OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000)

Question about olive oil

What is the reasoning behind having extra virgin olive oil compared to regular 100% olive oil, and other oils such as canola oil? I compared the nutritional information and they're all the same.

MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    its all about class my man. some prefer the real classey stuff, others dont

BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BluSilver has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I believe extra virgin is less processed. Heck, I can't really remember.
    On top of my game, and it don't stop til my hip don't hop anymore.

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BluSilver
    I believe extra virgin is less processed. Heck, I can't really remember.
    extra virgin is the least processed, and the most-well absorbed by your body. Therefore your body will actually be able to use the healthy fats from extra virgin than it would if it were coming from light virgin or canola.
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarlboroMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im on to you ShotPut15, Im on to you.

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MarlboroMan
    Im on to you ShotPut15, Im on to you.
    OH NO YOU'VE CAUGHT ME!!!!
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000) OhioUstud is just really nice. (+1000)
    anyone else?

_____________________ SpreeWheels24's Avatar
    SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpreeWheels24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What everyone else said, plus they cost more.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Probably more than you care to know
    http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,129,00.html

"Olive Oil Labeling Terms
    Extra Light: Olive oil that has been refined to produce a lighter color and flavor. Extra light olive oil is ideal for foods where an olive oil flavor would be intrusive (baking, for example). Extra Light has the same amount of calories and fat content as the other types of olive oil.

Extra Virgin: This is olive oil that is from the first pressing of the olives and has a low acid content and a delicate flavor. It is mechanically produced (pressed, rather than chemically refined), and has an oleic acid level under 1%. Industry standards stipulate that extra virgin olive oil must be free of acidity, expressed as oleic acid of not more than 1 gram per 100 grams (1%). But in addition to this quantitative analysis, olive oil is also put through a more subjective test by a panel of experts who taste and smell the olive oil and then rate it on a 9-point scale: The oil must score 6.5 or higher to receive "extra virgin" designation.

First Cold Press: These olive oils are derived from the first pressing, without heat applied, and are more expensive, and have a full, rich, flavor with much of the original olive's flavor maintained in the oil. Olive oils with "first cold press" on their labels indicate that they are of superior quality due to the fact that at no point in production has heat been used to process the olive oil.

Pure: "Pure" olive oil consists of a blend of virgin olive oil and refined olive oil derived from the chemical extraction of oil from the remaining pulp leftover after cold pressing. These olive oils tend to have little flavor and are best used for sauteing rather than salads.

Refined: Olive oil derived from virgin olive oils by refining methods which do not lead to alterations in the initial structure. Olive oil that is labeled as "Pure" or "Original" or "Light" indicates that the oil has been refined, rather than pressed.

Virgin: Virgin olive oil is mechanically produced, with acidity of between 1% and 3%. Virgin olive oil comes from the second cold pressing of the olives and left over pulp, and few producers in the U.S. market olive oil that isn't virgin. "
    Unaffiliated.

Registered User LastIncarnation's Avatar
    LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LastIncarnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OhioUstud
    What is the reasoning behind having extra virgin olive oil compared to regular 100% olive oil, and other oils such as canola oil? I compared the nutritional information and they're all the same.
    Olive oil doesn't hold up to high temperature cooking as well as canola does, so use canola in that application.

Originally Posted by xxghostxx
    Probably more than you care to know
    http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,129,00.html

"Olive Oil Labeling Terms
    Extra Light: Olive oil that has been refined to produce a lighter color and flavor. Extra light olive oil is ideal for foods where an olive oil flavor would be intrusive (baking, for example). Extra Light has the same amount of calories and fat content as the other types of olive oil.

Extra Virgin: This is olive oil that is from the first pressing of the olives and has a low acid content and a delicate flavor. It is mechanically produced (pressed, rather than chemically refined), and has an oleic acid level under 1%. Industry standards stipulate that extra virgin olive oil must be free of acidity, expressed as oleic acid of not more than 1 gram per 100 grams (1%). But in addition to this quantitative analysis, olive oil is also put through a more subjective test by a panel of experts who taste and smell the olive oil and then rate it on a 9-point scale: The oil must score 6.5 or higher to receive "extra virgin" designation.

First Cold Press: These olive oils are derived from the first pressing, without heat applied, and are more expensive, and have a full, rich, flavor with much of the original olive's flavor maintained in the oil. Olive oils with "first cold press" on their labels indicate that they are of superior quality due to the fact that at no point in production has heat been used to process the olive oil.

Pure: "Pure" olive oil consists of a blend of virgin olive oil and refined olive oil derived from the chemical extraction of oil from the remaining pulp leftover after cold pressing. These olive oils tend to have little flavor and are best used for sauteing rather than salads.

Refined: Olive oil derived from virgin olive oils by refining methods which do not lead to alterations in the initial structure. Olive oil that is labeled as "Pure" or "Original" or "Light" indicates that the oil has been refined, rather than pressed.

Virgin: Virgin olive oil is mechanically produced, with acidity of between 1% and 3%. Virgin olive oil comes from the second cold pressing of the olives and left over pulp, and few producers in the U.S. market olive oil that isn't virgin. "

But what are the nutritional advantages?

reps for an answer about nutritional advantages

Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.internationaloliveoil.org...p?lang=english

No nutritional difference between the variety grades.

Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jeff20B is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Extra virgin olive oil, by Italian law, is cold expeller pressed. Canola oil, on the other hand, goes through a very harsh process of deoderizing and intense heating to reduce the erucic acid content. During heating, any possible omega-3 and omega-6 health benefits it may have had, are destroyed.