Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does smoking stunt your growth?

Im only 5'7 right now. About a year ago, i made a terrible decision to start smoking and i am really addicted to cigarettes now. I dont know if ill be able to quit anytime soon. Although it hasnt been affecting my gains in the gym, I havent seen any linear growth in the past 8-9 months. Is it possible that smoking stunted my growth, despite the fact that everything else about me is pretty much healthy?

Defex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's probably just your natural growth roof. Don't sweat it. I've smoked years, and continued to grow. I highly doubt it was the cigarettes. The claims that it stunts your growth are based on ignorant information.
    "A great body does not cost five easy payments of $39.95"

Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think they have stunted your growth but they are definatly messing up your potential gains from lifting. Stop ASAP!
    "Power come from God."
    "Do or do not there is no try"
    "I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things."
    Current Height: 6'3''
    Current Weight: 212lbs.

WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHAT? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Big V
    I don't think they have stunted your growth but they are definatly messing up your potential gains from lifting. Stop ASAP!
    ]

That's not true I made my best gains when I was puffin about 3/4 pack a day, I'm not saying it helped my gains but it certaintly didn't hinder them.

Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So you think its okay to smoke? Inhaling 101 different toxins?

You think it helps your gains?

dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    gains? ohhhh you mean those 10 pound tumors attached to your lungs...yeah those are gains, if you wanna call them that
    It’s right now. It’s hard, fast, and crisp. I’m not dinking around in there. I’m not a ****ing cream puff. I’m a hammer. I’m a lightning bolt.” (Tom Brands - World & Olympic Champion and Assistant Coach U. of Iowa)

Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rookie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by dez/null
    gains? ohhhh you mean those 10 pound tumors attached to your lungs...yeah those are gains, if you wanna call them that

Heh. I agree. Those are the gains you will get.

IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronBalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys, I know i need to stop smoking soon before it takes over my life. its hard going cold turkey, I know your smokers out there understand me.

metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) metalseth is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hey, i smoked for about 3 years (15-18) and quit last dec. for about 5 months and then started again on and off and started full blown again in may. i recently quit again and havent had a cig in almost a month now. buy some nicorette gum. it works. the main thing is you HAVE to have the will to quit. you really have to want it. if you stop and then still have one every once and a while it could fuk everything up really fast. thats what happened to me. and as far as its effects on lifting, when i started again after having quit once i noticed a definite decrease in strength and gains immediately. within the first week of stopping again my strength went back up and continued to. good luck.

Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Malbien has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It may not hinder your gains or stunt your growth but it will shave a few years off of your life

NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NickM234 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If your gonna smoke you might as well juice instead. It would be less harmful and youd get something out of it.
    weight training is the easiest thing to understand and the hardest to actually implement. - Dr. Ken Leistner

Miracles are attested, but what if they're instead some mix of charlantary, unfamiliar states of consciousness, misapprehensions of natural phenomena, and mental illness? No contemporary religion and no New Age belief seems to me to take sufficient account of the grandeur, magnificence, subtlety and intrcacy of the Universe revealed by science. The fact that so little of the findings of modern science is prefigured in Scripture to my mind casts further doubt on its divine inspiration. - Carl Sagan

THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) THEAPE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

no it wont stunt your growth but can give you lung cancer
    the ape is back and stronger then ever

bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i dont think itll really stunt your growth but could stunt you lifespan a lot. THe thing is i dont know how you could do all out heavy squats if your a smoker. I dont smoke and i struggle to catch my breath within a minute or 2 after a hard set of squats....

ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewark is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My dad has just recently quit smoking, he's been smoking about 15+ years and i'm really proud of him for stopping. If you are going to quit you have to be in the right mind and say 'never again' and not be one of those minds where your thinking 'oh i'll see how it goes'..

SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i smoke and have still seen good gains.

i started when when i was 12.....im 15 now.

but i also used to drink and smoke pot...but i quit all that. so all im left with is cigs. and i dont really want extra stress right now so im not quitting for another year or 2. but definetly want to quit soon.

i have still made good gains though. over my 3 years i have gained about 6 inches n my height. so dont worry about it.

Originally posted by SLTS

i have still made good gains though. over my 3 years i have gained about 6 inches n my height. so dont worry about it.
    Good for you. But im still going to worry about it. My parents recently caught me smoking, something that they really hate. For the sake of my parents (who are paying for my college tuition) and my own health, I will quit today. No more for me. Seriously thats it.

Registered User adrenalin18stud's Avatar
    adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adrenalin18stud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah quit smoking man, you might think its not doing anything bad for u now, like all those young pretty chicks that do it, i can't stand chicks that smoke..... but wait about 10 years and your health will decrease before your eyes, and you will start getting wrinckled up like an old man at age 33. good luck
    the more famous you get, its very important to keep your ego as low as possible.

KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerTrees will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by WHAT?
    ]

That's not true I made my best gains when I was puffin about 3/4 pack a day, I'm not saying it helped my gains but it certaintly didn't hinder them.

Slap yourself and then think about what you just said. It's not what you can see but what you can't see that's killing you.
    I should very much like to throw my glass at you sir but I shant for I fear that I will spill an ounce of more of my beer and that would sadly defeat the purpose of revenge because I will have suffed the loss of but one ounce of my precious firewater.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by IronBalls
    Thanks guys, I know i need to stop smoking soon before it takes over my life. its hard going cold turkey, I know your smokers out there understand me.
    Go with the patch bro. If you need any support shoot me a PM. I've quit drinking for 8 weeks and haven't gone more than 2 1/2 weeks in 4 years without a drink. Socially all my friends drink, last night I was literally having beer pushed into my face It was funny, it's all about mental will. I'm actually looking forward to it, you should too, it will make you strong mentally and spiritually to overcome something so addictive cold turkey.

ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by IronBalls View Post
    Im only 5'7 right now. About a year ago, i made a terrible decision to start smoking and i am really addicted to cigarettes now. I dont know if ill be able to quit anytime soon. Although it hasnt been affecting my gains in the gym, I havent seen any linear growth in the past 8-9 months. Is it possible that smoking stunted my growth, despite the fact that everything else about me is pretty much healthy?
    Well according to the most recent science, the answer to that is yes. How you may ask? Answer: It mutated a gene in your body that had that impact. Every 3 Cigarettes can mutate 1 gene. Heavy smokers mutate around 50,000 genes in their genome. They were so shocked by what they found they had the results redone a few times to make sure everything was correct. So if you want to be a mutant, then keep on smoking...

Ref:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37361582/ns/health-cancer/

denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) denbrkln has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Defex View Post
    That's probably just your natural growth roof. Don't sweat it. I've smoked years, and continued to grow. I highly doubt it was the cigarettes. The claims that it stunts your growth are based on ignorant information.
    You're only 5"7' btw, that's shorter than average so you're not in a position to talk about it not stunting growth here.

Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate View Post
    Well according to the most recent science, the answer to that is yes. How you may ask? Answer: It mutated a gene in your body that had that impact. Every 3 Cigarettes can mutate 1 gene. Heavy smokers mutate around 50,000 genes in their genome. They were so shocked by what they found they had the results redone a few times to make sure everything was correct. So if you want to be a mutant, then keep on smoking...

Ref:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37361582/ns/health-cancer/
    You completely misunderstood the article. It's impossible for any amount of cigarettes to mutate his genes to stop him growing. Things don't work like that. I won't explain here, it's obvious to anyone who took anatomy or genetics. This post is just wrong and you really need to brush up on your understanding of those two subjects.

And to OP, smoking is harmful but if you like me choose to enjoy a cig every now and then it's alright. Roll your own. It's $12.50 for a pack of organic American Spirit and I'm still barely halfway through after about 40 cigarettes. It's a lot healthier as well without the radioactive fertilizer and toxins found in pre-rolled cigarettes.

JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeSmoe32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP, quit as soon as you can. The more you wait the harder it is. I work around people who have smoked a majority of their lives (30-50 year olds) and the very first piece of advice that I heard from every single one of them is to not start.

Originally Posted by RetiredMod View Post
    Go with the patch bro. If you need any support shoot me a PM. I've quit drinking for 8 weeks and haven't gone more than 2 1/2 weeks in 4 years without a drink. Socially all my friends drink, last night I was literally having beer pushed into my face It was funny, it's all about mental will. I'm actually looking forward to it, you should too, it will make you strong mentally and spiritually to overcome something so addictive cold turkey.

Eh?
    I rep back. ALWAYS

Maxes

Lift : Start : Current : Goal
    Squat : 180 : 265 : 315
    Dead : 215 : 315 : 405
    Bench : 130 : 174 : 225 (current bench max is projected)

Check out my SS journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=486505421

Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I want to start smoking cigarettes for a good 3 months or so and get "addicted." then quit the next day, just to tell idiots who are "addicted" that they're pussies. LOL

strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) strkout35 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8 year bump............

rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) rsimpkins is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Chommer View Post
    I want to start smoking cigarettes for a good 3 months or so and get "addicted." then quit the next day, just to tell idiots who are "addicted" that they're pussies. LOL
    You do realize that most of these people have been smoking for decades not just 3 months; not to mention you don't even smoke so how are you supposed to know what you're talking about?
    Please don't call me lucky because I worked for this.

Registered User BurnAfterRollin's Avatar
    BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BurnAfterRollin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lmao try, quiting isn't that easy, I thought having a smoke every once a while wasn't addicting then you will find yourself a year later trying to quit.
    But thank God I quit it feels soo good .! and it was all cause of working out, if it wasn't for that I'd prob be killing my self today.

L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) L0GiK is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    please do ... cant wait to laugh at your ass when you realise how hard it is to quit. srs .. please do
    ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ PhD in Swag - Acquiring 'Champion of The Earth' status.

- Currently attempting to lift again, fingers crossed -

jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

smokes

smoked for years,i never do the same routine twice in a row.including abs

jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jorel23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by JoeSmoe32 View Post
    OP, quit as soon as you can. The more you wait the harder it is. I work around people who have smoked a majority of their lives (30-50 year olds) and the very first piece of advice that I heard from every single one of them is to not start.

Eh?
    sorry,been lift'n 23years cant keep your body fooled if u write **** down and have projected anything.know what muscle group is to b worked and make a decision about weight when u get in there.i never do the same workout twice in a row.need 2 complete workouts for each muscle group.except abs.they say dont train them every day,i do and i do the whole core.a different workout for everyday of the week.keeping reps between 8-12.i know someone is gonna say im wrong.but alas now u know the secret.much more to it.my workouts last 1 hour.maybe a little longer sometimes.i've compensated for everything.i'm 42 years old lots of trial and err.

smoke

shouldnt comment but i am.again.smoking decreases oxygen flow in your body.thats all.it can be gotten around.it shouldnt b affecting your gains