User Name has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't do crunches because of back pain - what are my options?

every time i do crunches, after 12 or so reps my back starts really hurting, think this is cause of a mild scholiosis i have, i'm able to do decline bench sit-ups without pain and...the exercise where ur suspended and u lift ur legs (forget what u call it)

is this enough exercises for my abs, or is there anything else i should try?

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    trying doing them with your legs straight instead of bent
    Chicks dig big calves

conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50) conzani will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by User Name
    every time i do crunches, after 12 or so reps my back starts really hurting, think this is cause of a mild scholiosis i have, i'm able to do decline bench sit-ups without pain and...the exercise where ur suspended and u lift ur legs (forget what u call it)

is this enough exercises for my abs, or is there anything else i should try?
    To make crunches easier on the back you could try tightening the abs to place more emphasise on abs. The exercise you are thinking of is hanging leg raises. If crunches negatively effect you back try focasing on core strenghtening lifts such as squats, deadlifts, and standing exercises such as standing military press (providing your back is ok and strong enough).

4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The declin stit-ups and hanging leg lifts are hitting your upper and lower abs, so crunches aren't going to add much more. You may try putting a rolled-up towel in the small of your back...
    The internet is equalled only by public education and network news in its ability to spread disinformation at an alarming rate...

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    get a swiss ball. Those things are great for your back, and easy to crunches on
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) sqeeze hard is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb Mistake

Dude, do you know that when you train a muscle you have to train the opposing one(s)? My coach at the gym told me "one set of crunches, one set of hyperextensions". I don't have a strong lower back and I can only do hyperextensions. Look at those guys who train thei biceps twice a week and forget all about the triceps and then they complain of elbow pain. Or those guys who bench so much and do 2-3 easy back sets and then accuse shoulder pain. Injury will arise when opposing muscles cannot balance strenght, when one is way stronger than another.
    So with the abs - work on the lower back. Do abs and lowerback in a superset, like I do. Finish off with a set of abs and continue with a set of hyperextensions. Not only will this strenghten your midsection, but will also put an end to any pain related this problem.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigpump23
    trying doing them with your legs straight instead of bent

bump
    Chicks dig big calves

icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by bigpump23
    bump

when doing them straight it causes more damage dude, as the plates in your lower back are flat and when rising up they over lap and rub causing moe pain.

what i would suggest is taking olive oil or glucosamine, do hyperextensions, to try to rebalance out your core.
    Starting Weight: 125lbs - dec 2004
    Weight Now: 190lbs - April 2009
    Future Goal: 200lbs
    Height: 5ft 8inches
    Training Time: 4years 5Months

Updated: April 09
    Pic is in my Profile!!
    65lbs gained - 4years 2Months

" Bodybuilding starts from the fridge! that doesnt mean deadlift it! " LOL

Originally Posted by icepack
    when doing them straight it causes more damage dude, as the plates in your lower back are flat and when rising up they over lap and rub causing moe pain.

what i would suggest is taking olive oil or glucosamine, do hyperextensions, to try to rebalance out your core.

not at all actually, therapists do them with clients with back pain all the time.
    Chicks dig big calves

scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scrappy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If that were true any flexion of your uppr and lower body would cause that. Try reading some basics in physiology and kinesiology.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I agree with you, having the legs straight when doing leg raises stresses your lower back a lot more...you don't really know it until you have back problems, which I've had for some time now, so I know what it's like. I have strong abs, but certain exercises still kill my back, like V-situps, and hanging knee raises, my back doesn't like either. Some of those put too much stress on the back. Do bicycles, those are good for the lower abs and don't strain the back much. But if you go to a gym, definitely use their swiss ball, your back will thank you for it
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.