MustangChris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Newbie looking for general advice and encouragement

I would like to begin a more serious workout routine, but have some limitations. I do not currently have access to a gym, but will in a few weeks when i head back to school. Obviously things dont happen overnight, but I would like to start a few weeks early. I then need ideas for how to get going when I get back to the gym.
    I am 6'1 233 lbs with relitively mucsular legs, and a not so muscular everything else. (I love backpacking, and the hikes keep my legs in pretty good shape compared to the rest) I would like to lose a good bit of flab, so cardio is a must. At the same time I would like to increase the overall amount of muscle on my body, especially above the waist where I feel I am lacking most.
    I do about an hour or so of biking 2 times a week, and jogging for 1/2 hour 2 times a week. I also have a set of 25 lb dumbells at home which I have on and off been working my bi's with. In addition to this I have started a few sets of pushups, situps and the variations of the situp for a quick workout in the Am and Pm. I have also changed my diet to include a few less carbs (oh no, no more beer!!!) , a bit more protein and more healthy stuff.
    Once I go back to school, I will be looking for more advice on a more "full" workout including a bit of bulking, then some toning down the road. Does this seem like a good start?
    Also, any tips on getting motivated to keep up the workout would help. During the summer isnt bad, but when school rolls around andafter a day of class + work, sometimes I get lazy. Last year there was some haphazard working out, even with a set routine (if I made it to the gym), and there was a noticeable difference in the arms and back.

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Talking How's this for general encouragement?

Go Mustang, go!!
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's good you know what you wanna do man, with goals and all...thats a good start, write them down and put them somewhere and read them from time to time. I got pics of huge bodybuilders and I look at them occasionally for motivation. If you have any questions man, theres over 100 good, smart bro's on here who will be glad to help and welcome to the boards...YJ

Bender-Bot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off I would like to compliment you on your active lifestyle. You need to take some of that dedication over to weight lifting. (Easier said then done)
    If you have limited weights, what you are doing is fine. Maybe do some dumbell press lying on the floor. The range of motion isn't great but with 25 pound dumbells you could use this time to work on your form. I see that you work your Bi's but do you work your Tri's? Alt Dumbell extentions, and kickbacks with dumbells would be my suggestion. (Again, if you only have 2 dumbells)
    I would use this time to work on your form so that when you get to the gym you can lift the heavier weight properly. These couple of weeks would be a good time to work-out your brain as well. Try to find any info on the type of weight training you are interested in. (Powerlifting,Bodybuilding,Endurance)
    As for motivation.
    Take some pictures of your self. If you have a wife or girlfriend get her to do it for you. If you are a beginner you will see improvements very rapidly. This will give you "Proof" that your hard work is paying off.
    Hope I Gave you some good ideas.

MustangChris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Thanks guys, these are great. Keep 'em coming !

PS, What exactly are alt dumbell extensions? I want to work the tri's, just jever really figured out a good way to do it from home.

YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want huge tri's in a short amount of time, go with close grip bench, bar none the best bulking tri excercise, and also throw in skullcrushers and rope press downs. Theres a sticky on how to perform common excercises, it gives you details and actual videos to show you.