SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Herniated disc: Ab Workout replacement

is there a back problem-safe alternative to a sit up? I can't do ab benches rollers balls or anything like that I searched adn didn't find anything specific
    DATE : HEIGHT : WEIGHT : BF% : NOTE
    12-01-04 : 6'2 : 220 : ? : End of Football Season. whey only
    7-20-05 : 6'3" : 225 : ? :Quit football, moved to AR
    5-25-06 : 6'3" : 258 : ? : Herniated disc, began cardio
    9-10-06 : 6'3" : 216 : 26% : Began Weights again
    10-09-06 : 6'3" : 209 : 24% : Doc's orders after injection, no weights

Goal:
    BF%:15
    Current: 20% (11-10-06)

"[Being Christian] is a battle, no one said it's easy, it's a battle, that's why we've got that big book" - John Piper

josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I'm not doctor so ask yours before doing this, but my friend has a herniated disc and he does hanging knee raises.

cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cal62887 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say leg raises and perhaps planks
    Team HALEO
    ‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Joey - 10/16/2011

Mod Hated My Prev Title b.spencer's Avatar
    b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends on the location of the herniation. Mine is lumbar-sacral area (L5/S1). If yours is similar, here are some basic ab exercises you can do in recovery (Do in sets of 15-20):

1) Pelvic Tilts -

Starting Position: Lie on your back on a table or firm surface. Your feet are flat on the surface and the knees are bent.
    Action: Push the small of your back into the floor by pulling the lower abdominal muscles up and in. Hold your back flat while breathing easily in and out. Hold for five seconds. Do not hold breath.

2) Lower Abdominal Exercises
    Starting Position: Lie on your back on a table or firm surface. Knees bent and feet flat on the table. Flatten your back to the floor by pulling your abdominal muscles up and in.
    Action:
    1) Bring one knee toward your chest. Hold this position for 5 seconds. Lower your leg to the starting position. Then repeat on your opposite knee.
    2) Bring one knee toward your chest. Straighten the knee Hold for 5 seconds Slowly lower the leg to the starting position. Repeat on opposite leg.
    3) Raise your leg keeping your knee straight. Hold for 5 seconds. Slowly lower the leg to the floor. Repeat on the opposite leg.

Maintain your pelvic tilt and keep your resting leg relaxed at all times. Do not hold your breath.

3)Curl Ups (3 different positions)
    Starting Position: Lie on your back on a table or flat surface. Your feet are flat on the surface and your knees are bent. Maintain your pelvic tilt for the curl up exercises.
    Action:
    1) Slowly reach your arms in front of you as much as possible, curling your trunk. Slowly keep the neck muscles relaxed. Breathe normally. Slowly return to the starting position. Do Not Cause Pain.
    2) Fold your arms on your chest. Tuck your chin to your chest and slowly reach your elbows to your knees, curling your trunk. Keep neck muscles relaxed and breathe normally Return to the starting position.
    3) With your hands behind your head, slowly curl your head to your chest and then your trunk. Relax, breathe and then slowly return to the starting position.

With enough recovery time and strengthening, you should be able to add weighted machine crunches, as long as you maintain the pelvic tilt position. The hanging raises took time, but I did them as well. I also do curl ups on my gyms body weight ab machine and the stability ball. With 5 seconds hold on each rep you feel it in the abs very quickly. In fact, the only thing I really can't do are decline sit ups and I'm about 6 months post injury.
    Last edited by b.spencer; 09-12-2007 at 06:57 AM.
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They'll race behind you. They will stumble; they will fall. But, in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders." Jor-El
    ---
    Kris Gethin's Body By Design, pg. 43/44 (Yes, that s me)