Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Leg extensions...and stupid "suggestions"

notAlright, today I was weighlifting and the strangest things were happening. Well, for one I was getting "suggestions" and "tips" from others, and one was even corrected by his coach and told that he was doing it wrong. But here is my thing...I was on the leg extension machine, I put on the usual 100 pounds, and began. First, this guy on the machine next to me first told me to go slower....so okay I was going slower...then he "suggested" to take off some weight to allow me to go slower and extend my leg all the way up. So here I am at 75 lbs...doing just fine, and he gets up and takes off another 25 pounds and keeps telling me to extend my legs higher, and finally I was just like..."dude this is as far as I can go!" and he finally went back and did leg curls. So alright, back when he told me to extend my leg completely, he informed me that this exercise "tones" your muscles...apparently it doesn't build any but it just "tones". So I bit my tongue with that hollow thought of his and just went on nodding my head at what he said. So here is my question...do leg extensions JUST tone muscle or what, because I know damn well that there are few exercises that just "tone" muscles. So I am expecting to hear a lot of big NO's to this one. I just had to tell you guys because...well it kinda pissed me off lol. Thanks guys!
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

tops2heavy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tops2heavy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tops2heavy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tops2heavy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    nope no such thing as toning

1 rep more then others dmspokane's Avatar
    dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmspokane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tops2heavy
    nope no such thing as toning
    agreed the guy was a dumbass. If it is enough force it will break down the muscle tissue
    6'0"
    200lbs
    10% BF
    8.5% and 196lbs 04/26/2005
    NASM, APEX, IFPA certified Personal trainer

Registered User footballplaya37's Avatar
    footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballplaya37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No they can build strength and mass.

Although I dont know how you were doing them exactly, it is better to extend the legs fully and squeeze for a second.

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What he should have said was "you should be over there on the rack doing squats"

tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BoxSquat
    What he should have said was "you should be over there on the rack doing squats"
    agreed

seriously though, there's no such thing as "toning"; and do yourself a favor and get an mp3 player and listen to music during your workout so dumb ****s don't keep interrupting you (it doesnt stop all of them, but it will stop most of them.)
    i represent angry, gun-toting, meat-eating ****ing people!

asurock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by tbomb
    agreed

seriously though, there's no such thing as "toning"; and do yourself a favor and get an mp3 player and listen to music during your workout so dumb ****s don't keep interrupting you (it doesnt stop all of them, but it will stop most of them.)
    I like this idea (hopefully the guy doesn't start criticizing your MP3 player)...

fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fool boost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With leg extensions you can squeeze the muscle at the top and really focus on the negative. Static holds are good too.