the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK ONE HUNDRED :: What Is The Best Workout When You Are Short On Time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Workout When You Are Short On Time?

For the week of: 9/18-9/23
    Sunday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your headed to the gym for a standard session of training, but then you suddenly get a call and hear that you have to make an important meeting. You decide that 20-30 minutes in the gym isn't enough time, so you turn around. The next day when headed to the gym you find out that you have to pick up the kids from practice in an hour. It's very important to get this workout in, but your just not sure if you'll have enough time to get a good session in. What should you do?

What is the best workout when you are short on time? Be specific.

How effective can this quick workout be?

When short on time is it easier to do an aerobic or strength training workout?

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever been short on time for training? How often does it happen, and how do you deal with it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

studfish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Short Set

When doing a short workout, doing less sets/reps with higher weight would be the best alternative. Most workouts that go past 40 min. usually lose their effectiveness anyways. So short setting your workout and getting the most out of your muscle tissue would be a better alternative. You might not be able to work all the different muscle groups you would prefer, but with the limited time you could definitely get a great workout without loosing any ground. Cardio is great, but hardly as effective as adding lean muscle to your body. When given the opportunity, I would always choose weight training to cardio, but you have to train heavy and you can shorten your rest periods slightly to keep your heart rate up and get the best of both worlds.

mtloot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intensity

Q: What is the best workout when short on time? A: Really any workout can be done in less than 30 minutes.(Full body routines might be a struggle.) I can usually do a push workout in about 25-30 minutes. I start with bench press one set to failure ,all sets are usually between 5-8 reps, after two warmup sets. Then move on to military press with one set to failure after one warmup set. Then do one set to failure with either close grip presses or skullcrushers. Back to chest again with incline dumbell presses one set to failure with no warmup set. Shoulders again either with arnold presses or seated laterals. Triceps either overhead dumbell extensions or kickbacks. The last movement usually bodyweight dips. All reps with a 4 second negative and explosive positive.
    How effective can this quick workout be? I've had the best progress with this workout. It's all about hardwork, you only get out what you put in. If your lifting hard then you'll get stronger.
    When short on time is it easier to do an aerobic or strength training workout? You can do either its really about intensity. Twenty minutes on the treadmill running as hard as you can at a certain pace for that amount of time will just kick your butt.
    BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever been short on time for training? How often does it happen, and how do you deal with it? Being in the military I find that time management is always an issue. I fit my weightlifting in by doing brief intense workouts. It's all about hardwork and intensity.

haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

What is the best workout when you are short on time? Be specific.

When short on time, the best workout is always going to be something that incorporates major compound movements. This will allow you to hit more body parts in less time than trying to isolate each body part. Generally, If short on time, I would suggest a full body routine, based on an outline like:

Lower Body Push - Rest 90 seconds - Upper Body Pull - Rest 90 seconds - Repeat for a total of 3 sets.

Lower Body Pull - Upper Body Push (Same rest time/rep scheme)

Shoulder Exercise - Along with a Bicep and/or Tricep Movement - Total of two sets for each body part.

Thats it. Plain, Simple and effective and you will be out of the gym in 30 minutes. Now, to further illustrate the workout, I will list the movements that can be substituted into each category.

Lower Body Push: Back Squats, Box Squats, Front Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, Hack Squats, Leg Press

Lower Body Pull: Romanian Deadlift, Stiff Legged Deadlift, Leg Curls, Glute-Ham Raises

Upper Body Pull: Pullups, Lat Pulldowns, Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Rows, Cable Rows

Upper Body Push: DB/BB Bench Press (Incline, Flat, Decline), Machine Press.

Shoulder: Military Press, DB Shoulder Press, Machine Shoulder Press, Upright Row

Bicep: DB Curls, BB Curls, Preacher Curls

Tricep: Rope Pushdowns, Skullcrushers, Overhead DB Extensions

Sample Routine

Back Squat X 5-10 reps - (rest 90 seconds) - Pullups X 5-12 reps (Rest 90 seconds). Repeat two more times.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift X 12 reps - (rest 90 seconds) - BB Bench Press X 6-8 Reps (Rest 90 seconds). Repeat two more times.

Military Press X 10 - (Rest 60 seconds) - DB Curls X 8-10 (Rest 60 seconds) - Tricep Extensions X 10 - Rest 60 seconds. Repeat one more time.

Remember, you are not confined to any rep scheme here. I do suggest staying away from VERY heavy training though, as heavier weights usual require more rest time in between sets for you to fully recover and be ready to do the next set safely. Other than that, feel free do perform the rep schemes that you feel work best for you.

I honestly feel like this routine can be very effective. Sometimes, we get caught up in thinking we need to "destroy" the muscle to make it grow. This is not entirely true though. The key to growth is adding weight to the bar over time - progressive overload. This routine will allow you to gain strength and as a result, grow. While I won't say that it will be as effective as a more in-depth routine, this quick workout will produce results given limited time in the gym.

Either one can be done, but I prefer strength training. The routine I have setup above is actually a combination of both, as you are constantly lifting. Taking only 90 second rests between all exercises will work both your cardiovascular and muscular systems, thus increasing the efficiency of your workout.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever been short on time for training? How often does it happen, and how do you deal with it?

Like most people, I have certainly been short on time for training. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I make sure to put all of the time I DO have to the best use possible. That means super-setting exercises to save time and probably doing less total work than I would have with more time. It isn't optimal to spend only 20-25 minutes in the gym, but that does not mean it can't be beneficial. Just put 100% into whatever time you have, and you will see results.

NSCA-CSCS and CPT
    Currently Pursuing A Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    just a question about this one, how much time do we assume the person has to workout? because i consider 20 minutes short, but most of my workouts are shorter than others, so are going with 20-30? 30-45?
    thnx
    **Canadian Crew**

shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    here's mine:
    Attached Files

Masterpiece-13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What Is The Best Workout When You Are Short On Time?

Question: Your headed to the gym for a standard session of training, but then you suddenly get a call and hear that you have to make an important meeting. You decide that 20-30 minutes in the gym isn't enough time, so you turn around. The next day when headed to the gym you find out that you have to pick up the kids from practice in an hour. It's very important to get this workout in, but your just not sure if you'll have enough time to get a good session in. What should you do?

Answer: You should workout, You could get a great workout in 20-30 minutes, whether you decide to conduct this workout at the gym or at home is up to you.

Question: What is the best workout when you are short on time? Be specific.

Answer: I will give you two workouts for this. The first workout will be is the gym workout which will be based around compound movements and supersets. The second workout is the at-home workout which is an intense calisthenic routine.

GYM WORKOUT: Obviously the best and most know way to save time in the gym and increase intensity is to superset your excercises. The best muslces to run in a superset together would be: Chest and Back, Triceps and Biceps, Quads and Hamstrings, and shoulders can be run by themselves because of the many heads of the muslce. Now the program that you will be running is a very intense one that is often overlooked. This is the 10X10 program. You will pick one excercise per bodypart and perform that excercise for 10 reps, then immediatley after that perform the excercise that you had picked for the other bodypart that you are working and perform it for 10 reps. Now Rest for 60-90 seconds and repeat this circuit 10 times. You should be able to complete this in 20 minutes and belive me, you will be tired. The recommended excercises for each bodypart are:

Chest: Bench press, Dumbell Press, Machine Chest Press
    Back: Lat Pulldown, Pullups, Bent over row
    Triceps: Close Grip Bench Press, Dips, Triceps Pushdown
    Biceps: Curl, Dumbell Curl
    Shoulders: Millitary press, Front Raise, Upright Rows, Laterals, Bent over Laterals
    Quads: Squat, Leg press, Hack Squat
    Hamstrings: Stiff Legged Deadlift, Lying Ham Curl, Seated Ham Curl

AT HOME WORKOUT

This workout is an extremely intense full body calisthenic workout and can be completed in 20 minutes. For this workout we will only need our own bodyweight. We will first start out with Pushups. For pushups perform as many as you possibly can, when you cannot perform any more drop down to your knees and try to pump out 5 to 10 extra pushups. Perform this for 5 sets. Our next excercise is another variation of the pushup. To perform this prop your feet up on a table, the higher the better, and perform pushups on your knuckles. Do this for 3 sets of 10. Now we go onto lower body, and there is no better excercise to do than Bodyweight Squats. The rep plan we will be using for this is know as Mike Tyson Squats. We will start with ten. To begin start with 1 rep, now after completion of this rep take one step forward, now perform two reps, next take another step forward, and perform 3 reps. Do this until you reach ten. Now work your way down back to 1. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Doing this to 10 is 110 squats, Doing this to 20 is 420 Squats.

Question: How effective can this quick workout be?

Answer: I believe that both of these workouts can be extremly effective. They are high intensity and non-stop. I even believe that the 10x10 program is one of the most effective and most overlooked programs there is.

Question: When short on time is it easier to do an aerobic or strength training workout?

Answer: Neither of these is easier to do than the other. In order to stimulate your aerobic energy system you only need to maintain a heart rate of about 65% of your maximun for 20 minutes. So if you decide to perform an aerobic workout or strength train, it is entirely up to you and what your personal goals are.

Answer: Yes i Have, I deal with the same way as I explained in this post. This happens to me at least 1-2 times a month, and these workouts are every bit as intense as a regular workout. I am a firm believer in both of the systems that I have listed.

Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My submission

Hope you like it

liqvvid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

week 100

Good luck to all!
    Attached Files
    cc

adderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout of the week

What is the best workout when you are short on time?

Let's say you were heading to the gym for a full body weight training session. With 30 minutes at the most, I would strongly advise sticking with the basic compound exercises, using low reps and heavy weight (remember, never sacrifice form for weight!!!). For example:

Bench Press 3x6
    Military press 2x6 (one less set since bench works shoulders as well)
    Bent over barbell rows 3x6
    Deadlifts 3x6
    Squats 2x8 (one less set since deadlift hits your quads)

Keep rest periods between sets around 45 seconds, just enough to catch your breath. Between exercises, take no more than 90 seconds -- your heart rate needs to stay up!

If you keep your heart rate up and use heavy weight, this workout can be extremely effective -- the use of the compound exercises really pushes your body. As I'm sure most people here know, these exercises trigger the most growth because they use several muscle groups at once (hence the name, compound). There is no need for isolaton exercises since everything gets worked with these, which saves you time and allows you to focus on using more weight.

So, in short, this workout can really whoop your a**!

I would have to say strength training would be easier with limited time, although working at such high intensity will definitely work your cardiovascular system anyway. The short time you have in the gym can really be used to your advantage: you HAVE TO stay on the ball, you HAVE TO keep your rest periods short, and you CANNOT slack off, otherwise you'll run out of time and won't be able to finish. Having this in your head, time constraint can almost be an incentive for you to train harder, racing against the clock to get the best workout in you can.

Have you ever been short on time for training? How often does it happen, and how do you deal with it?

I've only been rushed a few times, but since I wasn't using a full body workout routine, it was a little easier for me. The plan was to do chest, shoulders/traps, and tris in about 25 minutes. The plan was:

superset bench press/shoulder dumbbell press 3x8
    superset incline db flyes/shoulder shrugs 3x8
    superset tricep cable pushdowns/dips (2x8/2xfail)

I remember wanting to just go to bed after that one, but it got me done in a hurry, and it didn't slow me down!