tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Will squats make you faster?

Ok this summer im going to be doing the opposite of pretty much everyone else, bulking. I'm doing this because its optimal for me-- no school, so i can get in pretty much all my meals. I'm playing soccer in the fall, and since im an ecto and very hard gainer, i most likely won't be doing cardio the entire summer until a few weeks before soccer starts. My question: Will squats (and other leg exercies for that matter) make me faster, slower, or the same?
    For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) columbu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im bulking all summer too, im bulking for a good 8 months or so.

Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50) Graphite will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am bulking this summer also. I find it impossible to eat so much while at school.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tim1477
    Ok this summer im going to be doing the opposite of pretty much everyone else, bulking. I'm doing this because its optimal for me-- no school, so i can get in pretty much all my meals. I'm playing soccer in the fall, and since im an ecto and very hard gainer, i most likely won't be doing cardio the entire summer until a few weeks before soccer starts. My question: Will squats (and other leg exercies for that matter) make me faster, slower, or the same?
    Depends on how fast you train. Squat very fast and with light weight and you'll get fast. Squat slowly and with heavy weight and you'll get slow. Squat normaly and you'll probably stay about the same. If you want speed on those legs do plyos (depth jumps, vertical jumps, etc), snatches, cleans and lots of sprints.

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Squats are an olympic-type lift. The key element to squats is that it builds explosive power, especially if you train doing power/jump squats. Squats, power cleans, and snatches all incorperate the element of explosivity. In turn, squats will make you faster, in the way that it can help with block starting in sprints. Along with better overall leg developement, squats will make you faster, when incorperating other leg exercises, it can definitely improve your running capabilities. Good luck!
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

This is Absolution! AmateurWrestler's Avatar
    AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    Depends on how fast you train. Squat very fast and with light weight and you'll get fast. Squat slowly and with heavy weight and you'll get slow. Squat normaly and you'll probably stay about the same. If you want speed on those legs do plyos (depth jumps, vertical jumps, etc), snatches, cleans and lots of sprints.

you can squat heavy weights all the time, you can still get incredibly fast, olympic sprints squart hard and heavy, very many athletes do. squatting light weight quick wont make you fast, and squatting them normally wont make you stay the same...come on dude, this post sucked. oh, and i would LOVE to see someone squat a heavy weight slowly, they would get ****ing crushed. on any squat, no matter what they weight, you explode as much as you can.
    "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

- Viktor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

"Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AmateurWrestler
    you can squat heavy weights all the time, you can still get incredibly fast, olympic sprints squart hard and heavy, very many athletes do. squatting light weight quick wont make you fast, and squatting them normally wont make you stay the same...come on dude, this post sucked. oh, and i would LOVE to see someone squat a heavy weight slowly, they would get ****ing crushed. on any squat, no matter what they weight, you explode as much as you can.
    General rule is, when you train slow you get slow. Heavy weight and slow tempo produces a higher force output but harms power output. That's the whole reason behind plyos - doing it as fast as you can with minimal resistance in order to increase power. That's also why so many powerlifters have a "speed day" (on wich they lift light and fast). And I can squat slow, busts the hell out of my quads, but I can do a few slow reps.

Originally Posted by ExRx Power Training Tidbits
    Slow Exercise Can Impair Power Development

Explosive exercise can enhance power production where as regular slow exercise may impair power development.

Hakkinen K, Myllyla E (1990). Acute effects of muscle fatigue and recovery on force proction and relaxation in endurance, power, and strength athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 30: 5-12.

Viitasalo JT, Aura O (1984). Seasonal fluctuations of force production in high jumpers. Can J Appl Sports Sci. 9: 209-213.
    Last edited by Uriel_da_man; 04-09-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squats will make you faster if you are weak for your height and bodyweight. Squats will make you slower if youre legs are bulky to the point where it interferes with your stride frequency. if you are a skinny kid they will definately help

irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishpowerhouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    I dont think squatting slowly will make you slow. Training your legs along with sprint exercises will make you alot faster, stronger and more stable on your feet as well. You will notice the difference in your explosive power. WILL NOT SLOW YOU DOWN.
    Bench - 115 kg
    squat - 150 kg
    deadlift - 210 kg

clean- 110 kg
    Body weight - 95kg

tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tim1477 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Furious E
    squats will make you faster if you are weak for your height and bodyweight. Squats will make you slower if youre legs are bulky to the point where it interferes with your stride frequency. if you are a skinny kid they will definately help
    yea im pretty skinny, i really need to hit my legs hard
    For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

kaspar6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kaspar6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kaspar6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kaspar6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about Strait Leg Deadlifts?

Call Me The Space Cowboy sholiz's Avatar
    sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Squats WILL. You're building explosivity if you do them in corrent manner, which in essence would build up power in your legs. Speed is a function of power.
    Admin @ Iron Mass [dot] com