I've made several abortive attempts to document my eating/lifting/running habits in different places - LiveJournal, private text documents, paper journals, etc. What I've really been looking for was a place where I could publicly post my workouts, but also have the benefit of a community to keep me honest. I was excited to finally find this forum
I am 24 years old, about 5'2", and I weight about 110lbs. I'm currently training for my first marathon (May 30). I run five days a week and lift three days a week, but I'm experimenting with cutting my running down to four days a week because I just can't handle the strain of running 6 - 22 miles a day plus lifting weights. After my marathon, I'm hoping to focus more on lifting (right now, I lift mainly to keep my bones and joints strong for running).
Through most of middle/high school, I was a hardcore distance runner, but slacked off badly when I got to college. I lifted weights and did a moderate amount of cardio through the end of college, and I looked great. When I graduated, got a job, and started marathon training, I started gaining fat, especially around my hips and gut. I'm not sure why this is happening, but it's frustrating, because I had nice defined abs when I was doing LESS work, and now that I'm doing more, I have a gut. GRRRR. My guess is that some of this has to to with the fact that I have a sedentary job where I'm sitting at a computer for 8+ hours straight. It also could be the fact that I'm getting older. I also feel very bloated all the time, which is probably accounting for most of the gut-bloatage, and I suspect it has to do with the fact that I drink tons of diet soda (high in sodium) and don't drink nearly enough water.
Some immediate goals:
- Finish my first marathon.
- Increase lean mass.
- Get rid of flabby stomach and love handles.
- Drink more water.
- Drink less caffeine.
My current vices:
- Caffeine addiction. I drink a ton of diet soda throughout the day and lately I have fallen into the habit of picking up a small coffee at the White Hen in the morning before work. Usually it's one of those horrible sugary concoctions, but I'm trying to move down to straight coffee, then eliminate it altogether. I've quit caffeine once or twice before, and after getting through the withdraw, I'd find myself horribly depressed.
- I almost never keep junk food in the house, because if I do, I'll overeat.
- I'm really bad about keeping up my protein intake. I have a modest income and I live in a big (expensive) city, so meat is a luxury for me. I rely more on whey protein, beans, canned tuna, nuts, peanut butter, and eggs for protein instead. I'm especially bad about drinking whey protein regularly because it makes me feel bloated and sort of sick afterwards.
I'm in the process of revamping my lifting schedule. Previously, I had been doing everything on machines and wasn't getting anything out of it. I did real squats with a 45-lb bar yesterday for the first time ever and it was great I don't have a lifting partner, so it's hard for me to do things that would require a spotter.
I plan on making one post a day listing what I ate and did, editing each post as the day goes on. Hopefully this will keep me on track I'm looking forward to checking out the other subforums as well.
Thread: Artemisia's Journal