Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10)

the guggulsterone issue

First the study that it raises cholesterol and now this study.

Why are people still putting this in supplements?

Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Mar;67(3):948-54. Epub 2004 Dec 15. Related Articles, Links

The hypolipidemic natural product guggulsterone is a promiscuous steroid receptor ligand.

Burris TP, Montrose C, Houck KA, Osborne HE, Bocchinfuso WP, Yaden BC, Cheng CC, Zink RW, Barr RJ, Hepler CD, Krishnan V, Bullock HA, Burris LL, Galvin RJ, Bramlett K, Stayrook KR.

Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA. burris@lilly.com

Guggulsterone (GS) is the active substance in guggulipid, an extract of the guggul tree, Commiphora mukul, used to treat a variety of disorders in humans, including dyslipidemia, obesity, and inflammation. The activity of GS has been suggested to be mediated by antagonism of the receptor for bile acids, the farnesoid X receptor (FXR). Here, we demonstrate that both stereoisomers of the plant sterol, (E)- and (Z)-GS, bind to the steroid receptors at a much higher affinity than to FXR. Both stereoisomers bind to the mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) with a Ki value of approximately 35 nM, which is greater than 100 times more potent than their affinity for FXR. Both (E)- and (Z)-GS also displayed high affinity for other steroid receptors, including the androgen (AR), glucocorticoid (GR), and progesterone receptors (PR) with Ki values ranging from 224 to 315 nM. In cell-based functional cotransfection assays, GSs behaved as antagonists of AR, GR, and MR, but as agonists of PR. Agonist activity was also demonstrated with estrogen receptor (ER) alpha; however, the potency was very low (EC50 > 5000 nM). In addition, GS displayed activity in functional assays in cell lines expressing endogenous AR, GR, ER, and PR. These data suggest that the variety of pharmacological effects exhibited by GS may be mediated by targeting several steroid receptors.

derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice find. I think I saw this on Pubmed about a week ago.

korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10) korexite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by derekmac
    Nice find. I think I saw this on Pubmed about a week ago.
    I would expect that something like this would be all over the net. I would never have seen it if someone had not specifically pointed it out to me on another forum. I have always been a bit leary since all the supposedly "good" studies are done by indians, who stand to profit from "good results" and that you could never get even the abstracts on those studies. First that cholesterol study, now this. Just makes one wonder a lot about what to trust on pubmed from third world research.

derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Many of the abstracts and studies about guggul are also pretty old....I think I saw one that went back to 1983. Caveat Emptor, I guess.

well thanks for reading it. Other people dont seem to take kindly to my efforts to get comment and inform.

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile

Aw, I didn't mean anything personally.
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

Reminds me somewhat of the glutamine issue....there has yet to be a study showing the oral efficacy of glutamine in non burn patients, or people who have diseases, and yet glutamine is still highly touted, despite the science to the contrary.

People would do well to do a little research for themselves....knowledge is power.

Reminds me somewhat of the glutamine issue....there has yet to be a study showing the oral efficacy of glutamine in non burn patients, or people who have diseases, and yet glutamine is still highly touted, despite the science to the contrary.

People would do well to do a little research for themselves....knowledge is power.
    the thing is that here, unlike glutamine where you might not get a benefit, guggulsterones look to be harmful to both gains and even slightly to health if the LDL data is correct.

systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by korexite
    First the study that it raises cholesterol and now this study.

Why are people still putting this in supplements?

Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Mar;67(3):948-54. Epub 2004 Dec 15. Related Articles, Links

The hypolipidemic natural product guggulsterone is a promiscuous steroid receptor ligand.

Burris TP, Montrose C, Houck KA, Osborne HE, Bocchinfuso WP, Yaden BC, Cheng CC, Zink RW, Barr RJ, Hepler CD, Krishnan V, Bullock HA, Burris LL, Galvin RJ, Bramlett K, Stayrook KR.

Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA. burris@lilly.com

Guggulsterone (GS) is the active substance in guggulipid, an extract of the guggul tree, Commiphora mukul, used to treat a variety of disorders in humans, including dyslipidemia, obesity, and inflammation. The activity of GS has been suggested to be mediated by antagonism of the receptor for bile acids, the farnesoid X receptor (FXR). Here, we demonstrate that both stereoisomers of the plant sterol, (E)- and (Z)-GS, bind to the steroid receptors at a much higher affinity than to FXR. Both stereoisomers bind to the mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) with a Ki value of approximately 35 nM, which is greater than 100 times more potent than their affinity for FXR. Both (E)- and (Z)-GS also displayed high affinity for other steroid receptors, including the androgen (AR), glucocorticoid (GR), and progesterone receptors (PR) with Ki values ranging from 224 to 315 nM. In cell-based functional cotransfection assays, GSs behaved as antagonists of AR, GR, and MR, but as agonists of PR. Agonist activity was also demonstrated with estrogen receptor (ER) alpha; however, the potency was very low (EC50 > 5000 nM). In addition, GS displayed activity in functional assays in cell lines expressing endogenous AR, GR, ER, and PR. These data suggest that the variety of pharmacological effects exhibited by GS may be mediated by targeting several steroid receptors.
    Ummm... so in simple terms this means what???

Originally Posted by systemX
    Ummm... so in simple terms this means what???
    basically that it blocks the androgen receptor (the receptor that makes testosterone and other steroids "work")

and that it activates the progesterone receptor, which I beleive is why people fell "hot", basically a menapausal "hotflash"

systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

That sucks. Although I still think that everyone will one day get there wish and be able to take a pill that has no side effects and will allow you to drop to 8% bf overnight with no lean mass loss, without modifing their diet or having to work out. (I am a smart ass, I know)

Thanks for the info.
    B)

Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intense501 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So would these bonds to the steroid receptors be permanent? I'm not happy to hear this because I just ordered a bottle of Tight.

indentured servant velikimajmun's Avatar
    velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Intense501
    So would these bonds to the steroid receptors be permanent? I'm not happy to hear this because I just ordered a bottle of Tight.
    no
    Avant Labs Rep

Sesalean the fat burning oil is now available

Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Intense501

no, but it appears that they would likely impair androgen binding while you were taking the supplement. not a good thing

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "That sucks. Although I still think that everyone will one day get there wish and be able to take a pill that has no side effects and will allow you to drop to 8% bf overnight with no lean mass loss, without modifing their diet or having to work out. (I am a smart ass, I know)"

Take DNP. I mean, aside from that death issue, no real side effects there...
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Then again 'science' says any more than 1g/lbs of bodyweight of protein is a waste, which goes against the wealth of user experience.
    My Journal = forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=454719

Originally Posted by Jox
    Then again 'science' says any more than 1g/lbs of bodyweight of protein is a waste, which goes against the wealth of user experience.
    The true worth of a supplement is scientific evidence, combined with anecdotal feedback. Where one is lacking, then there should be doubt.

Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraftydog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jox
    actually some sports studies have shown benefits to 1g+/lb

comments on the study?

Red3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I just purchased Guggulbolic in a combo with Xenadrine NRG. Has anyone actually taken it on this site? Or just read studies? I want to know real results here.

Originally Posted by Red3
    I just purchased Guggulbolic in a combo with Xenadrine NRG. Has anyone actually taken it on this site? Or just read studies? I want to know real results here.
    i have used guggulsteroes, pure Z&E and guggulbolic (original). They both occasionally made me feel hot, but did little, if anything for fat loss. Given the descriptions I have read and heard the effect was progesterone hot flash like.

krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000) krazykarl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by korexite
    the thing is that here, unlike glutamine where you might not get a benefit, guggulsterones look to be harmful to both gains and even slightly to health if the LDL data is correct.

Finished a bottle of a syntrax product with guggle a bit ago, and recently had bloodwork done. LDL was normal.

-krazy
    |
    Currently featuring VMax Weightvest review. http://blog.bodybuilding.com/krazykarl

"a liver is like a DUI - you don't need to worry till you've had a couple of them"
    -Slated

"The Misc is the closest thing the human race has to a natural predator. Charles Darwin and myself applaud you all."
    -PeonLover

goal: 215 lbs/7% bf/6 min mile

CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kraftydog
    no, but it appears that they would likely impair androgen binding while you were taking the supplement. not a good thing
    I wasnt a big fan of tight... didnt feel like there was enough in it to get the job done.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Great thread.

Hopefully Patrick Arnold will chime in.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

thagman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thagman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thagman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thagman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thagman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

Originally Posted by thagman
    bump
    back up

Originally Posted by Kraftydog
    back up
    thanks

nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nni has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this might be a dumb question, but would this make the gugul better for women?

Originally Posted by nni
    this might be a dumb question, but would this make the gugul better for women?
    progesterone is not usually an issue for women, they typically have more than enough. Also its not clear what kind of activity its going to have at the PR. It might have benefits for menapausal women, but where androgen activity is not such a good thing, but I think on the whole, no.