EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

heavy weight low reps VS light weight more reps

im on my bros sn my varsity football coach ( he was all state in high school played at central michigan was MVP his senior year for the team and was ALL MAAC he benched 550 in college he currently hold central michigans bench record
    well any ways im gonna be playing varsity linebacker as a soph. right now im 5 9 and 160 bench 225 and im trying to build mass and weight so i was in the weight room repping 185 5 times for 5 sets and he tells me that i need to atleast get 8-10 reps in and only 3 sets of 165 the guy benched 550 in college so i wanna listen to his advice lol but ive heard heavy weight less reps makes u stronger and more mass
    which do i believe thanks for any advice
    Height-6'1
    wieght-185(bulking to 190)
    bench-255(gotta get 265 by JUNE)
    current supps-WHEY
    sqaut-330(90deg. not ass to grass...)

pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    switch it up every time. do 3x10 one time than next time you do it do 3x5 with heavier weight
    6'5 285ibs

Boomer Sooner.

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    How about doing 185 5x5 on bench followed by incline/decline bench 3x8-10 w/ 65 pounds dumbbells? The NSCA recently posted an article about a study done that showed following high intensity (5 sets @ 90% of 1RM w/ full rest periods in between) resistance training with 1 set of lower intensity (50% of 1RM) lifting with 30 seconds after the last set of high intensity was more benficial for strength gains than just ordinary high intensity sets by themselves.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000)

Lightbulb

i do 120% for 6 reps with a spotter. and 80-90% for 8-10reps. 6 reps is for strenght and power while 8-10 reps are for hypertrophy and mass. u can choose wither according to ur goal. this is what i ve been doin for my rugby training
    live strong, be strong

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kingcarlos
    i do 120% for 6 reps with a spotter. and 80-90% for 8-10reps. 6 reps is for strenght and power while 8-10 reps are for hypertrophy and mass. u can choose wither according to ur goal. this is what i ve been doin for my rugby training

ah please dont suggest this for someone to do.. its ok once in a while but noone of this destroying cns stuff please... u are not really lifting it u are getting a potter to lift it...

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    wll this opens a question...

10x3 or 3x10 what is better... both same tut etc but with 10x3 u can lift more weight...

i like doin a nice mixture....

kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so, what u suggest is the best for strenght training, scott?
    live strong, be strong

runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness
    How about doing 185 5x5 on bench followed by incline/decline bench 3x8-10 w/ 65 pounds dumbbells? The NSCA recently posted an article about a study done that showed following high intensity (5 sets @ 90% of 1RM w/ full rest periods in between) resistance training with 1 set of lower intensity (50% of 1RM) lifting with 30 seconds after the last set of high intensity was more benficial for strength gains than just ordinary high intensity sets by themselves.
    Jhawk -

Good point. We use this concept in our WS4SB program. On the ME day, we will work up to a 1-5RM. After doing the ME lift, we will follow that with a supplemental lift (usually a DB chest workout for upper body or a unilateral movement for lower body) using a 3x10-15 workout.

runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by scott_donald
    ah please dont suggest this for someone to do.. its ok once in a while but noone of this destroying cns stuff please... u are not really lifting it u are getting a potter to lift it...
    Scott -

I couldn't agree more!

While overload eccentric training may have some use as a highly-specialized training modality, I would never recommend it as a regular routine.

In fact, one of the things that absolutely drives me nuts is when you go to a gym and some guy asks you to spot him on bench and he is using a weight
    that he clearly cannot do for even one rep. What happens? You stand over the guy and basically perform 5 reps of deadlift. Then the guy almost always has the balls to get up after his "set" and say something like "How much did you help me on those?"

That just kills me!

it depends. i can do the first 4 reps but need help for the last 2. so i think its diff for each person.
    live strong, be strong

TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You should bench twice a week. One time it should be lighter explosive lifting and the next time it should be a heavy bench with lower reps but still move the bar as fast as you can for that weight.

so, what u suggest is the best for strenght training, scott?

nothing is best but seriously search more...

it depends. i can do the first 4 reps but need help for the last 2. so i think its diff for each person.

no way can u do 4 reps with 120% max...

Originally Posted by TOF44
    You should bench twice a week. One time it should be lighter explosive lifting and the next time it should be a heavy bench with lower reps but still move the bar as fast as you can for that weight.

ie westside principles of ME and DE...

Unhappy

looks like i ve to try alot before doin the best reps and sets for my strenght and power growth..
    live strong, be strong

TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TOF44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Scott you are correct west side principles, but for me renegade training principles because that is the program i use, but west side also does it and both programs are very good and know their stuff

IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IllumX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    no way can u do 4 reps with 120% max...
    the spotter does most of the work in that case.

the spotter come in at the 3 rd rep. it is a kind of cheat rep method.
    live strong, be strong

Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    the spotter come in at the 3 rd rep. it is a kind of cheat rep method.
    what he's getting at is that if you can perform 3 reps at 120% of your 1 rep max that weight is no longer your 1 rep max. You can't perform more than 1 rep of your 1 rep max.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbish77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Would upperbody plyometrics be an Ok replacement for the DE day? Things like explosive pushups, explosive dips, etc...

Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness
    what he's getting at is that if you can perform 3 reps at 120% of your 1 rep max that weight is no longer your 1 rep max. You can't perform more than 1 rep of your 1 rep max.
    so u r saying that my 100% is my 1 rep max?
    its pretty comfusing frm what i understand frm my coach. but maybe i try ur method since i juz finished my season
    live strong, be strong

so u r saying that my 100% is my 1 rep max?
    its pretty comfusing frm what i understand frm my coach. but maybe i try ur method since i juz finished my season
    Think about it. Your 1 rep max is the weight that you cannot perform anymore than 1 time. Thus 100% of your 1 rep max would be your 1 rep max. There's no way to perform 3 reps on your own with 120% of your 1 rep max.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Originally Posted by dbish77
    Would upperbody plyometrics be an Ok replacement for the DE day? Things like explosive pushups, explosive dips, etc...

hmmm guess so... using a DE day is obviously not the only way to do it...

right now i do

upper ME
    Lower Plyo
    Lower ME
    Upper Plyo
    Upper DE

monday to friday on a three week loading and liking the results so far...

Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Upperbody plyos are one of my favorite things. I like to have my body in sortof a pushup position between two tables with my hands on the tables and then bounce off the tables and onto pushup position on the ground and immediatly bounce back up to the tables. I think it is a great excersise to build explosiveness.
    Last edited by Backa53; 04-17-2005 at 05:48 PM. Reason: confusing typo

Originally Posted by Backa53
    Upperbody plyos are one of my favorite things. I like to have my body in sortof a pushup position between two tables with my hands on the tables and then bounce off the tables and onto pushup position on the ground and immediatly bounce back up to the tables. I think it is a great excersise to build explosiveness.

hmmm wonder if u arean evo sport person... how the hell u manage to get back up...

Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmmm wonder if u arean evo sport person... how the hell u manage to get back up...
    YEAH, I got the excersise from reading up on the evo sport stuff after that Archuleta thread a little while back. Myself and my friends always do these things and I am the only one who can successfully get back up onto the tables. I guess I just have good explosive power.

Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Great wanderer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do 120% for 6 reps with a spotter. and 80-90% for 8-10reps.
    Then your doing nothing. You just tire out your spotter. Do it on your own or take off the weight. A stick arm guy can bench 500 if a SHW weightlifter spots him and shrugs it up ... this is the joke of "two man saw"

xxxxxxxxx

Shady,

Your coach: STEEEERIODS. Many years ago (I mean before steroids) nobody benched 550. Perhaps one or two exceptions per century but not average football coach or player. I can say 99% of strength sport pros in america take it.

If you take steroids you can do ****s in gym and know nothing about training and still get big numbers. Cost is your life and health.

Periodization. Everything works, but only for a brief while. Efficiency of a specific range decreases in as short as 1 to 6 workouts. From 1 to 50 reps, it benefits, particularly you are not concerning only about 1RM poundages (as in PL/ Oly).
    Train heavy. Train smart.

EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmericanShady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hahaah my coach was never on steriods ........... he went to central michigan where they have one of the best gyms and best sports trainer in america he has our high school record of 410 ........... and you can gain 115 pounds on your bench press in 4 years if you have a correct diet and obviously you have never played college football and you dont know how hard they work you .. he said at central they did every rep til failure...... he doesnt lift ne more and the other day in the weight room he repped 225 like it was the 45pounds bar
    Height-6'1
    wieght-185(bulking to 190)
    bench-255(gotta get 265 by JUNE)
    current supps-WHEY
    sqaut-330(90deg. not ass to grass...)

i ve been dropping the idea of that 120% thing now. juz started my 5x5 today. the workout is superb and i think this programme will truly help me in strenght building
    live strong, be strong