Thread: Low Carb Diet

Browneyes* has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Low Carb Diet

Hi everyone, what are your thoughts about low carb diet - I actually have a friend who lost alot of weight and looks amazing on a no carb diet and she is also a vegetarian - Which is better??? What are your thoughts about this diet???

SWATgirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Low carb diets are an unhealthy way to lose weight. When you drastically reduce your carbs the first thing your body does is release water. That's why you experience that quick drop in pounds- it's mostly water weight. Another drawback to low-carb diets is that your body will burn protein for fuel. You will lose some fat but you will lose equal amounts of muscle! You don't want to lose muscle, because muscle is great for increasing your metabolism. Restricting your carbs can cause you to have less energy and more headaches. It's very hard to stick to those diets because your body will start sending you cravings that you just can't resist.

A better idea is to look at the TYPES of carbohydrates you are consuming. The glycemic index (GI) is a good tool to use to choose the best carbs. Fast digesting carbs are high on the GI and will impact your body in a less preferable way: they cause a quick rise in blood sugar, which will cause signal your body to store fat. So limit your intake of these specific carbs which include sugar, white bread, potatoes, but be sure to include low GI carbs like most fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, and sweet potatoes. You can even enjoy spaghetti as long as it's al dente.

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SWATgirl View Post
    Low carb diets are an unhealthy way to lose weight. When you drastically reduce your carbs the first thing your body does is release water. That's why you experience that quick drop in pounds- it's mostly water weight. Another drawback to low-carb diets is that your body will burn protein for fuel. You will lose some fat but you will lose equal amounts of muscle! You don't want to lose muscle, because muscle is great for increasing your metabolism. Restricting your carbs can cause you to have less energy and more headaches. It's very hard to stick to those diets because your body will start sending you cravings that you just can't resist.

A better idea is to look at the TYPES of carbohydrates you are consuming. The glycemic index (GI) is a good tool to use to choose the best carbs. Fast digesting carbs are high on the GI and will impact your body in a less preferable way: they cause a quick rise in blood sugar, which will cause signal your body to store fat. So limit your intake of these specific carbs which include sugar, white bread, potatoes, but be sure to include low GI carbs like most fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, and sweet potatoes. You can even enjoy spaghetti as long as it's al dente.
    agreed. OP why not look into carb cycling instead. Another reason to avoid "no carb" is the fact that your body needs carbs before and after your weights workouts.
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SWATgirl View Post

That's partially true. Your initial weight loss on keto (which is high fat, moderate protein--not really the same as Atkins or South Beach) is water and glycogen. It shouldn't be confused with body fat.

However, muscle catabolism is one of the biggest myths surrounding a 'no carb' diet. I have gained 5 lbs LBM and lost 3.7% body fat on keto, so I'm obviously not losing muscle. Here's why:
    When you stop eating carbohydrates, your blood sugar falls, and glucagon signals the release of glycogen from the muscles. It also stimulates the breakdown of triglycerides so the fatty acids and glycerol can be utilized for energy.
    When glycogen levels are depleted, fatty acids are converted to ketones, which are used readily by skeletal muscle, and supply about 20-30% of the brain's energy needs. Glycerol is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. Glucose supplies the rest of the brain's energy needs.
    Gluconeogenesis can also convert some amino acids to glucose. Non-glucogenic amino acids are converted to ketones instead. Thus, glucose levels are never depleted in the body; nor are insulin or ketones. In fact, once you are fully expressing genes for ketone formation (which takes several days, and that's why you're groggy during that time) you'll be producing an excess of ketones, which are excreted if unneeded. (Sometimes they show up on ketostix, but usually they don't if you're very well hydrated).
    You won't catabolize skeletal muscle unless you're at a loss for amino acids, which you won't be, because you'll be eating 1-1.5 g of protein for lb of body mass. Muscle catabolism is a consequence of cutting protein and/or calories too low, not cutting out carbohydrates.
    You should know that, if you are diabetic, ketoacidosis can occur because diabetics blood chemistry is not regulated like a non-diabetic. You should monitor your ketone levels more closely, but you can still do keto. If you aren't diabetic, you have nothing to worry about, because you flush excess ketones naturally; they won't 'change your pH'.
    Ketosis is not a dangerous state, it's just an alternative one. There is a LOT of information in the link located in my signature. I hope this helps.

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ozigal View Post
    agreed. OP why not look into carb cycling instead. Another reason to avoid "no carb" is the fact that your body needs carbs before and after your weights workouts.
    On keto, you do take a simple carbohydrate (if you want, it can be complex) with whey protein post WO. Most people take 15g of dextrose and their desired amount of protein.
    Keep in mind that calories, not carbohydrates, provide energy. Carbohydrates spike blood sugar and supply energy, because they have calories, but protein also elicits an insulogenic response; that's just part of digestion.
    We also have weekly or bi-weekly carb ups on keto wherein the individual carb-loads for 1-2 days, keeping fats low and carbohydrates high with moderate protein. This would be more 'traditional'. It refills glycogen stores and helps reduce the fall in leptin levels associated with cutting calories.
    TKD is a type of keto diet wherein the individual takes in a moderate amount of carbohydrates (50 g, for instance) directly before and after the workout.

Edit: Here is a great article I have used in the past; it's about CKD ('keto').
    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm
    Last edited by gfundaro; 09-19-2007 at 06:04 PM.

xocheerbabe9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xocheerbabe9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Browneyes* View Post
    Hi everyone, what are your thoughts about low carb diet - I actually have a friend who lost alot of weight and looks amazing on a no carb diet and she is also a vegetarian - Which is better??? What are your thoughts about this diet???
    Hi Browneyes! I actually used to be a vegetarian for years. When I changed my fitness goals I personally felt I had to change my diet. The upside of being a vegetarian fitness wise for me was, I didn't get that little "energy decline" when my body was digesting like I do with animal protein. Also, I did my homework on fibrous and non-fibrous carb veggies and had a nice intake of a colorful diet. I liked that most, (NOT ALL) veggie meat substitutes had high protein with low carbs. A lot of them pack some serious calories though.I tried for a long time to stay without taking in animal protein, but I wasn't happy with my results. Do what makes you happy, but for me it worked best supplementing with animal protein here and there. hope that helps!!
    Get better every day. Day in and day out. Become the best version of you.