SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10) SpecTheIntro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about squat and deadlift weight.

Hey everyone. I was wondering what a good ratio of weight lifted/body weight was for the squat and the deadlift? I'm 5'10", 190 lbs, and I'm just not sure what I should be aiming for here. I started squatting and deadlifting only five months ago, so I'm relatively new to the exercise: I've been very careful about my form, and I think that caution has led to me not putting enough weight on the bar for real stimulation. As of now, here's what I've been doing:

Squats: 3 sets of 10, 135lbs.
    Deadlift: 3 sets of 10, 125lbs.

I couldn't really tell you if I'm working to failure. The first times I tried the exercises I thought I was going to vomit. I've had that feeling a few times since, mostly when I'd been out of the gym for a week or so. Normally the last rep or two of the squat is where I really have to struggle to get the weight back up.

Now, I've seen some much higher numbers on the boards, and I expect that's normal, but in this case I think I'm actually undertraining. I'm not in olympic-athlete shape but I do run a 7 minute mile, and have practiced kung fu for well over 7 years, and on top of that genetics have given me very large legs. (You should see my uncles.) So, within reason, what sort of numbers should a person of my size, in relatively good shape, be aiming for? Any help is appreciated.

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, take some of the numbers on here with a grain of salt. Its usually their E-Squats and E-Deads.

Put another 15lbs on there and try for some 6-8 rep ranges as well instead of just 3 sets of 10 with same weight each time.
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SpecTheIntro
    Hey everyone. I was wondering what a good ratio of weight lifted/body weight was for the squat and the deadlift? I'm 5'10", 190 lbs, and I'm just not sure what I should be aiming for here. I started squatting and deadlifting only five months ago, so I'm relatively new to the exercise: I've been very careful about my form, and I think that caution has led to me not putting enough weight on the bar for real stimulation. As of now, here's what I've been doing:

Squats: 3 sets of 10, 135lbs.
    Deadlift: 3 sets of 10, 125lbs.

I couldn't really tell you if I'm working to failure. The first times I tried the exercises I thought I was going to vomit. I've had that feeling a few times since, mostly when I'd been out of the gym for a week or so. Normally the last rep or two of the squat is where I really have to struggle to get the weight back up.

Now, I've seen some much higher numbers on the boards, and I expect that's normal, but in this case I think I'm actually undertraining. I'm not in olympic-athlete shape but I do run a 7 minute mile, and have practiced kung fu for well over 7 years, and on top of that genetics have given me very large legs. (You should see my uncles.) So, within reason, what sort of numbers should a person of my size, in relatively good shape, be aiming for? Any help is appreciated.
    You should aim for what you can handle, using progressive overload (see below)

Your getting strong when you can do 2x your weight.

Its hard to say without knowing your size and experience level

I squat sets with 275-315 (max 435) and pull with set of 225-315 (max 475)

I use progressive overload based on sets of 12.

basically I do 4 sets of 12, if I can do all sets with 12 reps i increase weight.

DO NOT INCLUDE WARMUP

I did deadlifts like this last night

1 warmup (135)
    2 warmup (225)
    3 315 x 12
    4 315x 12
    5 315 x 9 (I was going for 12, so this was to failure)
    6 315 x 8 (I was going for 12, so this was to failure)

dont worry about weight, thats for the kids, just go for your own limits. Like I said use 4-6 sets and no more then 12 reps, if you can complete all sets fully then increase weight.

the most important thing with powerlifting is good form. Make sure your squats are full (parallel or lower, top of thigh) and make sure your pulls are done without rounding your back or shruging. These 2 exercises are by far the best thing you can do for overall fitness.

good luck
    When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee, thats a moray.