pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I can't overhead squat ?!?

I am having a lot of trouble overhead squatting. I see people in vids online doing bodyweight for 10+ reps. I am wondering if there is any trick to it?
    I cant get down far enough to call it a squat with 95 lbs. My a2g squat 1rm is over 300.

I just go down and then i get stuck and cant go down anymore or else ill fall over.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have to have the bar locked out i.e. arms internally rotated while overhead. Some need a wider grip than others to accomplish this. If you are holding the weight like the top of a military press, you'll bail.

Once you have the bar overhead, think about pulling it apart, rotate your arms until the crooks of your elbows are facing forward. Try with a broomstick first, then an empty bar.
    Last edited by J.L.C.; 09-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.

PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PanamaMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmm

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can only do them with my heels elevated
    I don't know either lol

yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yabbayabba has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't matter if you squat over 500 the regular way, you aren't going to get 95 your first time out. OH squat isn't like back squat where you can have crappy technique and still push a lot of weight. I back squatted 320 for five today and I still can't get more then a couple reps with an empty bar. Even a broomstick is a bit of a problem for me because I always want to drop the weight in front of me.

I'm going to have to try JLC's suggestion the next time it comes up in CrossFit.

KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10) KnjazVovk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    You have to have the bar locked out i.e. arms internally rotated while overhead. Some need a wider grip than others to accomplish this. If you are holding the weight like the top of a military press, you'll bail.

Once you have the bar overhead, think about pulling it apart, rotate your arms until the crooks of your elbows are facing forward. Try with a broomstick first, then an empty bar.

For the short time I did OH Squats I had a similar problem until I learned to the grip the actual bar better - somehow it improved my leg action.