AbstruseAlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 Weeks into Gym.... What to do?

Hi all,

so unlike most, I've actually stuck to my New Years resolution of joining the gym and going most days.

The problem is, based on my body, I've no idea what to target, I have no set diet, set workout plan etc.

Should I bulk? Should I cut? Should I eat everything I see? Should I go on a strict carbs/protein diet etc etc.

Just all in all, based on my body, I'd like opinions. My aim is to be ripped and well defined but not seeming like it's down to being slim etc.

I'm 23, 5 ft 10 and 159lbs, 11st 5lb, 72.3kg. (Weighed myself on one of those machines at the gym that cost 70pence).

Anyway, here's a few pics I've mostly just taken now at 3am. Last workout was at 6pm earlier today on biceps and abs.

All comments appreciated.
    Attached Images

Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey op props to sticking to your New years resolution.

Looks like you put on some muscle mass. I recommend you go to the Workout section in this forum and find a workout program that you can follow. They have everything that you need. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 Pick a program and follow it eat at a surplus and build muscle mass.

Originally Posted by Asguroth View Post
    Hey op props to sticking to your New years resolution.

Looks like you put on some muscle mass. I recommend you go to the Workout section in this forum and find a workout program that you can follow. They have everything that you need. Pick a program and follow it eat at a surplus and build muscle mass.
    Hi Asg,

There is no 'before' picture included haha but I've made gains, I've noticed that, I just want to maximize my improvement rate. Would I be considered an ectomorph? My diet is pretty terrible atm consisting of mostly junk food but I do drink water as my only fluids apart from the odd night out on the alcohol. My camera isn't the best (Nokia l0l) but I'm a little more defined than the pics show and with arms down I have pretty good traps. Abs is another thing I aim to achieve, this will be impossible whilst bulking, correct?

Thanks for the reply though, I'll be sure to check out the workout section

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AbstruseAlan View Post
    Hi all,

so unlike most, I've actually stuck to my New Years resolution of joining the gym and going most days.

The problem is, based on my body, I've no idea what to target, I have no set diet, set workout plan etc.

Should I bulk? Should I cut? Should I eat everything I see? Should I go on a strict carbs/protein diet etc etc.

Just all in all, based on my body, I'd like opinions. My aim is to be ripped and well defined but not seeming like it's down to being slim etc.

I'm 23, 5 ft 10 and 159lbs, 11st 5lb, 72.3kg. (Weighed myself on one of those machines at the gym that cost 70pence).

Anyway, here's a few pics I've mostly just taken now at 3am. Last workout was at 6pm earlier today on biceps and abs.

All comments appreciated.
    In addition to the workout section link above, read this Nutrition sticky and this one.

3 weeks into the gym the only answer is to bulk.
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    In addition to the workout section link above, read this one.

3 weeks into the gym the only answer is to bulk.
    Thanks for the links, I've just had a scan and a bunch look pretty good to read, seems like there's a lot of clashing information between people and foods to eat though. One minute I'm like I'll go out and buy nuts, eggs, lean meat etc etc and then the next I'm just like I'll eat anything and everything constantly. What actually is the best approach?

Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asguroth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the links, I've just had a scan and a bunch look pretty good to read, seems like there's a lot of clashing information between people and foods to eat though. One minute I'm like I'll go out and buy nuts, eggs, lean meat etc etc and then the next I'm just like I'll eat anything and everything constantly. What actually is the best approach?
    Well after you reach your body's protein and fat requirments you will have calories left over. Those calories can be carbs,protein, or fat so ergo eat whatever you want after reaching your minimum for fats and protein. Your body only needs about 0.4gram of fat per LB and 0.8g protein per LB.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Eating anything and everything constantly and if not tracking/counting calories/macros will likely result in a surplus too high over your TDEE which will result eventually in too much fat gained as you bulk.
    Follow the minimums suggested above from Asguoth and:

1. Determine your TDEE from the sticky (these are rough guesstimates only, a starting point)
    2. Eat 10%-20% above that getting your foods from whole or minimally procressed foods sufficient in macros/micros/fiber.
    3. Keep eating this intake 3-4 weeks so your body adjusts to it and then check weight thru mirror, scale, clothes, measurements aiming for .5-1lb weight gain weekly.
    4. Adjust calories. If losing too much--- add. If losing too little -- subtract. If nothing after 3-4 weeks, you have likely found your TDEE.
    5. Aim for .5-1lb week/weight gain.
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

Originally Posted by Asguroth View Post
    Well after you reach your body's protein and fat requirments you will have calories left over. Those calories can be carbs,protein, or fat so ergo eat whatever you want after reaching your minimum for fats and protein. Your body only needs about 0.4gram of fat per LB and 0.8g protein per LB.
    Gotcha, that'll work, I'll just make sure I get my RDA of fat and protein and then freestyle from there, I've never been anything over what I weigh now so I think I'll find it hard to put on weight, no point making it harder than it already is by restricting foods I eat. I'm just going to try get in the habit of eating a lot and regularly. I've also got a mass gain whey protein powder bucket with 30 servings so that should help having 1 or 2 a day.

At what point do you think I should stop 'bulking' and start cutting for the summer? From what I figure, a common pattern is to bulk through the year and then cut in time for summer to look good each year?

Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    Eating anything and everything constantly and if not tracking/counting calories/macros will likely result in a surplus too high over your TDEE which will result eventually in too much fat gained as you bulk.
    Follow the minimums suggested above from Asguoth and:

1. Determine your TDEE from the sticky (these are rough guesstimates only, a starting point)
    2. Eat 10%-20% above that getting your foods from whole or minimally procressed foods sufficient in macros/micros/fiber.
    3. Keep eating this intake 3-4 weeks so your body adjusts to it and then check weight thru mirror, scale, clothes, measurements aiming for .5-1lb weight gain weekly.
    4. Adjust calories. If losing too much--- add. If losing too little -- subtract. If nothing after 3-4 weeks, you have likely found your TDEE.
    5. Aim for .5-1lb week/weight gain.
    TDA calc I ran online based on my height/weight/age and exercise frequency, it gave the estimate of 2773. This would assume I'd be looking at 3000-3100 calories a day roughly? 160g of protein, 80g of fats? Rest whatever I wanted?

TDA calc I ran online based on my height/weight/age and exercise frequency, it gave the estimate of 2773. This would assume I'd be looking at 3000-3100 calories a day roughly? 160g of protein, 80g of fats? Rest whatever I wanted?
    Sounds good.

The rest can be made up of any combo of the macros you prefer. Use common sense and choose micronutrient dense whole foods/ones that arent overly processed.
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K