Rival has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Milk on Keto Diet?!?!?

I'm very interested in trying out this diet but almost everybody says milk is not allowed (except in the carb-up).Can somebody please explain why this is? I know milk has a lot of carbs (12g) yet you are supposed to get at least 50g carbs a day anyway? I'm sure i could fit this in. Also, the sugars in milk which are the source of those 12g of carbs are very slow digesting and do not spike insulin at all? So why is it forbidden?

Don't give me evils! SumthinOrNuthin's Avatar
    SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first couple of weeks most people try to keep to a max of 20g carbs a day. After that its a case of finding the level that suits you and keeps you in ketosis. That number seems to be different for everyone so don;t bank on eing able to 50g per day.

So, first couple of weeks you really need to get the carbs from veggies rather than other sources. After, when you've established your daily carbs limits, and depending on what you want to do with the milk, you could substitute it for cream. I can usually find enough carbs to have a big tea or coffee with cream every day but there's no way I can spare the carbs to drink a glass of milk.
    Brian! Who are all those people outside?
    I don't know mother, they just .... popped by.
    Popped by?! Swarmed by more like!

kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10) kunitkrzybear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I'm very interested in trying out this diet but almost everybody says milk is not allowed (except in the carb-up).Can somebody please explain why this is? I know milk has a lot of carbs (12g) yet you are supposed to get at least 50g carbs a day anyway? I'm sure i could fit this in. Also, the sugars in milk which are the source of those 12g of carbs are very slow digesting and do not spike insulin at all? So why is it forbidden?
    For keto you really dont want to go over 5-8% which is about 20-50g of carbs ( depending on how much you eat overall). You should'nt do milk because all of those carbs are coming from lactose which spilts to glucose and galactose. These sugars WILL spike your insulin.
    Current 214 lbs
    Goals
    October 30th - 207
    Nov 30th - 200
    Final Target 165 lbs

crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kunitkrzybear View Post
    You should'nt do milk because all of those carbs are coming from lactose which spilts to glucose and galactose. These sugars WILL spike your insulin.
    not really. 12 g of carbs is relativly nothing, to begin with. Plus, as you stated, lactose needs to be broken down into usable form.

It generally takes much more carbs to really "spike" insulin.
    "Did you know that there is a nerve that connects the eyeball to the anus?
    It's called the Anal Optic Nerve and gives people a ****ty outlook on life."

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."

Ronald Reagan

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It all depends on how many carbs you are trying to consume per day- cheese is a better option usually on this diet.