Registered User username1287490's Avatar
    username1287490 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) username1287490 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) username1287490 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) username1287490 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bigger BB Bench press!

I am currently weak. I want to go from 85# bench to 225# in six months. Can it be done? Can a person go us 5# a week? Am I insane? I only do upper body work(the legs don't work). Pointers, comments. anything?

ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExTeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion, it's best if you only increase the weight by 5 lbs a week. That gives you 25lbs a month.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by pkstock View Post
    I am currently weak. I want to go from 85# bench to 225# in six months. Can it be done? Can a person go us 5# a week? Am I insane? I only do upper body work(the legs don't work). Pointers, comments. anything?
    85 to 225 in six months is a lot, might be possible but you'll have to work, I myself like the 5 x 5 system, try using 80% of your 1RM for 3 sets of 5 reps after 2 warmup sets and increase the weight 5lbs each time you do bench press, look into the bench scheme in the rippetoes workout, rippetoes is originally a full body workout but you could always just do the upper work only, so for you I think that would be:

week 1

day 1

bench 3 x 5
    rows 3 x 5

day 2

military press 3 x 5
    pullups or pulldowns 3 x 5

day 3

bench 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than day 1)
    rows 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than day 1)

week 2

day 1

military press 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than last session)
    pullups or pulldowns 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than last session)

day 2

bench 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than last session)
    rows 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than last session)

day 3

military press 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than day 1)
    pullups or pulldowns 3 x 5 (5lbs heavier than day 1)

think you get the idea, just ride something like this till the gains stop coming, than you could always try adding 2.5lbs each session and then maybe switch to something else but I think something like that would work for you.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel