In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Angry Pain In The Butt (Honestly): Please help!

I have a problem with a recurring pain in the buttock/glute which is really starting to affect me. It sort of comes and goes, and usually acts up after certain types of cardio. However, there is no fixed pattern. For example about 2 months ago it acted up after the treadmill, so I stopped for a while and did the bike and eliptical instead. It seemed fine, but about a week and a half ago I did the eliptical and it came back!

To give you an idea, it's in the right glute, near the top. When I massage the area I can feel the tightness in the top quadrant but when I stretch the area, I feel the shooting pain right from the top and across almost the entire glute. Looking over at ExRx it seems like the pain originates from the gluteus medius and minimus: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html.

To clarify, the pain is a dull background pain when relaxed, but gets very sore when I try put on socks or shoes, or even pants. Only the right side is affected. When I try do this stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/Lying.html I am fine with the left side, but the right side I can JUST manage to cross the right leg over the left knee, nevertheless bring the left knee up toward my head. That is how sore it gets! Same shooting pain with this stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...dBentover.html

Any help appreciated as to what it could be and what can be done to prevent it.

Cheers,
    X

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    possible sciatica. if it is, only 2 months of stretching got rid of mine. but keep on lifting.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by xenithon
    I have a problem with a recurring pain in the buttock/glute which is really starting to affect me. It sort of comes and goes, and usually acts up after certain types of cardio. However, there is no fixed pattern. For example about 2 months ago it acted up after the treadmill, so I stopped for a while and did the bike and eliptical instead. It seemed fine, but about a week and a half ago I did the eliptical and it came back!

To give you an idea, it's in the right glute, near the top. When I massage the area I can feel the tightness in the top quadrant but when I stretch the area, I feel the shooting pain right from the top and across almost the entire glute. Looking over at ExRx it seems like the pain originates from the gluteus medius and minimus: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html.

To clarify, the pain is a dull background pain when relaxed, but gets very sore when I try put on socks or shoes, or even pants. Only the right side is affected. When I try do this stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/Lying.html I am fine with the left side, but the right side I can JUST manage to cross the right leg over the left knee, nevertheless bring the left knee up toward my head. That is how sore it gets! Same shooting pain with this stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...dBentover.html

Any help appreciated as to what it could be and what can be done to prevent it.

Cheers,
    X
    Doctor.

CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't pittb......j/k.....piitb

xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by forklift
    possible sciatica. if it is, only 2 months of stretching got rid of mine. but keep on lifting.
    That is what I suspect too. What type of stretching did you do? Did you do it daily? I do not want to overwork it so am weary of doing constant stretching.

Don't pittb......j/k.....piitb
    WTF?

sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    Doctor.
    Couldn't have said it better. Pain in the glutes is a sign of spine injuries in the lumbar area! Go to the doctor !!! Don't fck around with this!

Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A MRI will reveal any disc disturbtion in lumbar area. Pain in butt usualy got to do with the upper lumbar region. Have you noticed any vaxation on calves or toes?

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    of course check your doctor for your own specific thing.

but when i had sciatica their advice of "don't move" etc. did nothing for me except waste two weeks of workout time.

i now believe in taking action unless there's a broken bone.
    slow toe touches and slow deep knee bends several times a day, and i kept on lifting. on any area where i thought i might have a small muscle knot, i slowly forced a wood massage roller right into it.

it lasted over a month. no problems now.

Yeah I will check it out. Never knew it was that serious! The thing is from everywhere I researched and everyone I spoke to, they said that Sciatica is something I should not worry about and should NOT simply rest - on the contrary they say to carry on working and stretching. Perhaps this is only for sciatica caused by piriformis, and not an actual disc bulge. Piriformis I believe is the predominant diagnosis amongst bodybuilders.

GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50) GovernorMills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi, I am an athletic trainer and work with college football players so I may be able to help you out. I can't be totally sure without evaluating you but this is what i think. I am betting it is not sciatica. Usually sciatica is caused by a protruding disc rubbing on the nerve and you get a sharp, shooting pain in your ass and down your leg. Many of my athletes have the same problem as you and it is most likely due to weak and tight erector spinae muscles (muscles on each side of spine that go down to the top of your butt). I'm guessing it gets worse when you are on an incline too. The dull pain shows that it is probably not sciatica. Look online for low back stretches and work on strengthening the area. Many athletes experience this but with core strengthening and stretching it should improve.

Bomb Squizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GovernorMills
    Hi, I am an athletic trainer and work with college football players so I may be able to help you out. I can't be totally sure without evaluating you but this is what i think. I am betting it is not sciatica. Usually sciatica is caused by a protruding disc rubbing on the nerve and you get a sharp, shooting pain in your ass and down your leg. Many of my athletes have the same problem as you and it is most likely due to weak and tight erector spinae muscles (muscles on each side of spine that go down to the top of your butt). I'm guessing it gets worse when you are on an incline too. The dull pain shows that it is probably not sciatica. Look online for low back stretches and work on strengthening the area. Many athletes experience this but with core strengthening and stretching it should improve.
    couldnt agree more.

hongkongboy234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi xenithon - I know this is something that you have like 4 years ago, but recently I just started hitting the gym and seem to come across the same thing that you describe in this post.

Can you let me know how you deal with it eventually? did you rest, or was it more stretching that worked for you? Or did you consult your physician just in case?

Certainly don't want to waste time not working out but also don't want to make things worse. If you have any insight, please share! Thank you!