snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

questions about the casein type of protein

I understand that "whey" protein increases protein synthesis to a very high degree (higher than "casein" protein), and this is why you are supposed to have whey protein immediately after a workout.

I also have read that casein is much more important in preventing muscle breakdown. In general, it seems that casein protein give you a slow and sustained release of amino acids which acts as a timed-release trickle of amino acids into the bloodstream which can last for as many as 7 full hours after ingestion. As I understand it, casein forms a "gel" in the gut, which is what provides a steady release of amino acids into the blood stream, which makes it an excellent choice for a long lasting anti-catabolic protein.

So, now I understand why everyone who knows anything about fitness and diet always recommend eating cottage cheese before bed.

Cottage cheese is loaded with casein. I am not sure what other foods have it, but I think yogurt and milk and ricotta cheese also have it, but I am not sure of the quantities or purity. Can anyone help me out here?

Does anyone know the breakdown of how much casein is in these different dairy products? For example, does cottage cheese have slightly more or way more casein than milk? I know a lot of people hate cottage cheese, and even though I have learned to eat it, it has to be mixed with something like yogurt or whey protein or sugar-free, fat-free pudding mix.

Any opinions on eating casein/cc during the day, or is it best to just have it before bed?

I am doing Body for Life and for the first 11 weeks I have been eating a fat-free cottage cheese/yogurt mix for my second meal of the day. Now I am starting to make my 6th meal based on cottage cheese, but I wonder whether I can/should still keep my 2nd meal cottage cheese-based.

Any ideas? Opinions? Other ways to get casein (I understand that the casein-based protein powder is very expensive and I would rather get it from whole food if possible). By the way, i hear that casein is very low in lactose.

R's don't exist in Boston Lovespell's Avatar
    Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump! asking what was also on my mind and perfectly worded and everything. i'd love to find out this as well! thanks guys
    Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking;
    If you cheat, may it death.
    If you steal, may it be a heart.
    If you fight, may it be for a friend.
    And if if you drink, may it be with me.

nighthawk209 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I typed casein protien on google and found these two articles.

Casein is the predominant protein in milk. For example, the protein in cheese and cottage cheese is casein. Sometimes it's shown on the label as caseinate or micellar casein. Milk (casein) is a slow digesting protein that keeps you full longer. Casein also has a naturally high glutamine content, higher than whey, egg or soy. It is one of the best proteins for building muscle. And casein is very low in lactose.

What is it?

Casein protein is a milk protein extract recognized for its excellent amino acid profile, slow digestion, and interesting peptides (casomorphins, casokinins, casoxins, etc).

What does it do?

Casein protein, like other protein sources, provides a rich amino acid supply to the body. Current data suggest that exercise can increase protein needs and that increased protein intakes can improve the response to exercise training. Casein protein is slowly digested and this property of casein makes it optimal for consuming during the day as a snack in the form of dairy products or as a protein shake. Since casein slowly enters the blood stream, it has a negligible impact on protein synthesis. However, casein does have a powerful effect in suppressing protein breakdown. This may promote a better protein status over time.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Milk is a bout 80% Casein and 20% whey, and since most of cottage cheese is made up of milk and other ingrediants like vinegar (hence the salt in it) there isnt much of a difference.. and yes yogurt is another good source of casein..

casein powders are also very effective to have before bed also

pairing this with a fat source will hold this in ur digestive system for quite some time to keep the body out of a catabolic state

but in all fairness.. it would be ideal to get as much variety in ur diet as possible

if you want to have it as another meal then go for it.. thats like asking if its ok to have chicken in 2 meals in the day.. its a lean protein source sure go for it

its not going to hurt you.. its just another protein source

so have it for ur 2nd meal but if youc an go for variety there is a ton of great options out there

Chicken
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Turkey
    Beef
    Cottage Cheese
    Whey Protein
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Buffalo
    Steak(sirlion)
    Milk