SemperFi506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pullup improovment?

Hey guys, im new here so bear with me. Im in the Marine Reserves right now, and im trying to get my PFT scores up so i can get closer to a promotion. Right now my pullups arent that good, i can only do about 6. Everyone just tells me 'doing more pullups is the only way to improve'...But i know theres more than that. Ive been hitting the gym doing lots of back and bicep workouts to try to improove, and i was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on good exercises that improved pullups.

AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heavy Lat pulldowns maybe? Same sort of movement, though not identical.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    do them frequently and aviod failure.

nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10) nellyei is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you could try doing negatives i.e put a box underneath the pull up bar, jump up, and slowly release urself down.
    to quote a friend "Dolor ad tempus manet, superbia autem ad aeternitatem"

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weighted hangs.
    Psalm 121

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tetsu. View Post
    do them frequently and aviod failure.
    Agreed.

OP you are really training to increase your muscular endurance.

Train them more frequently. Use short rest periods.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Registered User kevindf300@hotmail.com's Avatar
    kevindf300@hotmail.com has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

track team

we used to do a single set of as many as we could 3 or 4 times all throughout our work outs when i ran track back in HS. we would warm up, do a set of pull ups (as many as we could) do part of our work out, then back to \the pull up bar, then back to the work out... etc. it worked for me, i couldnt do any at all and then by the end of track season i was doing sets of 10. it did take 4 months

jmdrs4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Practice makes perfect

Perfect your form and also do negatives. Strengthen your weak area, whether it is bicep or lats. Weighted pullups or lat pulldown machine could also help.

stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stennett69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SemperFi506,

I know your problem man, I was in the Corps. I could never get more than 15 pull-ups for a long time. When I went to Bahrain, I tried this work out and it worked great. It sounds weak until you try it.

Overhand pullup
    1,2,3,4,3,2,1= 16 total

Underhand pullup
    1,2,3,4,3,2,1= 16 total

Side to side pullup
    1,2,3,4,3,2,1 =16 total (These you put your palms facing each other with you hands touching pinky to thumb pullup to the left side of hesd then down and up to the right that is one rep)

All reps are slow and controlled. Basically you do one pullup jump off for 10-15 sec and jump up and do two and keep going.

Since you are trying to get past 6 I would start with 1,2,3,2,1 for each style. Once you can do all of them nice and controlled then go up to 4. Then once you can complete them add weight going up to 3 each, then 4. After you get good at the weighted ones you will be crazy suprise at your PFT. I went from 16 to being able to do 30 good reps. The first time I did some without weight was for a PFT and I pullup so hard that I hit my chest and almost let go. I was able to pump them out so fast that the next thing I heard was 28, 29, 30, when I realized the count I jumped off. Oh do these twice a week with at least 2 days in between. Keep in mind do your workout slow and controlled.

I guarantee that you will like the results man.

Semper Fi

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i find that assisted pull-ups are good either by machine or partner if you can go til failure on regular pull-ups or have a friend help you get an extra 5 that would be great

what you really wanna work on tho is lats either by lat pulldowns or bent over rows are really good..... biceps only really help alot on inside grip pull-ups and correct me if im wrong but isnt it just a straight bar you do it on in the military?