Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Well...it happened earlier then expected

My 15 year old sophmore son is starting on Varsity

He didn't expect this to happen until the following year as he was just supposed to be playing special teams and give the starter a blow every now and then.

But the starter got hurt and is out for the season. The coaches still didn't want to start a sophmore so they tried running the junior fullback both ways at FB and LB and he got hurt as well.

Starts this upcoming friday....he is nervous as heck but excited to.

He got some really good experience this past week.

- The game was tied with 2 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter
    - The starter gets hurt while blocking at FB on offense
    - He goes in....draws a coverage assignment (had to cover a receiver and blanketed him....the QB was going to throw that way but brings the ball down as he sees he cant get it there...gets sacked
    - They punt the ball...our offense goes on the field
    - Offense drives the ball with less then a minute to go in the game....running back FUMBLES THE BALL
    - Our defense goes on the field...they complete a long pass (to the other side of the field) and get to the 10 yard line
    - Ball is snapped....once again my son draws a coverage assignment against a reciever...covers well.....the qb was going to throw that way sees its covered and runs with the ball. He gets met at the one by the middle linebacker who stops him....they dont blow the whistle...my son cleans him out with a pretty good hit.

Refs call it a touchdown..... But wow...top about getting put in the pressure cooker on his FIRST plays as a varsity player.

windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10) windofchange is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    happend to me in wrestling last year, but as a freshman

congrats to ur kid
    *-*Brothers Of Iron*-*

Our drinking team has a wrestling problem

I always rep back

Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Same thing is happening to me except I'm a junior, a starter tore his meniscus during the last game. Sucks that I'm really undersized for a lineman.

Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Leenad View Post
    Same thing is happening to me except I'm a junior, a starter tore his meniscus during the last game. Sucks that I'm really undersized for a lineman.
    But it is a great opportunity for you....make the most of it!

My son isn't undersized for his linebacker spot (5' 11" 185 pounds) but you cannot make up for the age gap as he will be playing against starting seniors.

I think it is great....he gets experience this year and next year....look out!

zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zigz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great job by your son, tell him to kick some varsity ass
    legalize

TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TNLB38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My very first varsity start (preseason) i'm in same spot your son is except the senior hasnt gone down. I got the living hell knock out of me on a crack play talking about top of my head hit ground first talk about welcome to varsity lol but nothing to it dont get nervous no reason to just play ball and do your assignments is all the advise you can give.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    good luck... but with all the help you have been giving him... he should do very well...

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    glad to hear that hes getting playing time, sucks to hear you guys lost and that hes getting the time because of major injuries.

this just goes to show you what was once one of the matras of my mentor and coach, and now one of the things i always live my life by. "you never know whats going to happen, and youre only as good as your last day. be prepared for anything that might come your way." he related it in the sense of the guy in front of you might get hurt, but also in life in that don't bank on sports or good looks to take you all the way. if youre in a car crash and get mangled, or you blow out your knee, what will you have left?

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD STUDY YOUR PLAYBOOK AND ALWAYS GIVE 100% IN EVERYTHING YOU DO. you never know when your number will be called to step up to the plate and perform, because it can end just as quickly as it started.

You know Teri for years he has been pushing himself harder then other kids his age because he always wanted to be a starter and one of the crunchtime guys.......and of course I always wanted that to because I wanted him to succeed......

But I have to admit....I really thought this would be a "throttle back" year for him.....he is one of only 3 sophmores on the Varsity squad and out of those he is the only one starting now (one of them is the backup lb on the other side and the other splits carries at RB and kick returner) Almost every other starting player is a senior.

I really dont know how to feel about this the moment. Yeah he is a good player and maybe even good enough to go play somewhere beyond high school, and he didn't have much time to think about it in the final ticks of the last game he just went out and played.

But this week he knows from practice 1 that he is the starter.....we play a tough team this upcoming friday and he has no problems telling me how nervous he is about it. Its hard to explain.....its thrilling because this was a goal of his but a little crazy. All of the kids he played with in past years are on the Junior Varsity or Freshman teams and he is like a upper classmen to them (even though he really isn't)

He looks to me for advice in times like this and I am in uncharted territory. I totally stay away from the "X's and O's" as he has coaches for that and just try to talk to him on a mental standpoint level....

"Dont think about any of it.....just go out and play the game. Have fun"

And of course I dont tell him that at least 2 times this week I have gone down to our church and said a prayer for him with our Pastor (a big time football fan) not to get injured.

Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leenad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cowart69 View Post
    But it is a great opportunity for you....make the most of it!

My son isn't undersized for his linebacker spot (5' 11" 185 pounds) but you cannot make up for the age gap as he will be playing against starting seniors.

I think it is great....he gets experience this year and next year....look out!
    Yeah, I know.. I really have to step up to the plate. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about this. The only thing I'm worried about is getting injured, anything else, it's just a game! + I get to smack some kids.

Lee,

Dont worry about getting injured....that is what the people who care about you are for.....

Just go out and play the game....invision what you want to happen and make it happen.