Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

kvh4fan's on the road to muscle madness journal

Well, I'm new here! I'm 19 and I've been eating healthy and exercising regularly since January 2004. In December 2003, my weight was at it's highest: 173lbs. My body fat was somewhere around 26% or so.

I am now currently 140-ish lbs with a body fat % of 22 and BMI of 21 (last checked these in Demember, so they may be innacurate... in process of purchasing bf% machine).

I'm also 5'8".

I'm looking to build more muscle. I recently began adding protein to all my meals. I have a hard time with protein. Up until a couple days ago, my main protein source was chicken which I always have for dinner. I've now began having egg whites and protein shakes.

I workout 45-60 minutes 5x a week. I'm currently looking to make a new routine for myself. I made a post about that here earlier today.

I'm not looking to compete. I'm looking to just gain muscle, lose fat, be healthy and happy with myself. My goal is to be 135lbs with a bf% of around 18% or so.

Problem areas for me are my thighs and lower belly.

Not sure what else to write. Hopefully you guys will have some words of wisdom. Thanks!

Oh and here is me (attached)
    Attached Images

kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvh4fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

04/28 Workout

Weight Training - Arms/Shoulders
    Lateral Raise
    - 12 reps @ 30lbs
    - 12 reps @ 25lbs
    - 8 reps @ 30lbs
    - 10 reps @ 20lbs (left arm only)
    - 12 reps @ 20 lbs (right arm only)

Tricep Extension
    - 15 reps @ 30lbs
    - 10 reps @ 35lbs
    - 10 reps @ 35lbs
    - 10 reps @ 25lbs (left arm only)
    - 12 reps @ 25lbs (right arm only)

Arm Curl
    - 10 reps @ 30lbs
    - 10 reps @ 30lbs
    - 10 reps @ 25lbs
    - 10 reps @ 15lbs (left arm only)
    - 10 reps @ 15lbs (left arm only)

Seated Dip
    - 20 reps @ 50lbs
    - 17 reps @ 50lbs
    - 8 reps @ 50lbs
    - 12 reps @ 35lbs

Bicep Curl
    - 10 reps @ 30lbs
    - 12 reps @ 25lbs
    - 12 reps @ 20lbs (left arm only)
    - 10 reps @ 20lbs (right arm only)

Cardio
    - 15 minutes cycling - 98c
    - 22 minutes treadmill - (walking on inclines between 3.8mph-4.6mph on 3.5-12.0 incline)

Total Calories Burned: 265c

Feedback please???

Am I doing too many reps????

Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I definately don't think you're doing too many reps, keep your reps up at like 12-15 with 3 to 4 sets, that's where you'll probably see your best results!
    See my favorite female competitor at www.adelagf.com

Originally Posted by Logue
    I definately don't think you're doing too many reps, keep your reps up at like 12-15 with 3 to 4 sets, that's where you'll probably see your best results!
    Thanks! I was browsing journals of other member's and I see some people usually do 3 sets of 8.

Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Logue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how come you do shoulders and arms on the same day? You may want to try to split the two of those days up...you might see better results that way. And for shoulders, you may want to try to add a few different exercises besides lateral raises...front raises, overhead presses, reverse flyes, just to name a few.
    have you seen good results from what you've been doing? I mean, your pics show an obvious change, don't get me wrong, but are you seeing what you want from your workouts?

Obviously different things work for different people, but I saw my best cuts come when I was doing 3 to 4 sets of 12-15 reps...that was what my trainer had me set up on, and I think you should give it a whirl and see what you think...

how come you do shoulders and arms on the same day? You may want to try to split the two of those days up...you might see better results that way. And for shoulders, you may want to try to add a few different exercises besides lateral raises...front raises, overhead presses, reverse flyes, just to name a few.
    have you seen good results from what you've been doing? I mean, your pics show an obvious change, don't get me wrong, but are you seeing what you want from your workouts?
    I've seen results... but not what I've wanted. Basically because 8 months of out the year I rush through my weight training before classes. I only have 45 minutes at the gym so I do limited weights and cardio. Since summer is starting up, I plan on spending alot more time with weights and making a new routine.

Miamituscani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miamituscani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miamituscani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miamituscani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miamituscani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great progress, happy to see that you started a journal. I agree with the other ladies, to many reps. I am a big time newbie, but today I lower my reps and upped the weights and really felt a difference in my work.

This is also information from my trainer...but he competed for years, so he knows, I think:
    Try to keep your workouts (weights, I mean) to no more than 45 minutes. That in itself is a cardio workout. Keep your rest time to about 30 seconds in between each set, this keeps the heartrate up. Take your pulse and be sure that you're training in your target heartrate zone...This will also help you not have to do as much cardio, if that makes sense. And also, check into some of the other journals that highlight hitt....it's a great way to do cardio and you burn more fat doing this. Believe me, I've learned the hard way about it...doing cardio for hours versus doing cardio hiit...it is so much better to do the latter. It's not necessary to spend hours and hours in the gym to get a good workout in!! (which is good news with summer coming around huh?)

This is also information from my trainer...but he competed for years, so he knows, I think:
    Try to keep your workouts (weights, I mean) to no more than 45 minutes. That in itself is a cardio workout. Keep your rest time to about 30 seconds in between each set, this keeps the heartrate up. Take your pulse and be sure that you're training in your target heartrate zone...This will also help you not have to do as much cardio, if that makes sense. And also, check into some of the other journals that highlight hitt....it's a great way to do cardio and you burn more fat doing this. Believe me, I've learned the hard way about it...doing cardio for hours versus doing cardio hiit...it is so much better to do the latter. It's not necessary to spend hours and hours in the gym to get a good workout in!! (which is good news with summer coming around huh?)
    Thanks for your kind words! I've done HITT before. Then I starting hearing bad things about it and how it's deceiving and doesn't really do much so I stopped doing it.

Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Massive D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great progress Hun ! Your looking Ab-solutely great !

MD

04/29

Meal 1
    - 6 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake (17g protein)

Meal 2
    - 1/2c oats with 1 tbs Natty PB, 1 tbs unflavored protein (4g protein), cinnamon and almonds
    - 1 banana

Meal 3
    - 1c strawberries
    - 6 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake (17g protein)

Meal 4
    - 1 crab cake with lemon
    - Corn, spinach and mashed potatoes

Meal 5
    - Not sure

Meal 6
    - 2 egg whites and one yolk scrambled with 2 tsp salsa and 1 slice American cheese
    - Something else?

Cardio
    - 20 minutes stairmill - 1.11m, 116c, 53 floors
    - 5 minutes rowing - 49c
    - 10 minutes stair stepper - .91m, 84c, 43 floors
    - 10 minutes treadmill - .62m, 69c

Hey girl...looks like you're on a good track for your diet....congratulations on that, that's one of the hardest things for some people to get down pat, and stick with! Hope you're having a wonderful Friday...and have a great weekend!!!
    ~Logue

Weight Training - Legs/Glutes/Hips
    Hip Abductor
    - 14 reps @ 75lbs
    - 14 reps @ 75lbs- 14 reps @ 75lbs

Hip Adductor
    - 15 reps @ 80lbs
    - 20 reps @ 90lbs
    - 15 reps @ 100lbs

Seated Leg Press
    - 15 reps @ 135lbs
    - 10 reps @ 135lbs
    - 8 reps @ 115lbs

Leg Extension
    - 12 reps @ 65lbs
    - 12 reps @ 65lbs
    - 8 reps @ 75lbs
    - 8 reps @ 75lbs

Leg Curl
    - 10 reps @ 40lbs
    - 8 reps @ 50lbs
    - 10 reps @ 40lbs

Lunges
    - 3 sets of 12 lunges with a 10lb weight in each hand

Squats
    - 2 sets of 12 with a 15lb dumbell

Cardio
    - 20 minutes cycling

Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll get better results on your legs doing compound lifts. Heavy squats, stiff legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, and lunges. Those three exercises will hit everything on the leg. You shouldn't be able to do cardio after training legs either. If you can, you didn't lift with enough intensity. Increase your weights next go round, you won't get bulky lifting heavy.

You should eat more protein, too. I know you say that you have a hard time keeping it down, so try to incorporate it in your meals somehow.

You've made great progress so far, keep it up!

Originally Posted by WannaBeModel
    You'll get better results on your legs doing compound lifts. Heavy squats, stiff legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, and lunges. Those three exercises will hit everything on the leg. You shouldn't be able to do cardio after training legs either. If you can, you didn't lift with enough intensity. Increase your weights next go round, you won't get bulky lifting heavy.

You should eat more protein, too. I know you say that you have a hard time keeping it down, so try to incorporate it in your meals somehow.

You've made great progress so far, keep it up!
    I just bought some cottage cheese today! Now i need to figure out how to use it. I plan on using it alot once I figure it out!

I didn't eat enough yesterday... was out for alot of the day... or sleeping =/ Anywho, I did manage to get protein in every meal!!

Meal 1 (7:00am)
    - 6 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake

Meal 2 (9:30am)
    - 4 scrambled egg whites with 1 slice of sharp cheese, 2 tsp mild salsa
    - 1 slice of ww toast with 1 tsp Natty PB

Meal 3 (1:45pm)
    - 1 crab cake with a slice of lemon
    - corn and spinach

Meal 4 (5:00pm)
    - 6 oz Chocolate PB protein shake

Meal 5 (7:30pm)
    - 3 roasted mini potatoes
    - 2 cups of ww pasta mixed with 1/3c cottage cheese

VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kvh4fan
    I just bought some cottage cheese today! Now i need to figure out how to use it. I plan on using it alot once I figure it out!
    Uh..measure it out and eat it?

Originally Posted by VanillaBean_21
    Uh..measure it out and eat it?
    lol I meant that I wanted to mix it with foods. I wasn't sure what to mix it with.

Here are my meals so far today... tell me what you think:

Meal 1 (7:15am)

Meal 2 (9:00am)
    - 1/2c Oats with 1.5 tbs Natty PB, 1/2 scoop unflavored protein, cinnamon and almonds

Meal 3 (11:00am)
    - 1/2c leftover ww pasta mixed with cottage cheese
    - 4 egg whites and 1 yolk scrambled with 2 tsp mild salsa and 1 slice sharp cheese

Meal 4 (2:30?)
    - 1 orange
    - 1c raw carrot sticks

Meal 5
    - Not sure yet

Gotta work 12-4 so I'm eating an early lunch

Progress photos!

How is my diet looking? Sample menu from yesterday:

Meal 1 (6:50am)
    -16 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake

Meal 2 (9:45am)
    - 4 eggs whites scrambled with 1 cut up mushroom and 2 slices sharp cheese
    - 1 slice ww toast with 1 tsp Natty PB

Meal 3 (12:50pm)
    - 1 1/2 slices of grilled chicken
    - 3/4c string beans, 3/4c cooked carrots
    - 1/2c fresh strawberries

Meal 4 (3:00pm)
    - 16 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake
    - 1 banana

Meal 5 (8:45pm) - after work
    - 1 crab cake with lemon
    - spinach, string beans, corn, 3 small potatoes

bump

Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kvh4fan
    How is my diet looking? Sample menu from yesterday:

Meal 1 (6:50am)
    -16 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake

Meal 2 (9:45am)
    - 4 eggs whites scrambled with 1 cut up mushroom and 2 slices sharp cheese
    - 1 slice ww toast with 1 tsp Natty PB

Meal 3 (12:50pm)
    - 1 1/2 slices of grilled chicken
    - 3/4c string beans, 3/4c cooked carrots
    - 1/2c fresh strawberries

Meal 4 (3:00pm)
    - 16 oz Chocolate-PB Protein Shake
    - 1 banana

Meal 5 (8:45pm) - after work
    - 1 crab cake with lemon
    - spinach, string beans, corn, 3 small potatoes

The macro ration is pretty good, but it doesn't look like enough calories. Do you have a logging program? You and I are the same height and I think I'd starve to death eating like that.

As for the cottage cheese thing -- my personal favorite way to eat it is like this:

4 oz cottage cheese + 1/4 cup instant oats + vanilla protein

or

4 oz cottage cheese + vanilla protein + cinnamon + a little milk (1/3 cup), freeze it for about 20 minutes and viola, ice cream.

You can also mix it with tuna, that makes a really good sandwich.

As for your workouts, I'm going to second what Kris said, your leg day could use some tweaking. Something like this:

1. Squats (regular, narrow stance, sumo or plie)

Squats should be your first exercise, IMHO, because they are one of the best that you can do for your legs. Also, they're hard if you're using appropriate weight, so you should always do them while your legs are still fresh. This is what I do, and it works really well for me --

2 x 12 @ light weight (these are my warmup sets)
    1 x 10 @ moderate weight (an "acclimation set")
    4 x 6-8 @ hard weight (my working sets)

After that, my legs are jelly!

2. Lunges (Overhead, alternating, side, speed-skater, etc)

Lunges are another great leg exercise. Personally I like overhead lunges, because that forces you to use your stabilizer muscles and core to a greater extent, but those are also a bit more difficult balance-wise.

3. Leg Press (horizontal or 45 degree)
    4. Single Leg Squats (Bulgarian, Split, etc)

These are a glute KILLER -- bulgarian squats are wonderful for building a nice round bounce-a-quarter-off-your-butt silhouette.

5. Calf Raises

I'd drop the hip ad/abductor machine as well as the extensions & curls...if you do a lot of compound exercises, isolation moves like those are unneccessary.

Just my 2 cents!
    Sunny
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

1 January 2017: 175.0
    1 June 2017: 154.4
    Goal Weight: 145.0 (by 1 August)

Week 1: 154.3 (6/2/17); Week 2: 154.4 (6/9/17); Week 3: 152.4 (6/16/17); Week 4: Friday 23th June; Week 5: Friday 30th June

Memorial Day Challenge Results

Before
    Weight/Height: 140lbs, 5'7 1/2"
    Measurements: As of 3/2/05-
    Waist: 28"
    Hips: 36"
    Bust: 36"
    Size: 8
    Body Fat: Not sure... in December it was 21%... I have no idea now

Now
    Weight: 137.5lbs (goal was 135lbs-137lbs)
    Measurements: As of 5/30/05-
    Waist: 26.5" (goal was 27")
    Hips: 34" (goal was 34 1/2 or 35")
    Bust: 35.5" (goal was 36")
    Size: Still a size 8... although sometimes my pants feel loose (goal was size 6)
    Body Fat: Still unknown, grr (goal was 20%)

I'm gonna try to write here again... hopefully I'll get feedback. I didn't get much last time when I was writing. I need some support ya'll!

Yesterday's log:

Meal 1 (6:20am)
    - 16 oz. Chocolate Protein Shake

Meal 2 (8:05am)
    - 1 container of Dannon ff. plain yogurt with 1.5 tsp. sugar-free grape jelly
    - 4 egg whites scrambled with 1 slice of provelone cheese

Meal 3 (11:00am)
    - 1 banana

Meal 4 (12:00pm)
    - 3 slices turkey, 3 slices cheese, baby spinach, grilled mushrooms, ff. cottage cheese in a ww. tortilla wrap
    - 1 pickle
    - 1/2c. carrots

Meal 5 (3:00pm)
    - 2c. fruit salad (strawberries and blueberries)

Meal 6 (5:00pm)
    - 2c. grilled shrimp
    -1/2c. brown rice, 1/2c. carrots, 1/2c. green beans
    - 1 ear of corn

Erin's Omlete

Thought I'd share a recipe!

Came up with this a few months ago. One of the first meals I have ever made on my own! You can make this in omlete form or just scramble them. I frequent this as a lunch. =]

- 4 egg whites
    - 1 tsp. Mild salsa
    - 1 tsp. ff. cottage cheese
    - 1 slice of cheese (I usually use provelone... it melts well!)
    - Cut up mushrooms
    - Baby spinach

Then either scrambled or fold into omlete form. Yummies!

Protein Salad

I came up with this after finding some items around the house.... very good! No need for any type of dressing!

Depending on how big you want your salad, you judge the amounts. Here's what I used in mine:

- Baby spinach
    - Strips of chicken
    - Grilled shrimp
    - FF Cottage Cheese
    - Grated sharp cheese

Mix and eat! Yummies!

surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) surfrchick3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi!

We have a pretty similar history. I'm 5'8" as well and my high weight (which was not too long ago) was 174. I'm not sure what I weigh now.. I'm guessing about 158-160 (I'm trying to not weigh myself for a while, as it tendds to royally screw me up when I do) and I'm at about 24%bf... My goal weight is also 135 with a bf% of 17, but that bf goal may change as I progress.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi... I have a journal as well, I'm looking forward to keeping up with yours

Originally Posted by surfrchick3
    hi!

We have a pretty similar history. I'm 5'8" as well and my high weight (which was not too long ago) was 174. I'm not sure what I weigh now.. I'm guessing about 158-160 (I'm trying to not weigh myself for a while, as it tendds to royally screw me up when I do) and I'm at about 24%bf... My goal weight is also 135 with a bf% of 17, but that bf goal may change as I progress.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi... I have a journal as well, I'm looking forward to keeping up with yours
    Hey... wow, VERY similar! I haven't seen your journal but I'm off to go find it now! Thanks for poppin' in! =]