder and add weight after you have reached the upper limits.